News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 rip off..cracked block

Started by DanielRobert, May 07, 2017, 06:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielRobert

Hi guys,
After a life time of GM cars I decided to go after a car I've always wanted. A 71/72 Charger with hide-away headlights( I bought a 72)

Well, after looking for a 440 to drop in , I come across a guy who says " complete 440 and runs good. If I'm lyin, you can kiss my ass on the highway in front of my friends"
Even tho he threatened me with that, I still went ahead and bought the motor. So, I started to tear it down and when I got the driver side exhaust manifold off, there was a hardened substance on the side of the block.  I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and sure enough....looks like a crack coming from the freeze plug area.
the engine is a 1975 engine from a truck(prob a motor home).
There's still plenty of 'car guys' out there that are looking to rip you off. I wish that mentality would go away.
Can this be welded and fixed or am I wasting my time?
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

c00nhunterjoe

Can it be welded- yes. Will it be the same as a block thats not cracked- no. Will it probably be ok in a street build- yeah. The cost for the repair will probably be more then another core.

ACUDANUT

Perfect choice buying a 72 Charger. :2thumbs:
Sorry about the Block. Any Good welder can fix that in a hour.  IT's worth a try. :2thumbs:

polywideblock

find someone to "cold stitch"  your block   there have been a few articles in hot rod etc over the years  

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

I don't understand the reference to kissing ass on a highway....Is that something that guy thought was funny or interesting?   :shruggy:

charger Downunder

[/quote]

daveco

If the block was original to the car or in some other way special or particularly valuable, the lockstitch type repair would be a good option.
Personally, if it's not any of those, I'd just look for another block.
R/Tree

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: DanielRobert on May 07, 2017, 06:22:32 PM

If I'm lyin, you can kiss my ass on the highway in front of my friends"

That should have been your cue to keep your money and walk away.

Like already suggested, might be best to buy a different block. Of course that one could be cracked too. Buying used can be a crap shoot. Good luck.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Nacho-RT74

Fix the block is a good option since doesn't seem to be on a critical area. But if you find a replacement I think is better
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

Call me lazy - I wouldn't mess with it. Of course, I live in an area where 440 engines/blocks are reasonably plentiful (I think there's at least 3 in my garage somewhere).

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset over buying it! I have been ripped off before as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70 sublime

That crack in that location would be hard to see for the guy that was selling the motor
Did you ever send him a picture of what you had found ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

alfaitalia

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 08, 2017, 12:20:15 PM
That crack in that location would be hard to see for the guy that was selling the motor

True...but I'm guessing the hard stuff it was covered in was a deliberate attempt to conceal the crack.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Bronzedodge

I have no idea if this product is any good or not.......:

https://muggyweld.com/cast-iron-repair
Mopar forever!

DanielRobert

I reached out to the guy and he actually responded. Says he has another engine to give me. That's a cool move on his part. I'd rather have have a non cracked block than
one that has to be repaired. We'll see.  And, yes, I was thinkin he was overselling with him telling me I could kiss his ass in front of his friends if he was lyin about the motor. I mean, what kind of reward is that for a warranty? lol

1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

68RT440

usually its...I'll kiss your ass in front of my buddies If I'm lying...not the other way around...lol
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

lukedukem

Quote from: DanielRobert on May 08, 2017, 07:30:55 PM
I reached out to the guy and he actually responded. Says he has another engine to give me. That's a cool move on his part. I'd rather have have a non cracked block than
one that has to be repaired. We'll see.  And, yes, I was thinkin he was overselling with him telling me I could kiss his ass in front of his friends if he was lyin about the motor. I mean, what kind of reward is that for a warranty? lol

This is great.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

70 sublime

Good to hear the seller is working with you on it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69rtse4spd

Glad to hear that. He didn't know about the crack, I sold a racer a 440 block years ago, got it a parts deal. Anyway told him if it's cracked, will replace it, he hot tanked it, it was, replaced it. So not everyone is out to screw someone, sometimes we just don't know.