News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you own a pair of AMD rear fender splash shields?

Started by bull, February 21, 2010, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

If so I have a couple questions for you. First off, do they come with the three-legged support bracket that bolts to the bottom of the fender? Second, are they exactly like the originals and do they fit right? I keep staring at the picture they show of them on the AMD site and they just don't look right. I'm sure they are fine but something looks off.

Also, if anyone has pics of how they're supposed to attach at the top I'd appreciate seeing them.

A383Wing

Long time friend of mine makes those and the front ones out of 'glass so they will never rust again.....seals are included with his

Now to answer yer question, "I got no clue"

bull

I figured one thing out that's not correct in the pics; there's only two big bolt holes in the middle of one of them. :shruggy:

Roth68rt

The picture is of the back side.  The three legged bracket is on the front. 
Steve

bull

Ok, so other than the missing hole of the three in the middle I also need to know what that large hole at the top is supposed to attach to. The small ones are for the rubber apron but neither of miy shields were attached to anything at the top so I'm still looking for that info.

gasoline_24

I installed them on mine, and they do fit, but not exactly.  The three legged bolt was off and had to be bent on both sides to fit correctly.  However, after undercoating you cannot tell.

Troy

The large hole at the top mounts to the fender I believe. I'll have to check tonight. The bolt is always covered with undercoating.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Troy on February 22, 2010, 02:45:56 PM
The large hole at the top mounts to the fender I believe. I'll have to check tonight. The bolt is always covered with undercoating.

Troy

I wonder if it's supposed to go on that bolt that holds the top rear of the fender to the body.

Back N Black

Here is a couple of pics, first pic is the passenger side with splash shield not mounted. Top corner is where the larger screw holds the splash shield in place. In the second pic you can see the larger screw on the left of pic. The last pic is the driverside with the splash shield installed, you can see the larger screw in top left corner.

Roth68rt

Would you happen to have a picture of how the vertical rubber seals are attached to the shields? 
Steve

Back N Black

Quote from: Roth68rt on February 23, 2010, 10:42:28 PM
Would you happen to have a picture of how the vertical rubber seals are attached to the shields? 
Steve

Here is a pic with the fender removed.

bull

So does the large hole at the top of the shield attach to the hole in that tab that's hanging down in your first pic? I'm still not quite getting it. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Back N Black

Quote from: bull on February 24, 2010, 10:09:54 AM
So does the large hole at the top of the shield attach to the hole in that tab that's hanging down in your first pic? I'm still not quite getting it. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

In the pic below i circled the clip where the top of the splash sheild attaches. On my first pic the insert for the screw was missing.

bull

Ok. I just looked again and saw that before I read your explanation. Sorry. It was late when I looked at it last.

Anyway, thanks. :2thumbs:

Roth68rt

Thanks Back N Black, the new seals did not come with holes and I wasn't sure which flange the retainers went through. 
Steve

71RT4ME

For the vertical rubber seals , get the Top Catwhiskers brand seals from Restoration Specialties. They fit and are the right profile. I have bought other brands that were just too thick and will not fit without a ton of trimming and swearing. Those splashshields are tough enough to install with perfect original parts so you need proper seals that fit. 

Troy

Quote from: Back N Black on February 24, 2010, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: Roth68rt on February 23, 2010, 10:42:28 PM
Steve

Here is a pic with the fender removed.

That's my car! :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Well thanks for letting us use it!

BTW, seems to me it would be easier to install the splash shields with the new rubber seals before installing the fender. Am I stating the obvious?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bull on February 27, 2010, 06:36:25 PM
Well thanks for letting us use it!

BTW, seems to me it would be easier to install the splash shields with the new rubber seals before installing the fender. Am I stating the obvious?

I would if the new rubber seals don't have holes in them,it would be a lot easier.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser