News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who likes '69 Charger 500s?

Started by 375instroke, March 07, 2010, 05:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

I love the C500's......  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

welp,.. the way i feel about it is,..  :RantExplode:

The Charger was allready the best looking car out there, then or since,.. Smoothing the rear window and flushing out the grill could hardly harm such a masterpiece,.. even the extra bright work on the A pillars just added a little gleam to a Car that allready had little,..
So, to my way of thinking, the '69 was a Maureen O'hara while the '69 Charger 500 a Scarlett Johansson and there ya' have it!
I wouldn't kick either outta the garage for leakin' steering fluid!

1969 Charger

1969 Charger 500

Dans 68

Geez, Dave, have you ever answered a thread, or started one, that didn't have a photo or two?  :rofl:

I like 'em both. And the Daytona. And the 'bird. And the ....

A honest answer from yet another '68 owner.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Samson

Hummm?..  :scratchchin:  what actress is the DAYTONA then?..  :angel:

Dans 68

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 08, 2010, 11:56:27 AM

Catherine Zeta-Jones.  :popcrn:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Back N Black

Here is the actress for the Daytona!  :smilielol:

Brock Samson

Oh, no you didn't!..  :lol:  good thing the wing guys never come over here...  :scratchchin:  :slap:

TylerCharger69

Ewwww....that doesn't even look like a Mopar.....more like an old Ford Pinto with lots of bondo

Back N Black

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 08, 2010, 12:50:32 PM
Oh, no you didn't!..  :lol:  good thing the wing guys never come over here...  :scratchchin:  :slap:

Here is a pic of the first Daytona prototype.

WINGR

Actually I think that might be one of them Monster Trucks. :eek2:

Back to the topic, I love the regular 69 Charger but like the C500 more. I think it has alot to do with the Nascar racing heritage as well as it's race car look. As other members mentioned, I even like it's looks better than the Daytona, although I like them alot also. :Twocents:

WINGR

moparstuart

Quote from: Back N Black on March 08, 2010, 12:22:44 PM

Here is the actress for the Daytona!  :smilielol:
NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more like this  she's got a big nose but still a beauty
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Paul 500

I've got a 68 R/T & a 69 500, i just love chargers
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Aero426

Tell me this isn't an aggressive look...

Mike DC

Sue me, but I think Mopar took all the aero cars too far.  Particularly the Daytonas.  

If I had been running Dodge at the time, I would have looked at the Daytona rough sketch and said "Are you on drugs?!?  We could build it but NASCAR won't let us actually use that thing very long."  

They're badass cars for enthusiasts like us, but I think they were a dumb decision at the corporate level.  They incurred most of the conversion costs & appearance changes for just a small portion of the total aero gains.  IMHO the Ford versions were smarter executions of the concept when you take all the off-track factors into account.  

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on March 08, 2010, 05:39:06 PM
Tell me this isn't an aggressive look...

That's one version I might entertain when I eventually repaint my future C500.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 08, 2010, 12:50:32 PM

Yeah!

69_500

Personally I like the C500's but then again I might be biased. Granted I do have one, but I think everyone here knows that I'd drop it in a heartbeat for a Daytona. Hands down the 1969 Dodge Daytona is the greatest looking automobile ever assembled.

I do like going to local shows in the 500 though because out of the 500 people that walk around maybe 1-2 of them will actually notice that it isn't a 69 R/T.

maxwellwedge

I love all Mopars but my faves are the "Package Cars". Cars that were built to serve a purpose in some form of racing.

The Max Wedge
The 426 Hemi
The A990
The 68 Hemi A-Bodies
The M-Code A-Bodies
The A12's
The C500
The Daytona
The Superbird
The T/A and AAR

Mopar did what it needed to win and in doing so created some of the coolest, wildest street cars ever and that is one of the reasons I love Mopars over the others.

All Chargers are cool. What makes one better than the other is strictly personal taste.

WINGMAN

I like my 69 500 because it is different and only about 231 people on this planet have one, the down side to owning one is almost no one knows what it is  :shruggy: , so almost every time i go to a car cruse with it you spend lotts of time explaining the different things about a 500 over a regular 69 Charger. O well  :icon_smile_big: The price of having one.  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

C500

I like the 500 car better as a whole because of the Nascar history and the rarity.

Now, IMO the 69 grill is cooler and more menacing looking than a 500 grill. If the regular 69 had the exposed headlights, and the 500 had the grill the regular 69 has, I reckon the value and desirability of the 500 would be way more than it is now.  Imagine only 392 cars with the hidden headlight grille.  :coolgleamA: :popcrn:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Brock Samson

that's an interesting thought...  :scratchchin:

I sure don't like the 500 grill as much they even look a lot like a Ford or Merc, but over the years I associate them now with efficiency and exclusivity, the rear window just looks slick there's no other word for it...
  The Daytona looks Sick - especially in stock form, they need to be lowered and raked with the front wheels tucked up and really fat tires... and wild paint combos. I pretty damn bored with all the stock ones nowadays...
  There I said it.  :nana:

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 08, 2010, 07:50:33 PM
If I had been running Dodge at the time, I would have looked at the Daytona rough sketch and said "Are you on drugs?!?  

I am quite sure those words were uttered by more than one person within the company, including the styling people.   There were people within the company concerned over how the cars would affect Chrysler's image five years down the road as a beat up used car.   Thankfully, Bob McCurry was there to push the cars through.  

I don't think there was a lot of concern over how long the cars would run.    They got over a full season out of them, and the next step would have been to make the 1971 aero cars competitive.    We forget now, that at the time, styling and design was still year to year.

They're badass cars for enthusiasts like us, but I think they were a dumb decision at the corporate level.  They incurred most of the conversion costs & appearance changes for just a small portion of the total aero gains.  IMHO the Ford versions were smarter executions of the concept when you take all the off-track factors into account.  

How is producing a car that gave you measurable advertising and promotional value a dumb thing?   It got Dodge mentioned in every enthusiast publication and more, over and over.

Keep in mind that Ford had their own "Nuclear Option" on the table.  Had Bunkie Knudsen not been fired,  it probably would have happened.    Chrysler would then have had to up the ante with trying to make the '71 wing cars competitive.  

As to what Chrysler's true costs were?    I am sure they lost money on the cars themselves.    But they got a ton of free advertising and publicity.   It got people talking.  

Mike DC

QuoteI don't think there was a lot of concern over how long the cars would run.    They got over a full season out of them, and the next step would have been to make the 1971 aero cars competitive.    We forget now, that at the time, styling and design was still year to year.

Yes, but to be honest I'm surprised that Bill France ever allowed the first wing/nosecone car into a race.  NASCAR was/is a total dictatorship.  The Frances have made a family tradition out of rewriting the rules, completely on the fly, to just to shove one guy or one modification off the track.  

The series was selling the image of nearly "stock" cars.  Then Dodge wants to show up with a few hundred Chargers that literally looked like Navy jets next to almost 100,000 stockers selling every year?  

QuoteHow is producing a car that gave you measurable advertising and promotional value a dumb thing?   It got Dodge mentioned in every enthusiast publication and more, over and over.

Keep in mind that Ford had their own "Nuclear Option" on the table.  Had Bunkie Knudsen not been fired,  it probably would have happened.    Chrysler would then have had to up the ante with trying to make the '71 wing cars competitive.  

I wasn't trying to argue against the whole concept of aero-mod cars, just the way that Mopar did some things on them.  

The rear window plug incurred most of the expense & inconvenience when they broke through the trunklid opening and had to redo the weatherseal, shorten the trunklid & recap the end of it, move the hinges, etc.  They could have just made the bottom few inches of the plug be a separate piece that went onto the top of the (stock) trunklid rather than reducing size of the lid so much.

The Mopar nosecone is more aerodynamic than the Talladega/Cyclone front ends, but the Ford/Merc solution was acres more practical.  It didn't look ridiculous & non-stock, it preserved a real bumper, the grille opening was large enough to keep the car cool, it didn't require a whole flip-up headlight assembly, etc.  

The rocker panel thing that Ford did was a stroke of genius too.  Another case of big on-track gains for very small appearance & cost compromises.  

I don't see why the Mopar rear wings weren't just fastened to the trunklids instead of being 2 feet off the deck for the trunklid to open under it.  The street cars didn't really need the wings mounted that strongly.  The racers could have easily just fabbed up some bracing inside the trunk to rest against the underside of the trunklid below the wing supports.

---------------------------------------------

It's not that I don't like the Mopar wing cars.  They were still very badass uncompromised vehicles.  

I just have grown to admire how much more practical the Ford stuff was.  They were thinking like a company that was planning to be working another aero-model under NASCAR's nose every year,and then having to build enough of them to satisfy NASCAR that they actually were stock vehicles.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 08, 2010, 09:51:19 PM
  I like my 69 500 because it is different and only about 231 people on this planet have one, the down side to owning one is almost no one knows what it is  :shruggy: , so almost every time i go to a car cruse with it you spend lotts of time explaining the different things about a 500 over a regular 69 Charger. O well  :icon_smile_big: The price of having one.  Jay.
231, that's the number of 500S that exist??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser