News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lead joints leave or replace?

Started by lexxman, March 06, 2010, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

Hey,I'm going to be ready to media blast my car soon.Well that if I can find someone local,but I was wondering what do I do with the lead roof joint?I was told by one guy that I need to replace ,because after he paints he has had problems with the lead lifting up.But to me the lead look good and solid. :shruggy:
I don't want to give myself more work or cost myself more money,but I also don't want to screw myself.So at this point I'm not sure want to do.

Highbanked Hauler

If there is a any sign of surface rust coming from under the edge of the lead, melt it out and clean the seam thoroughly.  If it is smooth and no sign of rolling up on the edge I'd leave it. I have done lead work before and have never had any problem with paint sticking to it.  Same thing with the lead on the rocker seam. ;D
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Silver R/T

You do not need to mess with lead unless there's rust you're fixing. You can just grind it and apply body filler over it to smooth out the seam
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooter

I like to melt it out whenever possible...Lead does not like to stick to the fillers/primers/paints of today...Plus, nothing pisses you off more than after you paint the car, the lead starts to "Migrate" and distort causing a ripple in the paint....Look at any older car with the lead seam at the bottom of the front where the sides of the windshield posts meet the cowl...Ever notice a "Bubble" where the lead is placed? There you go...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lexxman

I'll take some picture and see what you guys think.
SFRT: that jobs looks great,you really did a great job on it.

lexxman

here are a couple of pictures of p/s and d/s jionts.

SFRT

give it a very light filing then skim the thinnest possible coat of metal to metal 'cream' body filler over it it will be FINE
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: SFRT on March 07, 2010, 07:30:34 PM
give it a very light filing then skim the thinnest possible coat of metal to metal 'cream' body filler over it it will be FINE

Nothing wrong with those seams  they look really clean :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser