News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New lifters

Started by Bob, March 08, 2010, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

What is the proper procedure for new hyd lifters? Pre-load? If pre-load, how do you do that?
Thanks
Bob

lisiecki1

i was taught to let them sit in oil covering them overnight and drop them in like you would normally.  never heard anything about preload on hydraulic lifters.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

skip68

I think you get them touching with no gap and then go 1/4 turn more.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

aifilaw

Pretty standard, drop them in a cup of oil for a minute and let them sit and soak. drop them in.
I generally use two methods to ensure I get it right for each lifter.
First grasping the head of the rocker at the valve-tip and bouncing it up and down while I slowly tighten the lash until I don't feel any free space. Then grasping the pushrod between two fingers and twisting it side to side as I loosen 1/2 a turn, and then tighten half a turn to feel slight resistance (should occur at the same time as the first method). Once satisfied that both of these agree I tighten and turn 1/4 of a turn for setting to zero lash.
lifters do not need to be pumped up for this to work.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Bob

Quote from: lisiecki1 on March 08, 2010, 03:27:00 PM
i was taught to let them sit in oil covering them overnight and drop them in like you would normally.  never heard anything about preload on hydraulic lifters.

Tried that on the current cam and took forever to start. I let them sit 2 days in oil.

Bob

Quote from: aifilaw on March 08, 2010, 06:03:50 PM
Pretty standard, drop them in a cup of oil for a minute and let them sit and soak. drop them in.
I generally use two methods to ensure I get it right for each lifter.
First grasping the head of the rocker at the valve-tip and bouncing it up and down while I slowly tighten the lash until I don't feel any free space. Then grasping the pushrod between two fingers and twisting it side to side as I loosen 1/2 a turn, and then tighten half a turn to feel slight resistance (should occur at the same time as the first method). Once satisfied that both of these agree I tighten and turn 1/4 of a turn for setting to zero lash.
lifters do not need to be pumped up for this to work.

I get most of what you are saying but could you brake it down a little more? How do you make it bounce?
Thank you.
Bob

aifilaw

usually I get her a tube top and one of those exercise trampolines, a beer and an easy chair...

grab the tip of the rocker where it rests on the valve, and gently pull up and down, in the direction the valve travels, you will of course feel it bump when it hits the valve on one side, and takes up the slack as it hits the pushrod which in turn hits the top of the lifter.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Bob, do you have adjustable rocker arms on this 440 ? As far as oiling the lifters i just lube up the lifter faces with the moly paste and install them dry. Then i install the pushrods and rocker arms and tighten everything down....then i pour a qt of oil over the lifters and let them fill up after they're preloaded. Once the engine fires the oiling system will replace any amount of oil that might be needed for proper operation.  :yesnod:

Make sure you use a good oil and proper additive with lots of ZZDP to protect the cam and lifters. Brad Penn makes an excellent breakin oil. I also use their racing oil which has lots of extreme pressure additives.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 09, 2010, 07:19:39 AM
Bob, do you have adjustable rocker arms on this 440 ? As far as oiling the lifters i just lube up the lifter faces with the moly paste and install them dry. Then i install the pushrods and rocker arms and tighten everything down....then i pour a qt of oil over the lifters and let them fill up after they're preloaded. Once the engine fires the oiling system will replace any amount of oil that might be needed for proper operation.  :yesnod:

Make sure you use a good oil and proper additive with lots of ZZDP to protect the cam and lifters. Brad Penn makes an excellent breakin oil. I also use their racing oil which has lots of extreme pressure additives.

Ron

It's the stock 400 Ron. I don't want to ruin the new cam and lifters you recomended so this time I want to do it right. What is ZZDP?
Thanks
Bob

firefighter3931

With the stock valvetrain the preload will be set when you install the rockers/pushrods and torque the shafts to 25ftlbs.  :yesnod:

ZZDP is Zinc....you need it with a flat tappet cam. Read the sticky at the top of the page....lots of good info. In a nutshell ; you need good oil with an EP additive or your new cam will go flat. This is critical. The stupid EPA is responsible for this mess !  :flame:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 09, 2010, 08:39:42 AM
With the stock valvetrain the preload will be set when you install the rockers/pushrods and torque the shafts to 25ftlbs.  :yesnod:

ZZDP is Zinc....you need it with a flat tappet cam. Read the sticky at the top of the page....lots of good info. In a nutshell ; you need good oil with an EP additive or your new cam will go flat. This is critical. The stupid EPA is responsible for this mess !  :flame:

Ron

Thank You Mr. Ron