News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever paid to have your car professionally photographed?

Started by Ghoste, February 20, 2010, 02:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I never have and it never really occurred to me but I was talking to a guy last night who had it done.  He insisted it was really common but I hadn't heard of it before.  Obviously outside of new cars for brochures or used ones for sale.  He meant general hobbyists and that was what I hadn't heard of.

TylerCharger69

Well...if YOU go to a photographer and request a photo shoot with the car.....yes.....But if someone comes up to YOU and wants to take pictures....then no.

Belgium R/T -68

I would say the opposite, sometimes "local" fashionmagazines and other PR agencys have asked me if they may use my cars for photoshoots in exchange for
something. ;)

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

TylerCharger69

right...in other words they want to use your car in a shoot and give you something in return. 

69_500

Quote from: Ghoste on February 20, 2010, 02:42:27 PM
I never have and it never really occurred to me but I was talking to a guy last night who had it done.  He insisted it was really common but I hadn't heard of it before.  Obviously outside of new cars for brochures or used ones for sale.  He meant general hobbyists and that was what I hadn't heard of.

What kind of photo's are you wanting shot of your car Ghoste? I'll loan you a camera

68X426

Would the Ghoste Charger even show up in a photo?  :D

This might be the result ....

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

A383Wing

I had mine done back in the 80's....was down at Boeing Flight Center...car was in front of older airplane....I'll try and fine pic and scan it

Big Sugar

Quote from: 68X426 on February 20, 2010, 06:37:35 PM
Would the Ghoste Charger even show up in a photo?  :D

This might be the result ....

Very Funny  :yesnod:
And it's a nice clear shot as well.

Great Photography.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Ghoste

Any pics of mine I just did myself.  That's sort of what puzzled me about it since it just never occured to me to pay someone else to take pictures of it for me.  Maybe some folks I can see doing it sure, but this guy was telling me it was common?

68X426

Nah, he was pulling your leg. Never heard of it.

My Runner has been in local papers twice, but they hardly qualify as professionals. :smilielol:

I suppose if you are selling and asking top dollar, maybe a glam shot would help, Maybe.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Brock Samson

Mine was in the Paper in Comparison to the new one a few years back, Troy (our fearless leader) did a phone interview...
those pics are down below.
 I have too much fun taking my own pictures to pay anyone but I'd love to arrange to get a shot like this first one.
           :yesnod:
this last one was shot at Samoa Raceway a few years ago.  

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

TexasStroker

I've never paid to have anyone take photos of my car.  That is something that I can do a pretty decent job of myself, imo anyway.  Most cameras now have different filters to shoot the car in any environment.  The special effects, if so inclined, are not done at the shoot, but in a studio on software.

At Chryslers in the Canyon, we did have a professional photographer (member's wife).  She was set up on one of the steep down-hill inclines. We timed the cars about 45 seconds apart so she could snap several coming, and several going.  The pictures turned out awesome!

She also took several of each car and then a few from the hill tops looking down at the parking lot below. 

No one had to pay for this, but she uploaded them to a photo hosting site and if you wanted to order prints from there you could do so, or you could order them direct from her.

The main thing I can say is this...Most of us have decent cameras, she had a state of the art camera.  Where several members' aerial shots were grainy and lacked resolution, her shots were phenomenal.  I am not sure you would really even think of there being a difference between the guy with the $150 Nikon and a pro photo UNTIL you see them side-by-side.

The next point is that any enthusiast can buy a camera, practice shooting with it, and get the same results.  But the question is if you can justify the expense of a say $1500 camera over the typical $150 model most of us have.  Same as a casual pool player with the $30 cue and the regular with the $1200 stick.

I would post pics, but I am of the blacklisted Black Grill Society (and yes, I prefer to spell it without the last "e" as well  :lol:).  The detail and clarity really is something.

I don't think it is necessary to pay to have your car shot unless you really want to.  Most of us can take decent shots and print them off, and frame them ourselves for about an hour worth of time and maybe $10 in materials.  I know several who have taken their own pics and sent them into mags who use them as is.

If you are curious what your car would look like from a higher resolution lens etc just find a friend with one and see.  If you don't want to do that come out to Chryslers in the Canyon this October and Della will snap a few for you.  To give you an idea of the detail, my pics are usually 3.5 MBs...her pictures are usually 10+ MB.  The difference is really in the details  :Twocents:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Ghoste

So generally you all share the opinion that it isn't a commonplace thing?

vancamp

the wife does our picture taking and i pay for it everyday :icon_smile_big:

TexasStroker

Quote from: Ghoste on February 21, 2010, 06:28:19 PM
So generally you all share the opinion that it isn't a commonplace thing?

Yes, in summary, it is not a common place thing  :lol:

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

ChgrSteve67

A friend of mine had a photographer shoot pictures of him, his wife and thier car.

I think for a lot of people they just don't have the eye for it.

Kinda like having common sence. A lot do but most don't.

I keep meaning to spend a few hours taking pictures of my Charger now that it is for the most part done.
I just wish I had the equipment to attach a camera to the outside of my car and remotely snap pictures while going down the road.  I also need a friend to snap some with me driving while going down the road.

For things like this I can see why some choose to get a pro.

A383Wing

Below is the only one we paid for...we belonged to the WPC Club back in the '70's & '80's.....we had national meet in Seattle....took tour of Boeing Flight Center.....

Brock Samson

I think Autodynamics had his car shot professionally and i think there were some wimmin in there too...  :scratchchin:

ChgrSteve67

elanmars

people seem to dig my pics but I haven't pimped myself out as a car photographer for the common folk. I do it as a side-job and hopefully one day it'll be my main job, majoring in it. Have fun with it, love it.

pics of my Charger with a friend before some minor body work and primer -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomasbot/sets/72157623140585932/

car show back in 2008 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomasbot/sets/72157616667785969/

pics of a '72 Plymouth Cuda and a friend -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomasbot/sets/72157617834235527/

pics of my (former) '73 Charger -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomasbot/sets/72157616759517794/

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

TheAutoArchaeologist

If you take your time, you can read up about photo techniques and take some really awesome pictures yourself.

This is taken with a basic P&S, but I bought a new Sony Alpha DSLR to further expand the clarity of the pictures.

Ryan