News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taillight trim removal

Started by bucko81, March 09, 2010, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucko81

Was wondering what is the best way to remove the trim around a 69 Charger's taillights so I can get them replated?

Thanks,
Bucko

Chatt69chgr

I believe that the bosses that are part of the trim are peened over to retain them.  I read that even then, some have fallen off causing folks to use silicone seal to ensure they are not lost along the side of the road.  So you have to file around the peening.  Even then, the bosses may break off. 

BEA has repops of these if you end up needing them. 

twodko

Hello Bucko81,

Welcome to the site! There are these little red plastic holed tabs, for lack of a better description, that engage "pins/bosses" on the chrome trim ring. I recently dropped my 69 off for paint and learned 2 valuable lessons:

1. The tail light assembly uses an adhesive gasket between it and the body. I thought it was just a white foam gasket..........didn't know it was glued onto the body openings. It was a bitch prying them off without damaging them.

2. These little red tabs are part of the tail light lens as you know. I've heard of one member here who was able to grind the bosses down enough, using a dremel tool, to remove the trim pieces. I'm taking on my tail light resto very soon and I'll find out how much of a PITA this process will be. I do know I have a couple broken tabs already. It seems to me that even if one were able to file down the bosses you'd still have to glue the trim back on the tail light lens. Time will tell. Let me/us know what how this process shakes out for you. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bucko81

Thank ya'll for the advice, that is what I figured I was going to have to do.  I was hoping there was some magic trick that ya'll knew about.

Thanks,
bucko