News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you guys perfer, white letters tires or no white letters?

Started by Back N Black, February 19, 2010, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I just got a new set of tires and i'm not sure if i like the white letters showing or not? what do you guys perfer?

Ghoste

I find that I like either version equally and that it depends on the rest of the car which I think looks better.

FLG

Depends on the car. Pro touring with bigger rims and more low profile tires...no. Old school cragars nice wide tires...heck yea. I won't buy tires unless they have white lettering.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

HITMAN 149

same here... it all depends on the car & whats size wheels & tires your running....
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69RT3X9

Great looking car! I just checked out your restoration pics and now I am even more impressed!

My vote would be for the white letter tires!  I think it looks cool and provides a nice contrast to black steel wheels.

I also have a triple black 69 R/T with red tail stripe.  My wheels are original 14's" with white lettered Cooper tires and the original option code W18 wheel covers (simulated magnums).  My future plans are to upgrade my wheels to 15" Magnums with red-line tires.

WHITE AND RED 69

White letters just make the tire look better on smaller wheels to me. On larger wheels though it doesnt look right.  :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Cooter

If I were going for the "NASCAR" look, then RWL tires are "ok", but on anything that I'm not trying to retro back to the late 70's, I prefer blackwall...

Racing tires with RWL on BOTH sides doesn't count..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

A383Wing

I got OWL on the Daytona & cream 66 Charger, RWL on the black 66 Charger....the other 7 cars have blackwalls

ChgrSteve67

John_Kunkel

IMHO the quickest way to ruin the looks of an otherwise beautiful car is to have RWL's showing. Kinda like a visual form of fingernails on a chalkboard.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68X426

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 20, 2010, 02:07:52 AMKinda like a visual form of fingernails on a chalkboard.

You nailed it. :lol:

I vote black. Very rarely do the letters look like they belong there.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TylerCharger69

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

resq302

Aww, hell,  I say go with white walls.   :lol:  Honestly, I have the whitewalls on the bias ply tires and for my radials, I have raised white letter BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

RWL = raised white letters
OWL = outlined white letters
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

russg

debated this myself, on my color combo with black wheels, I liked the white letter side.  Mine is no museum piece though...
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

Big Sugar

I like them Both ways...So on the left side letters showing...on the right side not.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

71ChallengeHer

oldcarnut

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2010, 08:08:26 PM
If I were going for the "NASCAR" look, then RWL tires are "ok", but on anything that I'm not trying to retro back to the late 70's, I prefer blackwall...

Racing tires with RWL on BOTH sides doesn't count..
I like the RYL  but otherwise depends on the RWL mfg. lettering style as some of them don't look so good to me.  Speaking of the NASCAR look,  I should be getting my kidney bean rims in this week and was wondering where they sell the big Goodyear paint stencils. I wish they still sold those yellow letter tires.  The white ones in the pic had a bad stencil job done on it.

BIRD67

It depends on what the lettering says; Goodyear, Firestones and BFGs look great with white letters, but I feel that the el-cheapo tires just make a cqar look..cheap.. But My favorite would still be clasic Bias Ply redlines :drool5:
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

OttawaCharger

I'm thinking RWL for your car.  But solid white, not that outlined white lettering that some tires have  :cheers:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

bull

Most guys that are about 33-56 years old like RWL tires. Younger and older, nope.