News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Something simple....battery? Can it be that easy?

Started by billschroeder5842, February 21, 2010, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Here is a question about my '69 with an electronic ignition.

A funny thing happened the other night when a buddy came over to help me re-tune my motor.

I started the car, no problem moved around the gargage, ran it and tuned it. I turned it off and tried a few minutes later. All I got was the solinoid click indicating low battery. A jump from another car had no effect...click, click, click.

About an hour later, I checked and it clicked-clicked a bit then fired a few minutes later. I put the trickle charger on it overnight and it popped off yesterday morning no problem. The rest of the electrical system is solid alternator charging at 14.

The battery is about 3 years old and I've "killed" it many times (my radio) and charged it back to life.

Couple of questions....
1) Sounds like my battery...right?
2) Why would it start, stop and then start again?
3) Anything else I need to check?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

GN

billschroeder5842

I'll check those things. I did however buy a new battery (to be safe) this morning and put it in...no problem; started right up.

How well, it is this little things that keep these cars interesting.
Texas Proud!

FLG

Bad connection at the cables, try cleaning em. Bad realy, bad gound somewhere.

Id vote for a bad ground somewhere or dirty connections.

mikepmcs

By putting the new battery in you most likely took care of both problems...new battery and loosened/retightend the cables most likely taking care of your ground issue.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Check your ign switch connection....been there done that :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

billschroeder5842

I actually had melting issues with the ignition switch a while back that I repaired. I ordered a new switch (ouch! '69s are expensive) and I have another cap/plug. I figured that I might as well be safe.

Oh, I turned it over today; no problems.

Maybe it was the battery after all...............
Texas Proud!