News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

msd-6al vs tach

Started by sound5262, April 12, 2010, 08:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

after installing the new ignition system, the tach doesn't work anymore. knew this going in, bought the msd adaptor from yearone, installed it and it still doesn't work. anybody got any suggestions? i'm sure i'm not the only one that has changed out to this system. i would appreciate your input, steve

b5blue

Steve depending on the year of your car, if it's a factory tach it may have been made for a points dist. system. There was allot of trouble getting them to work "back in the day".

Cooter

Also, if you fired the car at all with the MSD hooked up to the stock tac, it will fry it and it will NOT work afterwards...Even with the adapter...I found this out the hard way with a 5.0 liter Mustang...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sound5262

i did contact msd @ problem and are checking in to it. 70 rr with factory tach. dont know @ starting it when it was hooked up, i do appreciate the responce from both of you. thanks agin, steve

1970Moparmann

We need to hear from "Master Ron".... I have the same problem.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemigeno

There are two different styles of adaptors: one for points-type distributors, and one for magnetic-pickup-type distributors.  If you happened to get the wrong adaptor, that could be the problem.

I'm going through the same issue with my R/T right now.  Last year the MP orange ignition box was dumped in favor of an MSD 6AL, and the tach has been dead ever since.  Never took the time to order the adaptor until last week, and I ordered the magnetic-pickup style since that's what I'm using.  It may be a few weeks yet before the adaptor gets installed, but hopefully it will do the trick. 

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemigeno on April 13, 2010, 11:34:42 AM
There are two different styles of adaptors: one for points-type distributors, and one for magnetic-pickup-type distributors.  If you happened to get the wrong adaptor, that could be the problem.

I'm going through the same issue with my R/T right now.  Last year the MP orange ignition box was dumped in favor of an MSD 6AL, and the tach has been dead ever since.  Never took the time to order the adaptor until last week, and I ordered the magnetic-pickup style since that's what I'm using.  It may be a few weeks yet before the adaptor gets installed, but hopefully it will do the trick. 

I wasn't aware of the adapters you guys are talking about.  Anyone have a product code?

hemigeno

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 13, 2010, 11:44:12 AM

I wasn't aware of the adapters you guys are talking about.  Anyone have a product code?

Try clicking on this link:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=tach+adapter&dds=1

Below are the wiring diagrams/instructions for the two types of adapters.  The 8920 will work with either, but the 8910 will apparently not work with magnetic-triggered distributors.

Hope this helps

:cheers:

1970Moparmann