News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it worth it?

Started by Tilar, February 25, 2010, 04:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I'm wanting to put a 72 hideaway headlight grille and bumper on my 73. I have had contact with one person with one and he quoted me a price of $800 but he's backtracked so much about it that I don't really think he wants to sell it.

I found another complete setup, grille, bumper, motors and wiring for $1500 plus freight, but I'm not sure what they are worth? I haven't seen pics yet but according the guy it is in great shape other than some of the chrome on one corner of the bumper doesn't look that great.

I'm not against spending the money if it is a fair price, but I don't want to spend $1500 plus a couple hundred freight for $800 worth of parts.  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Khyron

o.O

I would say no, but then again, mine already has pop ups so what do I know.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PocketThunder

How far away is the $800 set up? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Skyview69

It sounds like that might be a little pricey...the $800 might be ok if it is in perfect condition  :Twocents:

Tilar

The $800 one is probably a days drive away just guessing but like I said he seems to be backpeddling on it. Last I talked to him he wasnt sure he wanted to part the car out just yet. I haven't seen any pictures of either one yet.
Dave  

PocketThunder

Quote from: Tilar on February 25, 2010, 04:55:56 PM
The $800 one is probably a days drive away just guessing but like I said he seems to be backpeddling on it. Last I talked to him he wasnt sure he wanted to part the car out just yet. I haven't seen any pictures of either one yet.

Buy the whole car and part it out yourself.?  maybe? :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tricky lugnuts

Not trying to say it's worth it or not, but take a look at what just the motors are going for - or not going for on eBay, if you can find one.

I've seen people asking for as much as $250 for just a working motor.

Front bumper if rechromed, $400-$500. Front bumper brackets? The headlight doors? All the brackets? The emblem? The interior relay and the wiring harness?

Obviously $800 sounds better than $1,500 given equal conditions. I'd drive one day to save $700. No pictures on the condition would have me worried... It's expensive to rechrome a front bumper and the headlight doors seem very prone to pitting, and the motors are tough to rebuild unless you have the right spare parts.

For a COMPLETE and very CHERRY, show-worthy setup, I'd say $1,500 isn't too ridiculous. But it better be nice stuff for that price.

FYI: When some lady ran into the front of my Charger and tweaked my bumper, her insurance company paid about $500 for a new, rechromed bumper and another $450 for the passenger side headlight door and the inner grill section from Stephens Performance... As well as $1,000 for a decent fender.

twodko

Avoid wishy-washy sellers IMO. Nothing is better than laying eyes on any prospective purchase. Good luck and let us know the outcome. Cheers.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Tilar

I got pics of the $1500 one and basically they are 38 year old parts. The bumper is straight but it has a pretty good scrape alone one side where it looks like someone tagged one of those concrete pillars and scraped the chrome off. The grill itself looks alright but definitely not show quality.

The other guy that is not sure about parting his car out wants me to come take a look at the whole thing. He shot me a price about half again higher than the $1500. I'll probably just do that and maybe part it out... Just gotta wait for some of this snow to melt.
Dave  

jeryst

Quote from: Tilar on February 26, 2010, 04:58:57 PM
I got pics of the $1500 one and basically they are 38 year old parts. The bumper is straight but it has a pretty good scrape alone one side where it looks like someone tagged one of those concrete pillars and scraped the chrome off. The grill itself looks alright but definitely not show quality.

The other guy that is not sure about parting his car out wants me to come take a look at the whole thing. He shot me a price about half again higher than the $1500. I'll probably just do that and maybe part it out... Just gotta wait for some of this snow to melt.

Why dont you just say what he wanted for it? I have no idea what "half again higher than the $1500" means. Does that mean he now wants $1200 (50% higher than $800) for the $800 setup, or does it mean that he wants $2200 (50% higher than $1500) for the $800 setup? Sorry, maybe I'm just dense. Never was good in math - lol.

Why would you want to buy it and part it out when you said that you wanted it for your car?

Tilar

Quote from: jeryst on February 26, 2010, 05:35:05 PM
Why dont you just say what he wanted for it? I have no idea what "half again higher than the $1500" means.

Your must be one of them city boys...  :poke:  Half again higher than $1500 would be $2250. I wanted the grille assembly for my 73 just because I like that grille style.. I haven't seen the 72 so I have no idea what shape it is in. It may be a pile of rust and I need to consider it a parts car until I see otherwise. If by some chance it turns out to be decent enough to do something with then by all means I will.
Dave  

tricky lugnuts

If you want it I've got at least one 72-style headlight door and one chrome surround bezel - can't remember which side they're. Price would be dirt cheap. They're just taking up space at my place.

I realize it's not a whole setup, but...

Also, I think I might know of someone in the Toledo, OH area who might still have a complete 72-style set up. Almost everything he's got is always for sale. Let me know if you want me to try and ask for you.

Tilar

Absolutely. I bought this 73 from a guy in Toledo. That's just 130 miles or so from me and would be an easy drive to go get it.  :yesnod:
Dave  

snagm z

talking from my recent experience.

1.  front bumber brackets (if going on a 73-74 or cut yours)
2. if available a dash wiring harness with RELAY !!! Important or modify yours
3. Motor must function and white plastic drive gear intact ******
4. the center motor bumber mount make sure tension springs are still on the doors
5. going to need a 71 or 72 Donner bumper for reference
6. torsion bar and clips
7. headlight wiring harness
hopefully the pot metal is not pitted to bad and  paint is intact then and only then is it worth $800 IMO  
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

Topher

Sorry to bust up in yaws conversation, but I need to know something. Is there enough demand for the plastic gear in these motors to warrant someone (me) to go through with reproducing them? I am at the point that all I need to do is pull the trigger and tell the company I've been talking to to go ahead and build the mold and run some gears, and cams. They'll be made out of the same material the original ones were with a great big advantage-availability. It's a pricy venture which is why I am looking for an answer about the demand. I rebuild headlight motors for 66-67s, and have a handful of the 3rd gen motors here that need the gear, so I know there's a demand, I just need to know how big it is. Once I give the go ahead(and lay down a mound of cash) it'll be 6-8 weeks before the gears are ready.

So this thread doesn't get clogged up, if you're interested in this please send me a pm.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

74charger360

Quote from: twodko on February 26, 2010, 03:15:44 PM
Avoid wishy-washy sellers IMO. Nothing is better than laying eyes on any prospective purchase. Good luck and let us know the outcome. Cheers.

Tom
:iagree: I had found a whole bumper, hideaway grills, motor, bumper brackets, pretty much whole assy. on craigslist in Ohio? i think? anyways he only wanted 300 for it but, he wasnt familiar with how to ship it and he couldn't use something like paypal.  needless to say it KILLED me to pass on it but i live in Southern LA. and the transaction just seemed like it was too much of a chance.  but when i talked to him over the phone he seemed to know these cars pretty well so idk  :shruggy:

tricky lugnuts

I sent a couple emails to the neighbor of the guy (a good friend of mine) that at least used to have the hideaway setup for sale.

Hopefully I'll hear something back soon. If it's a go I'll PM you with the guys email or phone number and name.

I live in Brown County, Indiana now so it's not as easy as just walking over to his house for me, but they're all good people... I'll keep you posted.

Tilar

Quote from: 74charger360 on February 27, 2010, 09:05:46 AM
Quote from: twodko on February 26, 2010, 03:15:44 PM

Tom
:iagree: I had found a whole bumper, hideaway grills, motor, bumper brackets, pretty much whole assy. on craigslist in Ohio? i think? anyways he only wanted 300 for it but, he wasnt familiar with how to ship it and he couldn't use something like paypal.  needless to say it KILLED me to pass on it but i live in Southern LA. and the transaction just seemed like it was too much of a chance.  but when i talked to him over the phone he seemed to know these cars pretty well so idk  :shruggy:

Since you didn't buy it, Do you still have contact information for this guy?

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on February 27, 2010, 12:29:07 PM
I sent a couple emails to the neighbor of the guy (a good friend of mine) that at least used to have the hideaway setup for sale.

Hopefully I'll hear something back soon. If it's a go I'll PM you with the guys email or phone number and name.

I live in Brown County, Indiana now so it's not as easy as just walking over to his house for me, but they're all good people... I'll keep you posted.

Great, Thanks.
Dave  

74charger360

ACUDANUT

The motor can be rebuilt cheap. I have a set that I just raise and lower by hand in a matter of a minute or two. I don't drive much at night and that's the only reason I never have bothered fixing mine.  :Twocents:
Where do you live Tillar ?

Tilar

I'm in North Central Ohio, About 20 miles south of Mansfield.
Dave  

ipstrategies

I would keep your eye out and you will find a deal. I know 1200 will get you a whole parts car a lot of times.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Tilar

I ended up buying one from a guy in Akron for less than half what the first guy wanted and he met me part way when I went to pick it up. Pictures really don't do it justice.

On the first pic, I'm going to need the center piece. Maybe I can find one at Carlisle if I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Dave  

jeryst

AND HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACUDANUT

Damn, looks brand new.  :2thumbs:  If you can't find the center piece, let me know....I might have one.

Tilar

I'm not even sure what it looks like to be honest.
Dave  

ACUDANUT

Seriously ?  GO here :Topic: 3rd gen charger guys post your pics  (Read 20922 times)  ALL 71 and 72's have these.

Tilar

Oh DUH. Yeah I remember it now.  :lol:  I think my mind was a little clouded yesterday by how clean this grill and bumper turned out to be.
Dave  

Skyview69

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 07, 2010, 05:13:23 PM
Damn, looks brand new.  :2thumbs:  If you can't find the center piece, let me know....I might have one.

I could use one if you still have one available  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Well, tilar asked first...Price is.......FREE. Maybe 5.00 to ship. I need your e-mail address to send pic's. It does need some paint and cleaning up.

tricky lugnuts

Skyview69

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 08, 2010, 06:22:00 PM
Well, tilar asked first...Price is.......FREE. Maybe 5.00 to ship. I need your e-mail address to send pic's. It does need some paint and cleaning up.

If Tilar does not want let me know and I'll take  :2thumbs:

thanks

Tilar

I had bid on one of those emblems on ebay about the same time he sent me pics of the one he has, and I unexpectedly ended up winning the bid, so Mike, if Skyview69 wants the one you have feel free to let him have it. I really do appreciate the offer... Maybe sometime I can return the gesture.  :cheers:
Dave  

ACUDANUT

Okay Skyview. It's yours if you want. :cheers:

Hemidog

Man, did you go back to 1972 and buy it over the counter?  :drool5:

Skyview69