News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Work for $1600

Started by TXcharger70, February 19, 2010, 12:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

I got a quote from a guy to do the body work on the charger for $1600 he will even fix some of the rust damage that i have not got around to fix yet and have it ready for paint i believe. He will then also paint it for me for about 300 but i supply the paint i think.  Is this pretty good to have the body work and paint for at total of lets just say $2500 on the safe side?

Tilar

Hard to tell without pics of what all needs done but that sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Troy

Have you seen examples of his work before? How much block sanding is involved here? What are your expectations of the finished product? Is this just the exterior or the whole car? I'd say it sounds reasonably cheap - especially if the results are really nice.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TylerCharger69

I dunno....that seems cheap to me....Pictures would help in giving you a rock-solid answer.  And...as what was stated previously...it all depends on what your expectations are for the car.

68coronetGLwannabe

I had all the bodywork,paint and airbrush done on my 70 for $1600.00 and my 69 for $2G. They were both what I would consider nice driver quality. (I no longer have the 70). If you want more than that you might have to spend some more $.  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

hemi-hampton

All depends on what kind of quality you are expecting? Sounds cheap to me. LEON.

Silver R/T

which paint brand you'll be using?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

speedfreak68

Sounds way too cheap to me...sometimes materials can cost that much...

TylerCharger69

I dunno...for my expectations...i would say around $5,000

Patronus

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on February 20, 2010, 02:49:03 PM
I dunno...for my expectations...i would say around $5,000
:iagree:
meant to agree w/ speedfreak, that seems pretty cheap
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

adauto

..... you get what you pay for........  :popcrn:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

RCKSTR

How much bondo will he be spreading for $1600? Sounds way too cheap.. Like dropping the car off at a maaco....

TylerCharger69

lol....i was thinking Earl Shieb's....lol

Silver R/T

Quote from: RCKSTR on February 21, 2010, 12:24:36 PM
How much bondo will he be spreading for $1600? Sounds way too cheap.. Like dropping the car off at a maaco....

Bondo ain't cheap either. A gallon of good body filler will set you back $50. Of course you can get cheap crap they sell at parts stores that actually is "Bondo" for under $15

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

y3chargerrt

You will probably end up with a car that looks ok from 10 feet but will probably start to bubble up pretty quickly. If you expect show quality work you WILL be dispointed.  If you understand your the car will have to be redone in the future then you may be happy.  Just my  :Twocents:

elitecustombody

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

jaak

Quote from: speedfreak68 on February 20, 2010, 12:58:13 PM
Sounds way too cheap to me...sometimes materials can cost that much...

I think he said he had to supply the materials, I think the 1600 is labor.

BTW Paint materials are EXPENSIVE, I checked on a gallon of J6 SS Urethane , Nason brand (Duponts Cheaper line), and its $262 a gallon, just for the paint. Activator is $45 a quart, and reducer is $25/gallon. I'm sure its double (or more) that for a top of the line like Glasurit, PPG or Dupont.

Jason

bull

$1,600? Is that the cover charge?

BB1

I had my Charger prepped and painted for $1600. in 1986  :lol:

I would run.
Delete my profile

TXcharger70

This is just to do some of the body work and fix some of the rusted areas quarter panel, Window trim, sail panel. I will have to buy the paint when it gets close to paint it.

TylerCharger69

That STILL  sounds kinda cheap to me....the body work is what makes a good paint job...If the prep isn't worth a crap, then either will be the paint job.....

elitecustombody

posting pics of the car and problem areas would help

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

TXcharger70

I went to his shop last weekend to see his work and I was really surprised he does really good work and doesn't really use bondo unless he absolutely has to. Needless to say i felt really good about his work and i guess that is the the most important. I saw some of the cars he is working on it really good

TylerCharger69

well....bondo sucks....there are other types of fillers that should be used....I like polyester myself as far as skim coats.  You are talking about rusted areas in the quarter, sail panel and window trim.   How much of that area needs to be removed to totally get rid of the rust?  Just by those issues alone  is I'd say around 1600 bucks....Show us some pics, and we can give you a more accurate opinion.  Without seeing it.....we can't really give you an honest answer

TXcharger70

here are some of my problem areas

Silver R/T

I hate rust. That looks pretty bad there. I would say that would be good deal if it was just to scuff/paint type of deal but removing rust for $1600 and doing all the other body work is pretty cheap.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TXcharger70

cant post anymore pics very annoying

TylerCharger69

judging by that small of a sample you presented......i highly doubt they plan to erradicate the rust completely.  not to mention dutchman panel needs to be installed  more rust treatment underneath, and other issues around the car that we don't see....etc. etc.  1600 dollars????   keep looking...you can cover anything up and make it look good...but those issues will rear their ugly heads in not too much time at all....pay more, and have it done right!! :Twocents: