News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 383 2bbl

Started by 92454ss, February 16, 2010, 10:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92454ss

well iam going to derby a 68 new yorker and i found out the engine in  it is a 383 2bbl r those any good in hp? what would i need to do to fit it in my 73 charger that came stock with a small block?

my1st68charger

I'm no expert but i was told they r not the same as a magnum 4bbl eng.cam, pistons,heads,valves etc are all different.I have the same thing 68 2bbl newport eng.I was told if i were to put a 4bbl intake and carb it would do nothing to improve power,unless your just goin for looks.Myself I think what i'm goin to do is put a 4bbl intake and carb,just go for looks because I won't be driving fast with my car ,I'm not a fast driver.I'm glad you posted this topic up because these guys on here will tell you what you need to know and 1 thing I'd like to find out is what would be a good size 4bbl carb for a 2bbl eng without changing cams or anthing but just the intake and headers .600 cfm maybe???

covet66

Pretty sure a factory intake and Carter carb for a '69 automatic 383 car is a 625cfm. I am running this on my '66 Charger with a 400 block.

Charger RT

i believe a 73 B body is similar to a 74 E body for a small block to big block swap. I dropped a 440 in place of a small block in a 74 E body. I believe I had a bracket near the driver side mount that got in the way of dropping it in. I cut it off. Coil wires need extended to the front of the block for distributor. Get the trans. a small block trans won't fit a big block. trans linkage will hook up and the trans cross member will bolt up. you will need a new drive shaft. trans cooler lines will hook up. I would also grab the radiator it might work. The exhaust is all differant. PS pump brackets are differant so the big block pump might work if the lines bolt up.
Tim

92454ss

cool i kinda new it wasnt a magnum but owell its  a big block... i plan to rebuilt it and just drop her in.... the guy that gave it to me was gonna throw it away with a 727 tranny so yea....