News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick rundown: what all do I need for electronic ignition

Started by bull, February 21, 2010, 01:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

All I have at this point is an MP electronic dist. Does someone sell everything else I need? And what all do I need exactly? I've never set up an electronic ignition before and could use a basic explanation and parts list I guess.

Ghoste

An ecu, a wiring harness to connect it and a correctly rated ballast resistor.  From MP the part numbers are P4120505 for the orange ecu, P3690152 for the harness, and P5206436 for the resistor.

1BAD68

terrible one

Bull I have the harness that plugs into the ECU. Brand new and came with the MP conversion kit but my engine harness was already properly equipped. If you end up needing it on the cheap PM me.

And Ghoste pretty much covered it except I think you need the 70 and up voltage reglator too.

68r/t

I bought the engine harness from MegaParts, it has the ecu plug and also retains the wires for the 68 style voltage regulator. It all looks standard as you are using one harness instead of an additional ecu harness.
I then bought an ecu and ballast resistor from Mancini's.

Ghoste

Oh yes, an electronic regulator.  Terrible one is right, you should have one of those.  It will operate with an old points style one but it is much better to use the elctronic one with it.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the 70 and up style though, you can use one of those ones that looks like a points style but has the solid state guts and plugs into your existing harness.

Musicman

Cooter

Part number for MSD 6AL kit.....All you need Brother....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

Quote from: terrible one on February 21, 2010, 11:55:41 AM
Bull I have the harness that plugs into the ECU. Brand new and came with the MP conversion kit but my engine harness was already properly equipped. If you end up needing it on the cheap PM me.

And Ghoste pretty much covered it except I think you need the 70 and up voltage reglator too.

If you purchased the Year One reproduction wiring harness with the electronic ignition upgrade then I have the same thing.

terrible one

Quote from: bull on February 21, 2010, 10:25:13 PM

If you purchased the Year One reproduction wiring harness with the electronic ignition upgrade then I have the same thing.

Yep you are all set there like me then. :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: terrible one on February 22, 2010, 12:45:01 AM
Quote from: bull on February 21, 2010, 10:25:13 PM

Yep you are all set there like me then. :2thumbs:

So then the ECU goes into that same harness and back out to the distributor, right? I'll have to take a closer look at my harness. So I guess all I need is an ECU, a regulator and a resistor.

Back N Black

You will need the 4 prong ballast resistor because the new harness is setup for later model ignition system.

Musicman

bull

Quote from: Back N Black on February 22, 2010, 01:56:30 PM
You will need the 4 prong ballast resistor because the new harness is setup for later model ignition system.

What's a good source for those?

Ghoste

IF you have the harness for it.  Most of the newer conversion kits eliminate one of the 5 leads coming off the ecu and go with the two prong resistor.

terrible one

Quote from: Ghoste on February 22, 2010, 03:55:46 PM
IF you have the harness for it.  Most of the newer conversion kits eliminate one of the 5 leads coming off the ecu and go with the two prong resistor.

this is what my new harness does. From Evan's wiring though. I haven't seen the four prong ballast like that before. Is there any advantage?

Ghoste

I haven't seen it as part of one of MP's kits in years and to be honest, I can't even remember now what the idea behind the dual resistor was.  I'm going to have to go through some of my old junk and find out.

EDIT:  Near as I can find, the dual resistor was to allow one half to function as a normal one and protect the coil after startup and the other was to protect the components in the ecu.  Why the change to the single?  I don't know, perhaps Chrysler updated the ecu to handle this. 

bull

Musicman

Dual Ballast resistors are still readily available for under $10... as are the singles.

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/electronic.html

Rayzor

I thought all the factory electronic ignitions came with the dual post ballast. Seems to me it supplied full voltage to the coil when cranking for easier starts,  then when the key is rolled back to the run position the ballast cut the voltage down. I may have it all wrong.

Musicman

Dual Resistors weren't used until the later years... depending on the vehicle... certain cars had them in 73, others didn't see them until 75

Back N Black

Quote from: Musicman on February 23, 2010, 10:29:18 AM
Dual Resistors weren't used until the later years... depending on the vehicle... certain cars had them in 73, others didn't see them until 75

Yeah, they were an upgrade to the 2 prong and you can get them at any local parts store for $7.00.