News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf springs / Differential

Started by tylerk, March 03, 2010, 06:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerk

I'm getting closer to the point where I can look into having my leafsprings, differential, etc redone.
This is by no means my area of expertise, so I was wondering on average what it costs
to have the leafsprings rebuilt?  The differential?  Shocks and such?

Like I said, this isn't my area really, and at this point I don't know if I really have one lol.
So just trying to get an idea for my next loan for what money'll fix what part.

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:

HPP

Leaf spring rebuild can run from fifty bucks to a few hundred. Diff rebuilds can run upwards of $1000 depending on what you have done. Shocks start at $20 and only go up from there depending on the intended application.

bakerhillpins

What does each of these processes entail? Lets assume that we are just trying to rebuild to stock specs. Is this just a seals/bearings type of operation for the diff, and being a total newbie to lots of this stuff what would you rebuild on the springs?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

HPP

Rebuilding leafs would consist of separating, bead blasting, painting, reassembly with new and and clamps. May be cheaper and certainly easier to just buy new ones.

Diff rebuild would be dis-assembly, blast, clean paint, replacing all bearings and seals, replacing clutches if sure grip equiped, resetting all tolerances during re-assembly and posibly replacing a number of fasteners. While your at it, you may also consider a gear change or sure grip install (if not equiped), or a new pinion yoke depending on condition of originals. More than just bearings and seals, although they are part of it.

Shocks, well, off the shelf Monroes are $20. Billet aluminum double adjustables are $500. You have twin tube, mono tube, aluminum or steel bodies, bushing or bearing ends, choices of rod sizes, choices of valving, etc, etc, etc. How ou use the car and how heavy of spring rates you installing determine how much shock you need.

green69rt

I'll throw my 2 cents in here and others can add.  This can be simple or very complex (this means expensive.)  Leaf springs are pretty simple but you need someone that knows what they're doing.  Maybe you should consult with someone at JUST SUSPENSIONS.  For the rear end, you can spend a lot on a rebuild, upwards of $1000 fairly easily. 

Think about this.

Springs - do you care if they are correct for the year or do you want something that does the job? This is the difference between rebuilding your old set or buying new stuff.

Rear - basic stuff like axel bearings, seals, clutches (if you don't have a sure-grip now's the time), shocks, new brake lines and tee fitting.  What about rebuilding the brakes while its out (or converting to disc?)?  Probably running over $500 for a very basic overhaul if you do some of the work yourself (I'm probably being optimistic.)  Now you get to the expensive stuff - powder coated housing, new axels, gear change, these add up fast.  A good source here is STRANGE ENGINEERING.

Sometimes it just pays to buy new stuff and sell your old stuff to help with the cost. 

Ok, let the discussion begin!!