News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

uhhhh, NASA wtf?

Started by TK73, March 26, 2010, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK73

NASA pays sky-high $66 a person for seminar snacks

A government watchdog says the nation's space agency paid the out-of-this-world price of $66 a person a day for bagels, cookies and juice at a conference.

The Associated Press
WASHINGTON —

A government watchdog says the nation's space agency paid the out-of-this-world price of $66 a person a day for bagels, cookies and juice at a conference.

The subject of the NASA seminar? It was a training session for its procurement officials - the people who do the buying with taxpayer funds. They were talking about how to determine reasonable prices.

The NASA Inspector General said that during the three-day conference in Baltimore in 2008, the 317 attendees snacked on soda, coffee, fruit, bagels and cookies at a cost of more than $62,000.

NASA has promised it will come up with better conference spending rules.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

PocketThunder

Yep, Gov't overspending like usual.  Remember that story on the several hundred dollar toilet seat?...??   :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 26, 2010, 11:47:53 AM
Yep, Gov't overspending like usual.  Remember that story on the several hundred dollar toilet seat?...??   :scratchchin:

shhh...that's what's paying for the maintenance on the UFO's we don't have at Area 51, which doesn't exist.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

hemi68charger

I know this, if true, is waste......... But what also is a waste is America's leadership in the Space Program (or the lack of it now).

Nuff said............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dans 68

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 26, 2010, 12:56:08 PM
I know this, if true, is waste......... But what also is a waste is America's leadership in the Space Program (or the lack of it now).

Nuff said............

Ditto.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

Is that considered irony - or does it just prove the need for the training session? :P

To be fair, "snacks" in this case it's more than junk pulled out of the vending machine. I'm sure it was catered and had attendants on duty as well (probably provided by the host hotel or conference center). Typically at a conference there's a break about every 2 hours so the attendants have to be there all day and the "snacks" have to be fresh. Could it have been cheaper? Yes, but I bet the costs for rooms and transportation makes this look like chump change.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

Quoteshhh...that's what's paying for the maintenance on the UFO's we don't have at Area 51, which doesn't exist.

Rumor has it that a lot of extra undocumented currency gets printed by the govt for those kinds of under-the-table purposes.  It's good for CIA deals with bad guys overseas, etc. 

It begs the question of what a "real" and "counterfeit" dollar really is.

bull

The US is more than $12 trillion in debt, what does it matter what we spend on snacks? It could be $66,000 each and it wouldn't make a difference. IMO we're no longer a sovereign nation.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on March 26, 2010, 11:25:49 PM
The US is more than $12 trillion in debt, what does it matter what we spend on snacks? It could be $66,000 each and it wouldn't make a difference. IMO we're no longer a sovereign nation.

x2 on that bull
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

Dick Cheney took his family's assets out of US dollars while he was the VP. 

Any questions? 

DodgeByDave

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 27, 2010, 10:24:30 AM
Quote from: bull on March 26, 2010, 11:25:49 PM

x2 on that bull

QuoteUS total debt: 56 trillion

Debt Clock

QuoteTotal US debt = Federal Government, State, Local, Business, Individual, and financial institutions

That isn't the scary number. The scary numbers are the debt per person (40,980) and the debt per taxpayer (115,408) (note: those two figures are based on the national debt)

Personal debt: All in trillions (total) 17, Mortgage 14, Consumer 2.4. 861 billion in credit card debt. 54k per person.

On topic, NASA gets a bum rap about certain expenses. Consider this. According to Mike Gray in "Angle of Attack" that:

QuoteFor some time Bob Gilruth and Max Faget had been wrestling with the problem of defining reliability.......They batted it back and forth and came up with 99% mission success and 99.9% crew safety

On the surface, just arbitrary numbers.

QuoteThough it had been plucked from the air in ten minutes, it was the product of vast exp, If they dropped one decimal place, the program costs half. Add one decimal place and there probably wouldn't be enough money on the planet to finish the job

Why?

QuoteIn the airplane business reliability is measured by testing until failure, then scheduling a time change well before the failure

For Apollo, that wouldn't work. For one, there were so many new parts, new materials, new technologies that you would have had to start that testing when christ was a pup. Kennedy did set the goal of "Before this decade is out".

SO what does that mean?

QuoteEngineering analysis and traceability. The saying was if you ordered a piece of plywood, there would be documentation all the way back to the tree it came from

Along came a whistleblower, cried to a congressman about 9 and 10 dollar bolts that were available at the hardware store for a nickle. The congressman called North American on the carpet:

QuoteThe letter found it's way into the hands of Olin "Tiger" Teague. Charlie Feltz had to drop everything and fly to Washington, when he arrived he explained that these bolts had to be certified at every step of the 11 required to manufacture, and that not only that the bolts had to be certified from the Mesabi Iron range all the way to finished product. When you factor in everything it turned out the damn bolt didn't cost 9 dollars, it was more like 32

66 bucks a person isn't that much for a catered lunch. I've been to places that wouldn't put a half a cracker of caviar on the table. I've drank whiskey that 66 dollars wouldn't buy a shot of.

At the same time, when you spend public money on lunch, I would think that bologna and ham salad would do.

Hey, when the president is flying in chef's to make pizza, it's time for everybody to get while the getting is good. Eventually the curtain will come down on this dog and pony show called congress.
III, we are everywhere