News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What extra/spare parts do you need for a road trip?

Started by Dans 68, February 19, 2010, 02:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

As MATS is getting closer and closer, I realize that for my '68's first long road trip I will need a tub of spare parts and tools. The basics, of course, in no particular order, being extra oil, coolant, ballast resister, electrical tape, duct tape, open and closed wrenches, sockets, pliers, vicegrips, hose clamps, multimeter, 12V compresser, tire gauge, mobile phone, and AAA card. What else should I pack for my '68?

The list below is courtesy of the Red River Triumph Club http://www.redrivertriumphclub.org/roadtrip.htm and is probably overkill for my Charger. Maybe it would be easier to take items off their list. What do you think?  :scratchchin:

What to Take With You
--The Unabridged List--

Tools:
  Screwdrivers: 1 long, 1 short, 1 small each of Phillips and   Flat Head
  Pliers
  Adjustable wrench
  Combination wrench set
  Spark plug socket and ratchet
  Socket set (3/8" drive)
  Lug wrench and/or knockoff hammer
  Spoke wrench
  Carb adjustment tool (SU jet wrench)
  Jack (scissors type or the one that came with your car)
  Diagonal cutters
  Pocket knife, utility knife
  Shop or Haynes manual
  Owner's manual
  General purpose oil (e.g. 3in1)
  Voltmeter with alligator clips
  12V test light
  Tire pressure gauge
  Tire air pump (12V)
  Feeler gauges
  Tow chain/strap
  Flashlight
  DeoxIT electrical contact cleaner
  Carb/choke cleaner
  Gloves - rubber/disposable/leather
  Duct tape

Repair Materials:
  Tire patch or plug kit (depending on tube or tubeless)
  WD40
  Electrical tape
  Spare 3' electrical wire (with alligator clips)
  Tire sealant
  1/2" pipe thread plug, to plug broken heater valve
  Glass cleaner for windshield
  Roll paper towels
  Empty gallon jug
  JB Weld epoxy
  Liquid/silicone gasket   Beer can for patch
  Hose clamps to hold what duct tape can't
  Duct tape

Spare Parts:
  Points, condenser
  Spark plugs
  Rubber fuel line
  Hose clamps (for fuel, radiator, and heater hoses/lines)
  Radiator and heater hose
  Fan belt
  Fuses
  Quart of water
  Premixed coolant
  1 or 2 quarts oil
  Automatic transmission fluid, if applicable
  Brake fluid (small container for brake, clutch reservoirs)
  Tie wraps (4", 6", 12")
  Bailing wire 6 ft
  Fuel filter
  Hoses
  Coil (and wire between coil and distributor)
  Distributor cap
  Spark plug wires
  Water pump
  Fuel pump (mech. replacement or electric bypass)
  Alternator/Generator
  Voltage regulator
  Battery clamps
  Brake/clutch cylinder repair kits
  Bulbs
  Wiper blades
  Duct tape
  Spare car for parts

Life Support:
  Water
  Cell phone (and list of whom to call)
  Water
  Shade/umbrella/sunscreen
  Bug repellant
  Shop rag
  Safety glasses
  Fire extinguisher
  Baby or orange wipes
  Trailer (Steve will have this   :rofl: )
  Ice chest
  Folding chair(s)
  Q-tips and black marker
  Reading material, for the waiting
  Beer, or $20 cash for beer, ice, etc.
  Duct tape
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mopar0166

70charginglizard

and you still have room for your luggage? lol

ballast resitor, distributer.

I have copies of these in the trunk in my roadside assist kit on long trips just in case. You never know.

Be sure you have that extra fuel pump thing. Thats gone out on me many times before on road trips.
70charginglizard

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

stripedelete

Make sure your lug nuts will work with the rim on the spare.....It is my experience that failure to do so can cause a bad night sleep in the parking lot of a parts store somewhere in Iowa.  

Back N Black

BrianShaughnessy

AAA card and a cell phone.

If AAA card is not available,  then substitute Visa/Mastercard. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

68blue

Lots of folding green stuff, it's accepted everywhere. :lol:

mopar0166

how about a list to check the car for operation problems before departing on a a long trip   :scratchchin:

skip68

:o   Dan, your car can't be in that bad of shape to need all that.  

coil/spark plug wire
spark plug
water
oil
a little tool kit
spare tire/jack/wrench

CASH

:2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dans 68

Quote from: skip68 on February 19, 2010, 10:14:46 AM
:o   Dan, your car can't be in that bad of shape to need all that....

Of course not. I just want to get lots of opinions on what I should carry that will preclude me having to get a tow and a room at the Bates motel and miss the fun with you guys. And I too realize that the referenced list I printed (and linked to) is for a vintage Triumph, not the most reliable touring car on the road in its day.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69charger440

I alway like to carry an extra water pump!! I have been on two trips where a water pump takes a crap on us!!!! EASY fix on the road for us Big block guys!!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Brock Samson

I have a well equipped tool box i carry with an extra set of glasses. an extra quart of oil. A fire ex tingusher (in the console) and one of those battery chargers with a built in light & air pump. Cell phone AAA card and credit card. I don't carry a spare but I do bring my mountain bike. and a lawn chair or two  :shruggy:

CB

from Mopar Action magazine

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/roadside.html
WHAT TO BRING
Whether your Mopar is a daily driver, weekend racer, or show 'n' cruise piece, unless it's trailered everywhere, at some point, it will break. Count on it. To face this situation head-on, you will, of course, need some basic hand tools. Some folks use the super-cheap Chinese, snaps-off-in-your-face stuff, but we prefer domestic brands, even for occasional use. Everybody has his or her favorite assortment, but, at a minimum, we'd include a decent flashlight, a set of combination wrenches from about 3/8" to 3/4", a like-sized set of 3/8-drive sockets with a ratchet and one or two extensions, a few screwdrivers, a small pair of pliers, a long-nose pliers, a 6" or 8" diagonal cutters, and a 10" Vise-Grip. A medium-size ball-peen hammer is a must, as is one of those 25-implement knives. In addition, two or 3 "clip leads" (3 or 4-foot lengths of approx. 18-gauge wire with alligator clips at each end) and a DMM (digital multimeter) are musts. DMMs can be had for twenty bucks or so, and, while these are certainly not lab-quality instruments, they're fine for emergencies. If you're really bucks-down, a 12-volt test lamp might get you by. One small can each of brake cleaner, ether, and WD-40, a few feet of neoprene fuel line and some clamps, a half- dozen assorted cable ties, a small spool of 16 or 18 gauge steel "bailing" wire (for wiring up exhaust, linkages, etc.) and one roll each of electrical and duct tape, and a gallon of premixed 50/50 antifreeze round out the list. Pessimists, or those with Chevy-esque mechanical aptitudes, should just pack warm clothes, bring a cell phone, and keep their hitchhiking thumb limbered up.

Of course, all the tools in the world won't help if you have no replacement parts. As we'll see, some items can be coerced to work with no parts, but, in most cases, it's gonna be out with the old, in with the new. On cars with electronic ignition, a spare ECU and ballast resistor are must-haves. Point-ignition cars should also have the ballast, and a spare set of breaker points. If you have a dual point distributor, all you'll likely need is one pair of points. And, don't leave home without whatever belts run your alternator and water pump.

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

HITMAN 149

jesus... just tow an extra charger behind it!!!!!!!!! hahahaha lmao!! :nana:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

elacruze

Road tripping in old English cars is... :slap:

Nobody mentioned jumper cables. 

Most of what you need is obvious. The problem comes when every car that stops to help is a Chevy-you need to have specialty parts particular to yours.  If you have a Q-Jet carburetor (I know we don't) you take a 18" #1 flat screwdriver and idle adjustment tool.
How many have had distributor failure? I had one on an '88 Firebird 305, but it had 130,000 miles on it...

Aside from the normal and previously mentioned, I'll be taking extra spark plug wires (headers) and a roll of 16ga. wire and electrical connector assortment and a butane soldering kit to go with that. Throw in a spare 3-position toggle switch in case you have to bypass some control.
Something rarely considered is front wheel bearings. They're easy to replace on the shoulder and don't take up any space.

I limit my hand tools to a few screwdrivers, pliers, hand wrenches to 9/16" and the few larger that are particular to something-like fuel filters-and a 1/4" drive socket set with long handled ratchet and plenty of extensions. If I need anything bigger I probably don't want to do it by the side anyway. I have a Safety-Orange overall and small tarp for staying visible, clean and hopefully dryer underneath too. A 12v or battery LED worklight is critical because nobody breaks down at 9am, right?

Something I always have is a section of 2X4; never know when you may need a wheel chock, fender pry bar, tire checker, starter solenoid tapper, or Trunk Monkey.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ChgrSteve67

My trailier isn't big enought for all of that Dan.

I know for sure the "Spare car for parts" won't fit.

I think a floor jack and creeper is missing from your list.

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 19, 2010, 11:30:24 PM
...I think a floor jack and creeper is missing from your list.

Well, if CB would have made the trip I would have had one of those covered.... :icon_smile_wink:  Now it is up to Chuck.

Seriously, I have more than enough room in my own trunk for all my junk.  :yesnod:  I just kind of figured we could try and break in the trailer.... :misbehaving:

Dan

ChgrSteve67

375instroke

Been driving pre '70 Dodges since 1988, and have never had a bad ballast, and that's what I keep hearing about going bad.

ChgrSteve67

I usually just carry some basic tools, fluids for topping off, spare tire and a cleaning kit.

For the rest AAA can tow me to town.

My other stuff in the trailier is canopys, chairs, luggage, ice chest and maybe a can of gas.

Extra room is for items I pick up at the swap meet.

CB

Quote from: elacruze on February 19, 2010, 11:09:40 PM

Nobody mentioned jumper cables. 

:2thumbs: basic tool in my trunk!

Quote from: Dans 68 on February 19, 2010, 11:41:38 PM

Well, if CB would have made the trip I would have had one of those covered.... :icon_smile_wink:  Now it is up to Chuck.

Dan

for the record, I am not laying on my back all the time
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Dans 68

Quote from: Dans 68 on February 19, 2010, 11:41:38 PM

Well, if CB would have made the trip I would have had one of those covered.... :icon_smile_wink:  Now it is up to Chuck.

Dan

for the record, I am not laying on my back all the time

Good morning, Christian! Just a slow moving joke (and now pun). http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/creeper  :nana:

Thanks for the suggestions on this thread.  :2thumbs:  We will miss you at MATS.  :'(

Dan

ChargersETC..ETC..

you might add
First Aid Kit
Tow Strap
Spare NEW! Fully Charged 12 Volt Battery
Rain Gear
Tarp
Gloves
Lots of electrical wireing and assoted terminals and wire stippers
flares or reflectors
lug wrench
jack
assorted light bulbs even a spare headlight
fan belts a compleate new set of belts
radiator hose
gps navigator
tire chains
repair manual
manual tire pump
coveralls
googles
hacksaw
fuses and relays

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on February 20, 2010, 07:00:49 AM

googles

googles ?  

I think we know where you spend most of your time.    :smilielol:

But yes I agree safety glasses or goggles

Add survival rifle or pistol with ammo to the list.
Bedding and cooking gear
Food
More Beer
Skinning knife
Fishing gear
BBQ
Kitchen Sink
soap
towels
Grease gun
Axle bearings
Mechanic

HITMAN 149

holllly crap!! you guys are scaring me!!! gee when i finally get my car on the road... i'll have to have someone follow me with a mopar trailer full of extra parts!!!!  :icon_smile_blackeye:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 20, 2010, 10:15:44 AM
Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on February 20, 2010, 07:00:49 AM

googles

googles ?  

I think we know where you spend most of your time.    :smilielol:

But yes I agree safety glasses or goggles

Add survival rifle or pistol with ammo to the list.
Bedding and cooking gear
Food
More Beer
Skinning knife
Fishing gear
BBQ
Kitchen Sink
soap
towels
Grease gun
Axle bearings
Mechanic

Now someone is just being silly....  :slap:    ;)

Dan

ChgrSteve67

Hey I'm serious about the Mechanic and Soap.

I'm going to take the 5th on the pistol.