News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Transmission torqe converter

Started by Bob, March 04, 2010, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

While reading one of the other strings I learned something about torque converters.
About a year ago I had a 727 attached to a 1972, 440 forged crank. I sold the engine and attached the 727 to my 1974, cast crank 400 engine. Do I now have an issue with the torque converter since apparently one is ballance and one is not? If I do, can I just take my old converter and install on this transmission?
Thanks
Bob

twinscrew698

Yes you will have an issue! Vibration issues!
U can knock off the balancing weights on the Forged Crank converter or u can just use just use the converter that came with the cast crank 400..
Some might have a better idea but i believe this is the right way!

Bob

Quote from: twinscrew698 on March 04, 2010, 09:06:24 AM
U can knock off the balancing weights on the Forged Crank converter or u can just use just use the converter that came with the cast crank 400..
Some might have a better idea but i believe this is the right way!

I guess I could get to them through the access plate with out having to drop the whole tranny.

68coronetGLwannabe

I figured this out to from another thread. All I did was change the converter using the same trans. Had about 100 miles on it before the change and the conv. was all beat up from the vibration.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Bob

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on March 04, 2010, 11:03:25 AM
I figured this out to from another thread. All I did was change the converter using the same trans. Had about 100 miles on it before the change and the conv. was all beat up from the vibration.

Ouch! I'm glad i don't drive that much. I guess when I do the cam Ill change the converter.

John_Kunkel

U can knock off the balancing weights on the Forged Crank converter

Hold on there, the cast crank 400 needs weight(s), not to have them removed. The only forged 440 crank that needs weights is the '70-'71 HP, all other forged 440's have no weights so there would be none to remove on a '72.

The original converter that came with the 400 would be the one to use.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 04, 2010, 08:08:07 PM

Hold on there, the cast crank 400 needs weight(s), not to have them removed. The only forged 440 crank that needs weights is the '70-'71 HP, all other forged 440's have no weights so there would be none to remove ojn a '72.

Thank you John.

twinscrew698

Sorry Bob!! Got it Backwards!As Its always better to double check.as in this case!
I found out the hard way! Way back then before computers and after a crank replacement!

Bob

Quote from: twinscrew698 on March 05, 2010, 06:58:28 AM
Sorry Bob!! Got it Backwards!As Its always better to double check.as in this case!
I found out the hard way! Way back then before computers and after a crank replacement!

No problem. It's not like I ran out and did it last night.  :smilielol:
Thanks
Bob

firefighter3931

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 04, 2010, 08:08:07 PM

Hold on there, the cast crank 400 needs weight(s), not to have them removed. The only forged 440 crank that needs weights is the '70-'71 HP, all other forged 440's have no weights so there would be none to remove ojn a '72.

John is correct, as usual !  :yesnod:

The original 400 cast crank converter will have weights so it can be re-used with the stock flexplate.

B&M makes a special flexplate to adapt a non weighted converter to an external balance (cast crank) engine. There is a scalloped cutout in the flexplate that compensates for the missing weights that would normally be required for that application. Just another option if you didn't have a weighted converter on hand and wanted to use a forged crank converter on a cast crank application.

Bob, a stock converter will work fine with the cam that we picked out for your build....you're good to go  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs