News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just bought this all at a great price....Is it ok?

Started by 71green go, March 02, 2010, 03:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

I just bought these parts for my 71 R/T 440 build........got an extremely cheap deal on it all...
Question is what can I expect from it all as far as HP......what other parts should I buy to complete it all?
Don't want a crazy motor...just a good performer...hanks for any help......I am a body guy...Not a Motor guy!

A set of Dave Hughs stage 1 heads....3462346 (what year are these?....decent? )  2.140 intake 1.810 exhaust

Set of Kieth Black Hypereutectic 9.5:1 pistons 30 over

An Engle cam 507 intake/515 exhaust

Set of hooker competition headers..........2.5" mandrel bent X Pipe exhaust with flowmaster 40's

Just want some more then stock performance.......

Thanks for your Input!

b5blue

346's are good heads 72 or 73 vintage, 9.5 is a good compression ratio, cheap is good too!  :scratchchin:

71green go

Thanks...........What about the rest of the parts...and suggestions for completion?

firefighter3931

Hughes generally does nice work...i'm sure the heads are fine if he did them. Don't know much about the cam....what is the duration ?

I'm not a fan of hyper pistons....much prefer forged  :yesnod:

You didn't provide any information so it's hard to make any type of recommendation  :shruggy:

-Do you have a core motor or starting from scratch ?
-intended use for this car ; street only ?
-what trans, auto or 4spd ?
-if auto ; what stall speed ?
-rear end gearing ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71green go

Thanks Firefighter...

Is there something wrong with the Hyper pistons?..I ran a set in my Alum head small block chev for years and that motor was killer......just curious on your thoughts there

I will be using my 69,000 orignal 440 motor as the donor...numbers match to my car..it has a very slight ring ridge so 30 over

This car will only see weekend use on the streets

It is the original 727 auto trans, rebuilt with a shift kit ....it has stock (at the moment torque convertor)

The current gear is the original 3:22 gears...but seller told me had 3:55, I did a quick rotation check and think it is 3:22

I want a stock looking engine....hae the original 71 intake and carb.....but will change it out for items that wil increase performance..but may paint factory colors?.....maybe

CAm card says Intake 507  running duration 270
                    Exhaust 515 running duration 278

Gross  cam lift     Intake 338 Duration@.050 226
                                           exhaust 343                     230

Any suggestions would be great!

b5blue

Ron is the go-to guy on the build for sure, I went with hyper's from Speed Pro, Forged are allot stronger to be sure but expand so much they need a looser bore and for a street build (no racing) I wanted a tighter clearance for all the stop and go action of a daily driver. I depends on how bad your going to beat on your ride. ( I'm also at 60 over so this is the last bore job my block will get before it's toast)

firefighter3931

The main issue with hyper slugs is the potential for breakage if there is a tuning error (Lean or Detonation) whereas a forged piston is much more forgiving. You also need to follow the installation instructions....to the letter ! The top ring gap is critical....if you mess that up the ringlands will break off.  :P

The rest of your parts look good....the cam should work great with your engine with the KB slugs and 346 heads. I would look at a 11in stall converter and descent dual plane intake manifold to top it all off. Holley/Proform carb of course  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71green go

Sorry for So many questions....

What Manifold would be the best to buy?
Would a 2800-3000 stall converter be best for the street?
And the carb...what size carb should I look at buying?

b5blue

The key is balance, your intake cam and gearing will set your converter's stall depending on how you want the car to respond. Keep in mind how the car will get the most use, I am setting mine up with factory settings as I have an eye on things like daily use with mileage and lower octane fuel for economy reasons, hence 9 to 1 (or so) compression, 3.23 rear gear, resto purple cam, and 145K torque converter (19K-21K stall)to go with my stock six pack and HP manifolds. I'm giving up power for street-ability and some economy. (I'm already running mid grade 89 octane OK) After running closed chamber highly flowed heads for 7-8 years I got tired of the hunting around for the right premium gas to run and paying extra for it as gas prices shot up. (it only wanted Mobil or Sunoco premium and the plugs had to be kept perfect by regular cleaning or going out and blasting the carbon out of it every so often)  Once again think how/what you want and I know Ron will guide you to it!  :2thumbs: 

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71green go on March 04, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
Sorry for So many questions....

What Manifold would be the best to buy?
Would a 2800-3000 stall converter be best for the street?
And the carb...what size carb should I look at buying?

A really descent intake manifold is the old Edelbrock CH4B....you will have to find a used one. Check e-bay, craigs list etc....

An 11in conveter would be perfect for that combo. Dynamic makes a nice 11in unit and Mancini carries it ($300)

A proform 750cfm double pumper would be my choice for that engine combination.

Ron

71green go

So one year Later I am Finally getting my motor rebuilt......I took all parts to motor shop and the first thing my builder said was...
Yuch, Kieth Black Hyper pistons...I hate them!
:smilielol: Just as Firefighter said........he says also that they are prone to cracking at the ring gland........So he said I would be far better off with a cast piston (I would like to keep Budget in Check) ...so he is pricing out casts as an Alternative...he says he can put the KB pistons in but doesn't recommends it..

So Are Cast pistons good for a strictly street motor?.......The factory ones were cast correct?......
I know Forged are probably best but adds more then I wanted to spend on project

Your thoughts?

And I found an edlebrock performer 440 Intake cheap....Is this a good piece to use?

Thanks as Always

Steve

b5blue

My machinist steered me away from K.B. Hyper. also....I ended up with Speed Pro's Hyper. pistons. (No problems at all.)

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71green go on June 14, 2011, 06:47:42 AM
So one year Later I am Finally getting my motor rebuilt......I took all parts to motor shop and the first thing my builder said was...
Yuch, Kieth Black Hyper pistons...I hate them!
:smilielol: Just as Firefighter said........he says also that they are prone to cracking at the ring gland........So he said I would be far better off with a cast piston (I would like to keep Budget in Check) ...so he is pricing out casts as an Alternative...he says he can put the KB pistons in but doesn't recommends it..

So Are Cast pistons good for a strictly street motor?.......The factory ones were cast correct?......
I know Forged are probably best but adds more then I wanted to spend on project

Your thoughts?

And I found an edlebrock performer 440 Intake cheap....Is this a good piece to use?

Thanks as Always

Steve

Steve, the comments your machinist made are basicly what i was alluding to in my previous posts ; the KB hypers are prone to breaking at the ringlands if for some reason the engine detonates. They are not forgiving if you make a mistake with the tune-up.  :eek2:

The problem with a cast piston is that there are none currently available that will yield a descent compression ratio. Most of the cast replacements will give you 8:1 compression which will make the engine a pooch  :P

* For a stock stroke 440 you want a piston with a compression height of 2.065 +

KB now carries an affordable line of Forged pistons that have the correct compression height to make this engine a strong runner. E-bay the hypers and pony up the difference for a quality forging....you won't be sorry  :icon_smile_big:

The Performer intake is basicly a lightweight replacement manifold...no performance upgrade vs the stock piece other than the weight savings.

Ron

71green go

Well.......Budget gone lol.......
I just bought a set of wiseco Forged Pistons...Cost $642 Cdn thru machinest....
9.8:1 ....
Please tell me these are good!......Please!... :smilielol:

Brightyellow69rtse

i got kb icons for 475 i think. their forged and i was impressed with the quality of the work on them. their even polished too.

71green go

Anybody have comments on the Wiesco Tru pro forged pistons?......I have read ok articles about them
I have them now soooooo, I have to use
Stuff is more expensive here in Canada.....and shipping and brokerage fees just add to it!

Steve

Budnicks

a Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake & a 700-800cfm carburetor of your choice, electric choke is convenient but not necessary, I prefer Holley my self,  :Twocents:but many like the Edelbrock Performer Carbs #1411 750 cfm w/electric choke...for your type of application.... Good luck
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Wicked72

Ive used weisco forged pistons on some sick honda builds. in the 450hp range for amazing for a tiny engine and most of them are still running with the exception of ppl doing their own tuning and making them pop.... so id say they are great actually!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71green go on June 16, 2011, 12:36:35 PM
Well.......Budget gone lol.......
I just bought a set of wiseco Forged Pistons...Cost $642 Cdn thru machinest....
9.8:1 ....
Please tell me these are good!......Please!... :smilielol:

Those pistons are fine....carry on  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

71green go

71green go

Update....
Motor had to be bored 55 Over ....wiesco forged pistons......
I spent extra and had the block decked......wasn't sure if needed to or not but thought it best
dropped off a Coyes true roller timing set for him to install today and my Cam, timing cover etc...
Machine work including crank, New Pistons and assembly of bottom end around $1800...don't know if high or not?

Bought a really nice old Edlebrock CH4B intake as Ron had mentioned.. :2thumbs:
Also bought a Holley 4150, 4779-2, 750cfm double pumper carburetor..........Looks Brand new it was very nice Rebuild

I get to pick the motor up on Tuesday!,,,cant wait, its been so long..

Will drop the heads off to get freshened up before I install them...trying to break up cost of rebuild by spreading out a little

Spent few thousand at Carlisle and on Ebay buying other stuff lately too....cant wait till the spending ends!

firefighter3931

Cool stuff.....that's a nice intake/carb combination.  :2thumbs:

Keep us updated on your progress  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

71green go

What stall torque converter is best for my setup?

maxwellwedge

Already answered from before - but here it is again....

Ron Said, "An 11in conveter would be perfect for that combo. Dynamic makes a nice 11in unit and Mancini carries it ($300)"

71green go

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 15, 2011, 02:23:44 PM
Already answered from before - but here it is again....

Ron Said, "An 11in conveter would be perfect for that combo. Dynamic makes a nice 11in unit and Mancini carries it ($300)"

Thanks...I was I guess more wondering what stall to buy?........2800?.....3000?......or is the one you guys mentioning already have the stall speed set?