News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Prefab frame dolly; who sells them?

Started by bull, March 01, 2010, 03:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm debating whether to build my own frame dolly setup or buy one but I need a cost/materials comparison. I assume these are being built by someone and I've heard of the Mopar Cart but I can't find it online. I can get a pair of swivel casters for $30-$50 but then I'll be needing some angle iron and square tubing, etc. Anyway, does anyone sell bolt-on frame dollies for 2nd gen Chargers?

GreenMachine

USCartool does  http://zem9t.4pj3v.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=4  I want a set, but for $399, I'll either do without or make my own.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

bull

Wowzers. That's ok, I'm going to build it myself. Today I went and bought some good-sized casters and then got ahold of a bunch of really nice scrap iron from a friend who owns a business building utility trailers. The stuff he gave me was brand new. :o I guess they just cut it wrong and tossed it.

Magnumcharger

I'm going to build one as well.
I'm using the frame measurements given in the front of the 1968 Dodge Charger repair manual for the dimensions and hard points.
Sound like a good idea?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bull

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 02, 2010, 01:34:25 AM
I'm going to build one as well.
I'm using the frame measurements given in the front of the 1968 Dodge Charger repair manual for the dimensions and hard points.
Sound like a good idea?

Yes and no. I'm inclined to go by the actual measurement of the car myself. Who knows if it's actually what it's supposed to be, although it would have to be very close if the k-frame was built to spec and it's not tweaked. I think most people build the stilts independent from one another but I plan on using a cross beam so I have a center lifting point. One that can be hoisted by either a floor jack or cherry picker.

Magnumcharger

Feel free to post your plans, and photos of your build!
I'd like to see 'em! :2thumbs:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bull

I'll do that. The project probably won't go too far until the weekend but I'll get to it. Mine is only going to be for the front end right now although I might modify it to work on the back end when I get to that point.

GreenMachine

Here's mine, cost $100. $75 for wheels and $25 for metal (already cut). I made them tall so I can work under the car easier, not sure how hard it'll be getting it on a trailer. I made the fronts to fit the bumper mounts because I have frame damage where the K frame mounts.

bull

That setup looks a little rickety to me, but, if it works...

oldcarnut

I'm sure I'm going to regret posting this but if you can't laugh at yourself once in awhile then ooh well  :smilielol: :hah:.  This is one poor mans dolly I threw together from a scrapped cut up boat trailer  :eek2:.  Despite it's looks, it works good for me moving it in and out the garage.  Surprisingly pretty sturdy too and best of all it cost me $0  :icon_smile_big:.  Only thing missing was the airplane propeller for the fan blade before I took the eng. tranny, and suspension out  :lol:.

Chatt69chgr

My friend made one that sort of looks like the US Cartools piece but is taller.  He used some angle to tie the two fronts together and the two rears together.  The fronts bolt where the K-memeber bolts.  I like that idea better than the bumper bolted location on the front.  I'm thinking that the bumper bolted location would allow the body to "flex" as it were.  I want to weld in frame connectors on mine so I figure that if I built one like my friends then the body wouldn't flex before I get the frame connectors welded in.  I've heard that the bodies are really rigid after that.  With the legs tied together, he said they had no problem pulling the body up onto a rollback.

bull

Quote from: oldcarnut on March 19, 2010, 09:29:33 PM
I'm sure I'm going to regret posting this but if you can't laugh at yourself once in awhile then ooh well  :smilielol: :hah:.  This is one poor mans dolly I threw together from a scrapped cut up boat trailer  :eek2:.  Despite it's looks, it works good for me moving it in and out the garage.  Surprisingly pretty sturdy too and best of all it cost me $0  :icon_smile_big:.  Only thing missing was the airplane propeller for the fan blade before I took the eng. tranny, and suspension out  :lol:.

It looks fine to me. :shruggy: What I like about it most is how you've got that lower bar going across the bottom which would work great as a lifting point for a floor jack. I plan on adding a piece onto mine to create a jacking point too.

Anyway, here's what I came up with: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67850.40.html

Chatt69chgr

Thanks for the pictures.  If I decide to mount at that location, I will follow your lead on how to fabricate the mounts.

GreenMachine

Quote from: bull on March 19, 2010, 08:18:42 PM
That setup looks a little rickety to me, but, if it works...

Yeah it does, but sitting in the garage it only has to be able to handle "0" horsepower and just hold up the weight. The bare shell couldn't be more than 800 lbs.
   After I get all the metal replaced, I will more than likely add a cross bar front to front and rear to rear.

oldcarnut

[
[/quote]

It looks fine to me. :shruggy: What I like about it most is how you've got that lower bar going across the bottom which would work great as a lifting point for a floor jack. I plan on adding a piece onto mine to create a jacking point too.

Anyway, here's what I came up with: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67850.40.html

[/quote]
Yes it did come in handy for a jacking point.  Also using the bumper bracket holes allowed me to drop the k-frame and I can reinstall it with having to move things around.  I had to jack it up some to clear the k-frame with the power steering still attached and slide the tranny out while they were on their own jack.

bull

Yea, that's the thing about mine. It's such that I can't put the K-frame in place with it built the way it is. But I was kind of tied into a design that utilized the free scrap I was able to get my hands on and none of it was flat bar. I got a bunch of really nice rectangular tubing and a few chunks of angle and that's about it. Oh well, I'm not complaining.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bull on March 20, 2010, 02:50:11 AM
Quote from: oldcarnut on March 19, 2010, 09:29:33 PM
I'm sure I'm going to regret posting this but if you can't laugh at yourself once in awhile then ooh well  :smilielol: :hah:.  This is one poor mans dolly I threw together from a scrapped cut up boat trailer  :eek2:.  Despite it's looks, it works good for me moving it in and out the garage.  Surprisingly pretty sturdy too and best of all it cost me $0  :icon_smile_big:.  Only thing missing was the airplane propeller for the fan blade before I took the eng. tranny, and suspension out  :lol:.

Damn thats pretty
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser