News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody watch"American Pickers" on the History channel?

Started by moparmoynihan, March 09, 2010, 01:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparmoynihan

I just watched the show. I loved it! It makes me want summer to come fast so I can car hunt :lol:
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

chargerboy69

I do watch the show too, it is good.  It is cool when they just stop at a old farm and go rooting through the barns.  I will also watch Pawn Stars which airs right before or after American Pickers.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

jeryst

I love Pawn Stars, but I dont really like the skinny guy on American Pickers. Dont know why, just dont like him.

RD

i like american pickers just because they get to go through alot of old junk and find cool stuff.. i would love to have that job!  pawn stars is awesome too, just because you never know what someone is going to bring into their store.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

The70RT

Last night they went where a guy had a bunch of old cars and I seen what looked to be a 68 or 69 Charger.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

they bought a 36 plymouth for way more then it was worth too , I did spy a late 50's finned desoto I would love to have .  Great show , but i agree the skinny guy is a weisel .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

When I saw the promos for "pickers" I thought it would be a lot different than it actually is. To me it's just "okay" because it's cool to see all the old junk & memorabilia. The part that I don't care for is to watch those two guys go out with the sole intention of getting something for way less than it's worth. That part isn't so entertaining. Now if they retitled the show "American Flippers" it would be more accurate.  :lol:

Reminds me of that short lived show where a couple of teams would compete by hunting down a classic car, haggle with the owner, pick the car apart for a dirt cheap price, then resell it to see who makes the highest profit.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

THE COLONEL

I for one, love that show!  Oh. I would love to do that too!! :2thumbs:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Brock Samson

I've watched a few of them now, and they don't seem to travel very far,..  :shruggy: and everything is pretty "country".
 I think that show is really low budget and shows only a very small fraction of what's actually going on. I've sold stuff for the last 10 years to collectors (mostly sports stuff) and believe me, what's out there among the more specific collectors would make your head spin. Some of these guys have budgets in the millions. They don't think much of hopping on a plane from Down Under or Europe or Canada and spending a weekend or even a few weeks or a month "picking" through folks stuff...
Some folks collect toys or movie props or things connected to specific passions they may have developed in their child hood, like star wars or wing cars or cruise ships or trains civil war stuff, or anything you can think of... beanie babies?..
Broken shit from 18 years ago..  :shruggy:
So now as the generations pass on, or folks IRAs 401Ks and pensions get decimated by the economy they look to sell dads' or grand dads' old stuff they never got into...   :rotz:
I like the Pawn Shop show much better,  it too is awefully contrived, but you the stuff that comes thru there is more varied and interesting to me and they get a little into expert history.. and I use that term loosely..

moparmoynihan

I know what you mean about calling the show American Flippers and agree whole heartily. It just gets me psyched up for the summer with all of the swap meets, car show and cruises. I'm also, always going "Car hunting", and this show does have the same spirit. Pawn Stars is awesome as well, that old man is funny.

TruckDriver

Quote from: RD on March 09, 2010, 09:18:08 AM
i like american pickers just because they get to go through alot of old junk and find cool stuff.. i would love to have that job!  pawn stars is awesome too, just because you never know what someone is going to bring into their store.
:iagree: I bet they find some pretty big spiders too,  :eek2: :lol:

Pawn Stars rocks! I really like those guys. The old man is my favorite dude. I have even learned a lot by watching the show when they go into the history of the stuff.

Quote from: The70RT on March 09, 2010, 10:07:43 AM
Last night they went where a guy had a bunch of old cars and I seen what looked to be a 68 or 69 Charger.

Kinda thought I saw that too. I want that old white '80's Dodge pickup with the extended cab and the short box on it. I never seen a '80's model set up like that before. Only the long boxes.

That one old lady sure had a lot of old Mustang stuff too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

moparstuart

Quote from: TruckDriver on March 09, 2010, 11:50:05 AM
Quote from: RD on March 09, 2010, 09:18:08 AM
i like american pickers just because they get to go through alot of old junk and find cool stuff.. i would love to have that job!  pawn stars is awesome too, just because you never know what someone is going to bring into their store.
:iagree: I bet they find some pretty big spiders too,  :eek2: :lol:

Pawn Stars rocks! I really like those guys. The old man is my favorite dude. I have even learned a lot by watching the show when they go into the history of the stuff.

Quote from: The70RT on March 09, 2010, 10:07:43 AM

Kinda thought I saw that too. I want that old white '80's Dodge pickup with the extended cab and the short box on it. I never seen a '80's model set up like that before. Only the long boxes.

That one old lady sure had a lot of old Mustang stuff too.
they stole some nice stuff from that old lady

Cooter

I don't like the idea of everybody now Thinking all of Grandads "Junk" is worth a fortune now that "American Flippers" bought one just like it and sold it for huge money...But, I did like the one show where they got run off by an angry Anti-flipper Like myself..

It's one thing if your looking for goodies to sell to rebuild a Car, antique furniture, or something your working on, but to just make a living at it burns me up...but alas, I can hate on flippers all I want, things will never change in that respect, as long as there's money to be made..Deals on things are gonna get harder and harder to find....So the next time your complaining about the rediculous prices on "junk", thank these guys and Barrett Jackson...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BronzeOnSteelies

My wife got me into Pickers and I got her into PawnStars. We finally have some common shows to watch together.                   :popcrn: :popcrn:
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

Brock Lee

I think the values quoted on Pickers is more realistic than Pawn Stars. Pawn Stars tends to throw out "Retail" high figures, though lower prices are talked about in negotiation, which gives the illusion he is beating the seller down.

Pickers values quoted seem much more realistic to what I see in the real world.

I like pawn stars, but I get the feeling it is scripted and totally set up. I sense a little set up in Pickers too, but it seems to be unscripted and spontaneous (like the amusement park ride they bought and left jacks and stuff were falling off the trailer as they dragged it home). The stuff Pickers find is more like what you really come across as well (I picked for years). Pawn Stars gets crazy cool stuff in that is either 100% real or very good fakes they detect. I still can't believe how fast they get stuff reconditioned as well.

moparstuart

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 09, 2010, 03:10:23 PM
I think the values quoted on Pickers is more realistic than Pawn Stars. Pawn Stars tends to throw out "Retail" high figures, though lower prices are talked about in negotiation, which gives the illusion he is beating the seller down.

Pickers values quoted seem much more realistic to what I see in the real world.

I like pawn stars, but I get the feeling it is scripted and totally set up. I sense a little set up in Pickers too, but it seems to be unscripted and spontaneous (like the amusement park ride they bought and left jacks and stuff were falling off the trailer as they dragged it home). The stuff Pickers find is more like what you really come across as well (I picked for years). Pawn Stars gets crazy cool stuff in that is either 100% real or very good fakes they detect. I still can't believe how fast they get stuff reconditioned as well.
I can believe they let there restoration guys surprise them with with higher bills ,  they wouold have to call me and update me before doing anything they didnt first quote .

RD

say what you must about flippers, but they find more stuff that collectors want and bring the items to market whereas the item may have stay "hid" in someone's junk pile (no matter what the item is).

everyone will flip if they feel they can make enough money off of it... period.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

moparmoynihan

The70RT

Quote from: RD on March 09, 2010, 08:51:07 PM
say what you must about flippers, but they find more stuff that collectors want and bring the items to market whereas the item may have stay "hid" in someone's junk pile (no matter what the item is).

Yep. If they take the money then everyones happy. If you work your ass off all your life it is nice to make easy money once in a while.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jeryst

I think Chum Lee on Pawn Stars is a real hoot!

They make that poor dude do everything dangerous.

hutch

I love American Pickers, the look on their face when they go into a basement and see some priceless items is great.

Pawn stars is good to but the son and his fat buddy chum are dumb as rocks and make it painful at times to listen to.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

rav440

right  :cheers:

i dont understand why FLIPPER is such a bad thing ? hell thats what our economic system is based on . i do the picker thing on a very small scale to make extra cash for my road runner build and other toys . why should i have to pay retail just because you are selling something ? are you willing to go the extra mile to market the item world wide , by opening an ebay or what everelse auction site to insure the highest price possible or are you just going list it in the local paper for full retail and mabey get the interest of 1 or 2 people calling you ?

i dont know how may times ive been at yard sales & flea markets and the person selling an item will not budge on the price because they seen it listed on EBAY for high $$ , not what it sold for . just what it was listed at and they expect to get the same price , im not saying i expect to get it for free , but do not expect me to pay full price either just because you tossed it in your truck and took it to the flea market .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Cooter

Quote from: rav440 on March 11, 2010, 04:50:49 PM

right  :cheers:

i dont understand why FLIPPER is such a bad thing ? hell thats what our economic system is based on . i do the picker thing on a very small scale to make extra cash for my road runner build and other toys .

"Flipping" isn't the "Bad" thing here...Making a living off flipping parts/cars for the sole purpose of not having actually work hard for your money is what burns me up...Hell, I've flipped parts/cars to get money for parts for my own projects...It's the ones that only have an interest in the hobby for what they can rake off of it in terms of profit that I was referring to...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"