News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MP Ignition question

Started by Purple68, February 25, 2010, 05:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple68

I'm wondering if any of you are running this combination in their cars. I bought a MP blaster coil and a chrome box, then I read somewhere I need the 1/4 ohm resistor for that coil, so I installed that as well. I'm concerned about reliability and want to know if any of you are running this set-up. I'm thinking for the street maybe I should be switching back to the regular coil and 1 ohm resistor. Also I read somewhere that the chrome box may run hot on the street and not last.  Experiences? Thanks.

Nacho-RT74

I'm running same setup with stock 1 ohm dual resistor. You don't NEEED either 1/4 or 1 ohm resistor, all depends of the use, abuse and performance you want to get

shame, last week my chromed box said BYE BYE. Dunno if is because the street use related. I don't think so. They are "spec'ed" for street strip use.

Mostly of ppl likes more use the Chromed instead the Orange due some quality issues

somebody told me ( dunno remmeber who ) that if you call mancini Racing they will tell you is better to use 1 ohm resistor with Chromed box, maybe due the longer or higher spark shot given :shruggy:.

I keept my dual resistor setup just in case I was to get damaged the ECU and need any replacement available on the road including 5 pins unit ( what in fact did happen )

BTW, The MSD resistors coming with Coils are 0.8 ohms
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I had the 1/4 and went back to the one ohm.  I can't remember if it was Mancini or advice from here but someone told me the 1/4 ohm would shorten coil life and in a street car the extra shot to the plugs wouldn't be needed.

Purple68

OK, thanks guys. I think I'll grab a 1 ohm then cause I'm planning on putting on some miles on this summer. :2thumbs:

Musicman

1/4 ohm resistor was for Race Box and Racing Coil, which would get hot if operated for extended periods of time below 3000 RPM. (Race Only)