News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 forged or cast crank

Started by Todd Wilson, February 27, 2010, 12:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

For some reason I cant remember and cant find in my notes which is which on the balancers size to tell me if my 440 is a forged or cast crank?  Need to determine it so I can order a tork convertor. Someone refresh my memory.

Todd

RD

hit it with a hammer gently.. if it goes *ting* its a forged one.. if it goes *clank* its cast :D  ok seriously (though that is a valid test for the crankshaft.. it wont help you with balancer identification)...

the cast balancer is big and fat like this:

forged like this:

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

FLG

And again...

Forged

Cast

Nice and dirty  :2thumbs:

Todd Wilson

Ok thanks! Thats what I thought it was but wanted to double check.

I found a guy local RD that would do it for 450$ take out fix and back in so I am gonna go that route.

Todd

68coronetGLwannabe

Whats the difference in the torque converter? I just put a motor in my 69 that has cast crank but I used the same converter that was with the forged crank.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

skip68

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on February 27, 2010, 02:04:18 PM
Whats the difference in the torque converter? I just put a motor in my 69 that has cast crank but I used the same converter that was with the forged crank.

:rotz:  :smilielol:   Hillbilly...   :hah:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

weights or not, thats the deal. Cast Cranksuse weights on converter
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 27, 2010, 05:16:25 PM

weights or not, thats the deal. Cast Cranksuse weights on converter

Thanks!
"That's us in 10 years".

RD

you will need to get weights on the converter to match your engine AND ESPECIALLY get the correct harmonic balancer for  your application.  your current balancer will not be able to displace the harmonics well enough in order to avoid bearing damage (as well as many other possible maladies).

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU "MUST" DO SO YOU DO NOT THROW A ROD.  I cannot express this enough.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

68coronetGLwannabe

Already talked to the transmission shop and a few Mopar guys I know and they hooked me up with what I need.  :2thumbs: Converter will be here on Monday. Thanks you guys saved me alot future problems!  :cheers:
"That's us in 10 years".

68pplcharger

Easy way to tell is look at the part line. a thick parting line is a forged crank (approx 1/4"). The thin parting line is a cast crank.