News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Selling a car overseas

Started by 66FBCharger, February 25, 2010, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I received an email from a guy from Norway asking where I was located. He is "very interested" in my '66 Charger. He didn't know what Ct. (Connecticut) stood for. He wanted to get a quote to ship the car to him in Norway. He didn't ask any questions about the car. I am concerned that this could be a scam. Has anyone sold a car to someone outside the country? Do you have any tips to protect against a scam? I was thinking I would require the car to be paid in US dollars by a wire transfer.
Anyone have any opinions or advice?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

charger500440

I hope you informed him that "Connecticut" is an Indian word, meaning "to tax to death". Little known fact...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

66FBCharger

Quote from: charger500440 on February 25, 2010, 08:25:54 AM
I hope you informed him that "Connecticut" is an Indian word, meaning "to tax to death". Little known fact...

Mike
Mike,
I thought it meant "to tax to death and then some". Even after death they take your money!
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

41husk

I sold my 68 to Australia, I believe it takes a lot of trust on both sides.  You can't go wrong if you have payment in full before he gets the car or title, but the buyer has to trust you to do that.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

CB

My guess is that this guy isn't ready to buy (read don't have enough money) or don't know what it takes.
You can ask him if he realise that the car needs to be shipped to NY, from there to Norway. Plus all the extras like S/H charges, customs, other third party expenses..

I bought almost a dosen of cars and shipped it to Europe, I know what hassle it can bring.
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PocketThunder

There are a handfull of members here from Norway.  Maybe ask one of them to verify if this guy is legit and go from there.?..??  Member NorwayCharger is the first one that comes to mind.  and i think suntech is a Norway resident also.

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Hemidog

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 25, 2010, 11:39:19 AM
There are a handfull of members here from Norway.  Maybe ask one of them to verify if this guy is legit and go from there.?..??  Member NorwayCharger is the first one that comes to mind.  and i think suntech is a Norway resident also.

Paul
I feel left out!  :nana:

The guy that BUYS the car should be in charge of the shipping.  :Twocents:

C500

Quote from: Hemidog on February 25, 2010, 11:47:03 AM

Paul

The guy that BUYS the car should be in charge of the shipping.  :Twocents:

agreed. I had my car sent here to NZ. I arranged all the shipping, including trucking to California. All the seller needs to do is wait for payment, then be there when the car is picked up.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Hemidog on February 25, 2010, 11:47:03 AM

Paul

Sorry my mopar brother, i'll come see you sometime if i ever go visit relatives in Oslo.   :cheers:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

suntech

Hi Guys! Hemidog, Norwaycharger and me are all from Norway, and from different parts of it. Hemidog is from a place close to Oslo, Norwaycharger close to Bodø, further north, and i live in Kristiansand, almost on the south tip. Ask the guy where in Norway he is coming from, and that there are members of this forum from Norway that can advice him with shipping etc. Anyways.....same rules applies for him as for everybody else.....needs to send money before car leaves!!
I know it seems a little frightening to deal with people from the other side of the globe, but i have said it before, and i will say it again:
1. None of the European contries are "3rd world backyard banana republics" there most people are scammers!
2. You will need to give him your bank details for him to transfer money to you, and that is the only thing he will be able to do. Nobody other than you can take money OUT from the account!!!
3. He might want to see a copy of title and some kind of ID from you, to prove that the car is yours etc.....There are NOTHING he can do with that, and there is nothing wrong with sending him a copy of that. Quit bitching about ID theft and crap like that.....some has seen to many movies!!!  :D Think how you would do to ensure you were not buttf***ed if you wanted to buy a car from Norway!!!!

hehe............i have seen it here on several occasions that people are screaming scam as soon as there are people from abroad that wants to buy a car, but i can ensure you that there are real people with real money that would like to buy a real car, also outside USA  :2thumbs:
Bottomline.............you guys are worrying way to much!! :D  
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

TXcharger70

Be carefull! My in laws had a similar situation happen and this guy want to buy there fury, it turn out he sent fake cashiers check and it turned out to be a scam. I even want to say he was from Norway. They live in Arizona. Just be careful and make sure you have a direct deposit transaction and you are sure you have the money then ship the car

suntech

Nobody in their right mind would mail a cashiers check across the globe and assume that the guy that recieves it would give out stuff before he has cash in hand or on account!! Wire transfer was invented many many years ago!!  :D
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Belgium R/T -68

I fully agree with suntech :2thumbs: The only possible looser in a transaction like that is the buyer, he/she has to send the money before you deliver the car anywhere.
I would say the opposite, we are more likely to be scammed the you are since we in many cases don't see the car. I know because I've been.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

triple_green

Here is what I did when i sold my 69 to Netherlands.

Open a savings account at a commerical bank. Have the buyer "wire" the funds to your bank account. After you recieve the funds, close the account.

Wired funds are cleared funds (by definition). No cashiers checks to deal with.

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

CB

Quote from: triple_green on February 25, 2010, 02:57:28 PM
Here is what I did when i sold my 69 to Netherlands.

Open a savings account at a commerical bank. Have the buyer "wire" the funds to your bank account. After you recieve the funds, close the account.

Wired funds are cleared funds (by definition). No cashiers checks to deal with.

Mark

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Khyron

and don't ever trust those people from Norway, i hear they are like a 3rd world country over there ;) :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

suntech

Quoteand don't ever trust those people from Norway, i hear they are like a 3rd world country over there  

Hello my name is Abdullah, i am very interrested in your item!! :D Please send me item, and i will send you check :nana:

BTW: i see people talk about open new accounts etc........what is wrong with the account you have?? :shruggy:

PocketThunder

Quote from: suntech on February 25, 2010, 03:14:07 PM
Quoteand don't ever trust those people from Norway, i hear they are like a 3rd world country over there  

Hello my name is Abdullah, i am very interrested in your item!! :D Please send me item, and i will send you check :nana:

BTW: i see people talk about open new accounts etc........what is wrong with the account you have?? :shruggy:

Some people still think that the buyer could extract money from an existing account.   :shruggy:  Highly unlikely though. 

Darkman

As mentioned before, it is a big trust game on both sides. For the seller, will they get the money and for the buyer will they get the car (and is it the car they paid for). I think the buyer has a lot more at risk because a lot can go wrong. For example, they transfer the money and then:

1. The seller takes the money and does not send the car
2. The seller sends the car (but it's not what the buyer paid for)
3. The car goes missing/gets damaged during transport.

Not to mention they have most likely have bought the car site unseen!

However, since I am only a new member here, I would say if you bought a car from a member here, you would be safe (trustworthy seller!)

On that note if any one has a 69 charger (project car or running) they are willing to sell to me in Australia (I will organise all transport and shipping), drop me a PM! (I am very serious)

Even with the current conversion, it will be cheaper to buy from the US and ship it here then to buy one of the very few on sale here!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

472 R/T SE

My Harley went to Japan.
My Super Bee went down under.

Each time money was wired into my account.  Not a new one.  And the bank pretty much guaranteed no one will ever be able to take money out of my account.

Sellers' always seem to be the ones worried.  What about the buyers?  How many times do you hear about some schmuck falsely advertising some thing to someone over seas?  If the buyer's worried about what shipping, etc. is gonna cost the seller has them over the barrel.  If they're having problems finding shipping money there's no way they'll be able to afford to fly over here to pay the seller a visit.

My hat's off to you guys' overseas buying our iron sight unseen.  Hell of a chance you're taking.

Also I might add, you Norwegians have a better grasp on the English language than a lot of Americans.  ;)

Khyron

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 25, 2010, 06:25:54 PM
Also I might add, you Norwegians have a better grasp on the English language than a lot of Americans.  ;)

was that a crack :P

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidog

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 25, 2010, 06:25:54 PM

You should listen to our politicians speak english, It's painful!

suntech

QuoteMy hat's off to you guys' overseas buying our iron sight unseen.  Hell of a chance you're taking.

Sombody has understood that the buyers are taking all the risks, specially bought unseen. :2thumbs:
Honestly i am wondering what the hell the sellers are worried about, since their risk is ZERO, assuming they are not stupid enaugh to send a car away without getting payed. Every bank in the world, at least the ones without gravel floor and notebook for records, can garantee you that no one but you can take money out of your account, so that new account stuff is simply waste of time and work.
Now......there will always be assholes in both ends of the rope, as long as money is involved, but sellers risk is limited to that money might not arrive, and car stays in the garage! Buyers risk, on the other hand, is a hell of a lot bigger, since he/ she are the ones spending money here!!
We have all heard horror stories about people from my part of the world that has been buttf***ed big time, buying something unseen, trusting the seller, and ended up with a overpriced rustbucket at the port!! Using the fact that this buyer did not know what Ct. ment, as a flag for scam :scratchchin:........how many of you know what Finnmark means?? ..............for info it is a region up north in Norway about twice the size of Connecticut!!
I am lucky to have a bunch of good friends a lot of places in the States, from the time i raced boats over there, so when i found my car on ebay, i called one of them up, and he went over to take a look at it for me, and even drove it home to his place and stored it till I came over. I was lucky, the car was like seller told me, and i even got positive surpriced when i got to have a close look at it when i got it home. I got more than i thought i would get.
If i was gooing to spend 20+ K for a car, i would have spent another K to fly over and see it in person, if i did´nt have the opportunity i had. Very good investment in my eyes.
If you then want the car, the bank can do the wire in 2-4 days, and you can hang around there til funds has arrived, and leave with the car, and drive it yourself to the shipping port, and save the money for landfreight, as that might easily add up to what you payed for the flight. I did that, and enjoyed the hell out of it!!  :2thumbs:
Short version of car dealing handbook:
1. If you buy a car unseen, or without a trustable person to look at it/ buy it for you, you have accepted the risk of getting fooled by a untrustworthy seller.
2. If you sell a car, and think a personal check from national bank of Nigeria is good enaugh security to let your car go, then you deserve to loose it!

Bigmouth from Norway rests his case!! hehe.

Belgium R/T -68

Like stated before, it's all about trust. I have one good and one bad experience in this subject:

I found a -69 GTX vert in Hemmings, car located in Las Vegas. After a couple of phonecalls we agreed on the price and the guy should help
me organize a roadtransport to "lilwendal" in Florida, a friend of mine who helps me to ship over to Europe. A few days later I call the seller to ask
for the total amount to be wired including the shipping to Fl and I almost had a heartfailure when he told me that the car was already shipped to
my friend, not yet paid for. That is trust and we both got what we wanted, the car was super and he got his money.

I bought a -70 Charger on ebay, supposed to be a matching 383 engine in the car and no rust. Car arrived to Mike in Florida, had a -73 400 engine
from a truck and bondo all over. Last car I bought unseen.

Have bought a -70 cuda, a -70 chally vert, a chrysler 300 -69 and my charger from the US unseen aswell in the past without issues so with me
in most cases I feel over the phone if the seller is serious, if you have enough phonecalls ofcourse, that it's ok or not but sometimes you are wrong.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

66FBCharger

Quote from: suntech on February 26, 2010, 03:27:43 AM
QuoteMy hat's off to you guys' overseas buying our iron sight unseen.  Hell of a chance you're taking.

Sombody has understood that the buyers are taking all the risks, specially bought unseen. :2thumbs:
Honestly i am wondering what the hell the sellers are worried about, since their risk is ZERO, assuming they are not stupid enaugh to send a car away without getting payed. Every bank in the world, at least the ones without gravel floor and notebook for records, can garantee you that no one but you can take money out of your account, so that new account stuff is simply waste of time and work.
Now......there will always be assholes in both ends of the rope, as long as money is involved, but sellers risk is limited to that money might not arrive, and car stays in the garage! Buyers risk, on the other hand, is a hell of a lot bigger, since he/ she are the ones spending money here!!
We have all heard horror stories about people from my part of the world that has been buttf***ed big time, buying something unseen, trusting the seller, and ended up with a overpriced rustbucket at the port!! Using the fact that this buyer did not know what Ct. ment, as a flag for scam :scratchchin:........how many of you know what Finnmark means?? ..............for info it is a region up north in Norway about twice the size of Connecticut!!
I am lucky to have a bunch of good friends a lot of places in the States, from the time i raced boats over there, so when i found my car on ebay, i called one of them up, and he went over to take a look at it for me, and even drove it home to his place and stored it till I came over. I was lucky, the car was like seller told me, and i even got positive surpriced when i got to have a close look at it when i got it home. I got more than i thought i would get.
If i was gooing to spend 20+ K for a car, i would have spent another K to fly over and see it in person, if i did´nt have the opportunity i had. Very good investment in my eyes.
If you then want the car, the bank can do the wire in 2-4 days, and you can hang around there til funds has arrived, and leave with the car, and drive it yourself to the shipping port, and save the money for landfreight, as that might easily add up to what you payed for the flight. I did that, and enjoyed the hell out of it!!  :2thumbs:
Short version of car dealing handbook:
1. If you buy a car unseen, or without a trustable person to look at it/ buy it for you, you have accepted the risk of getting fooled by a untrustworthy seller.
2. If you sell a car, and think a personal check from national bank of Nigeria is good enaugh security to let your car go, then you deserve to loose it!

Bigmouth from Norway rests his case!! hehe.

Thank you all for your input. I learned a lot.
I am not using the fact that the potential buyer didn't know what Ct. means as a red flag for a scam. I am using the fact that "he is very interested" but has not asked any questions about the car or asked for photos. He also is new to the FBBO website and has only one post. The post was a reply to a car for sale where he asks the same thing he asked me (Is the car still available? I am very interested.) That is what makes me nervous.
I responded to the potential buyer about where the car was located earlier in the week. I have not received a reply yet.
I understand that the buyer is taking the biggest risk. I have never sold anything outside the country so that is why ask everyone here for guidance.
After reading all the great posts here, I feel better.

suntech

QuoteHe also is new to the FBBO website and has only one post

Never heard of that. What is that website?

The fact that he did not ask many questions about the car, and has not responded to your email could mean many things, like :

You have described the car very good in the ad, with a lot of pictures etc.
Not comfortable with english, so he is waiting for a buddy to help
Daydreamer with no money
Not computerfreak like many of us!!

You know what i mean Buddy...... just dont let the car go wihout getting paid, regardless of it is Norway or next town car is going  :2thumbs:

66FBCharger

Quote from: suntech on February 26, 2010, 08:03:14 AM
QuoteHe also is new to the FBBO website and has only one post

Never heard of that. What is that website?

The fact that he did not ask many questions about the car, and has not responded to your email could mean many things, like :

You have described the car very good in the ad, with a lot of pictures etc.
Not comfortable with english, so he is waiting for a buddy to help
Daydreamer with no money
Not computerfreak like many of us!!

You know what i mean Buddy...... just dont let the car go wihout getting paid, regardless of it is Norway or next town car is going  :2thumbs:

FBBO is For B Bodies only.
I guess time will tell as to whether he is a serious buyer or just a tire kicker.
I have the car advertised on this site as well as a few other Mopar related sites.
Thanks for your responses.