News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need exhaust ideas...

Started by Bandit72, December 08, 2005, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

as soon as the weather begins to be alittle more forgiving, i'm gonna put the 413 in my charger and i was wondering what i should do for exhaust i already have hooker competition headers...

option 1- headers and straight 3 inch pipes out the back
option 2- headers w/ bolt on thrush glass packs and turndowns...period
option 3- The loudest flowmasters available running out the back and whatever sized pipe you guys think would sound good
option 4- Thrush bolt on glass packs and side pipes....
option 5- anything else you guys can think of

i'm open to all suggestions but i do know that i want this thing to be HEARD...   :drive:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

cudaken

Loud, well you are talking to the wrong guy. I like quite.

I would run the exhaust out the back, throw either a H-Pipe (cheaper) or X-Pipe (better) in the center. M self, unless it is a 500+ HP 413 I would go no larger than a 2.5" exhaust. To big can hurt bottom end some what. I was running high 11's with 2.5" on the Runner.

Flow Basterd's? Ready to say "can you speak up, can't read lips"

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

what are you looking for with the sound?  and how loud do you want it?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Bandit72

i want kind of a deep rumble too it...as for how loud i want it...i want it to be noticed, so about as loud as i can get it legally...it isn't going to be driven everyday anyway and i figure if it's piped all the way out the back it won't be that bad inside at all....

Runner

id put a good 3 inch system on it and something like an utlra flow should be plenty loud and rumble nicly.    a race bullet is nice and loud, but honestly all they do is take the bit out of open headers.  good luck in whatever you decide!   

Bandit72

if i go with a flowmaster or other performance muffler like that i was thining about flowmaster 40's....and if i go with a glass pack i've always liked thrush....

Runner

glass packs are horribly restictive mufflers,   just look down one of those things.   flowmasters are ok, but they are loud and they resonate horrible. i had them on my roadrunner for a while and got to the point i hated them.    when you mash on the throttle the sceam. its hard to have much fun when cops can hear you half way across town

cudaken

Deep rumble will get on your nerves, well did mine. I like a hollow tinie sound my self. Best stock exhaust I have ever heard was a 1969 Z-28 with the Chammber Exhaust with no mufflers OEM. Closes I have came to that sound is my 70 383 Cuda with Walker Red Lines mufflers. But they no longer make them. Next best is stock Hemi Mufflers. That is what I am running now.

Cuda Ken

Runner, why 3", for later on or just because it would be louder? I was pulling well over 500 HP with 2.5" ID pipes.
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on December 08, 2005, 09:02:23 PM
id put a good 3 inch system on it and something like an utlra flow should be plenty loud and rumble nicly.      a race bullet is nice and loud, but honestly all they do is take the bit out of open headers.   good luck in whatever you decide!     

:iagree: If future engine mods are planned get the 3in now and be done with it. I also like the ultraflows...stay away from flowmasters unless you want to slow your car down and give youself a migraine.   :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RallyeMike

Take the hood off, mount the headers upside down so the collectors point at the windshield, and go make some noise.... drag-boat style  :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chryco Psycho

Dyno Max or Hooker Aero Chambers sound good

79JON

I wouldnt do straight pipes,   that gets annoying.     I'd do "H" or "X" pipe then Flowmaster 40 series, and turn downs.     2.5 inch pipe.     :yesnod:

Runner

Quote from: cudaken on December 08, 2005, 09:50:00 PM

Runner, why 3", for later on or just because it would be louder? I was pulling well over 500 HP with 2.5" ID pipes.

i think the car will run slightly better with 3" . and it will be louder, and it will also have room to grow.   my roadrunners exhaust is 3 inch to right before the mufflers then i use a flowmaster veturi reducer and drop it into 2.5 super turbos.  it used to be 3 inch flows but i got sooooo sick of them shaking the car apart and the noise.

ive raced it with and with out the exhaust, with collector extesions and with out and with race bullets bolted to the headers.  its fastest with the collector extensions or the race bullets.   i use the collector extensions the most at the track becasue it is easier to put on than the race bullets now that the car is a floor shifted car.