News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do standard steelies voyarer wheels fit a 68 charger?

Started by Sjarger, March 06, 2010, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjarger

I am from Amsterdam The Netherlands and original Mopar steelies are impossible to get here for my 68 chargers.

So my question is, since there are a lot of voyagers here in Amsterdam, do there standard steelies size 5x4.5 fit my 68 charger???????

Thanks !!!!!!!

b5blue

Mini Van.....no! 15 inch steel rims are dirt cheap here, New Yorkers, Fifth Ave., Diplomat, and a bunch others! (5 10 bucks)

Mike DC

The main problem is that the offset/backspace dimension for newer cars is different from the older ones. 

The mounting surface moved outwards in the wheel as the cars got newer.  (So if you put newer wheels onto an older car, the wheels are sunken farther into the wheelwells than with older wheels.  The car's track width gets narrower than with old wheels.)

Something like a 3.5-4.0" backspace was common from the american factories in the 1960s.  The aftermarket wheels of the era were often 4.0" backspaced.  They used a 5.0" backspace on some newer Mopars and Jeeps, which won't clear the front upper balljoint on a Charger. 

HPP

Even if they did fit and the backspacing wasn't off, how wide are they, like 5 or 6 inches? Way too skinny.

A383Wing

Bolt circle is not exactly the same either...ours are 4.5"....the newer cars are 100mm...they will kinda fit, but not exactly

Chatt69chgr

Any idea when the offsets began changing.  I want to run 15X7 inch steels on my 69 Charger.  Was planning on using some steels I got off some 70 to 78 vintage Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths vehicles in the junkyard. 

I would note that I don't think they had any 15X7's on 69 or below Chrysler stuff since I had a 69 New Yorker and it had 15X6 steels on it.  You would think that if they were going to use a 15X7 on anything they would have used it on one of those cars.  I do seem to recall that if you got a Hemi in 69 that you got 15X7 steel wheels on that.  I wonder what the offset was on one of those hemi wheels?

maxwellwedge

69 Hemi (and A12) wheels were 15 x 6. In 1970 they started using the "450" wheel - 15 x 7 as the 15" Hemi steelie wheel.

b5blue

I wonder what shipping would be for 4 or 5 rims?  :scratchchin:

A383Wing

I just shipped 2 rims from Washington State to Virginia...2 separate boxes via UPS...was $70 for both

HPP

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 08, 2010, 09:39:03 PM
Any idea when the offsets began changing.  I want to run 15X7 inch steels on my 69 Charger.  Was planning on using some steels I got off some 70 to 78 vintage Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths vehicles in the junkyard. 

Offsets starting changing with the proliferation of FWD cars in the '80s. Any chrysler RWD car and some trucks have wheels that would work. As a matter of fact, some half ton trucks have 16" diameter, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern wheels, but they are skinny 6" width.

In metric terms the bolt pattern is 114.3 mm, which is not uncommon in some places around the globe.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks HPP.  Good to know my wheels will work since I spent a bunch of time cleaning them up.