News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lets hear about that sweet deal you passed up on a Charger

Started by xx29440charger, February 17, 2010, 10:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Me and my dad spotted a '68 sitting in a guy's backyard around 1999. At the time we were told it was a '69 R/T with a '68 front clip. The guy said his friend owned it but moved to Poland and pretty much forgotten about the car. It could of been bought for $4,000. Complete car with a bit less rust than my '69. However we had just gotten my '69 a 1/2 year earlier so we passed on it. To this day it still sits in the same yard under the same tarp however a few years ago they moved it to the side yard behind the fence. CHARGERPUNK went over and checked it out a few years ago and he said it's actually a '68 with a 383 and a bondoed in '69 tail light panel. However, I haven't seen that with my own eyes to confirm it. I was about 7 or 8 at the time me and my dad checked it out. The sad thing is the guy probally wants more money for it now and it's even more rotten. I just drove by it today in my Duster and now the front fender is exposed along with a bit of the rocker and the side of the front bumper. A '68 marker light is clearly shown. Me and my dad were just talking about it tonight and someday it will be ours.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Moeggenpar

Back in 1984 I had a chance to buy a nice 70' 500 SE. It was Vitamin C orange with a black top and black leather interior,woodgrain console,dash,etc.It had a 383 4V,pistol grip,and factory AC.The paint was in great shape and the body was straight with 44K original miles.The car was stored for 10 years and had 1974 plates on it.It had a cracked block so I passed on it.The price was $900.00! I was also getting married a few months down the road and needed money for other things.To this day,I've never seen another Charger 500 optioned like that one.In fact,it was a dead ringer for the 70' used in the "Elliott Magnum" commercial.

RD

2005: 71 Dodge Charger SE, Gold, 383/727 combo, console car, ran, little rough, hardly any rust... $800.. wanted it.. decided to let my friend have it.

2004: 73 Dodge Challenger, drag car, rolling shell (solid), $500.. wife said no.. went to a drag race 3 weeks later, saw someone else's 73 challenger running and she asked me "why dont you have one like that? I think that car is good looking."  I walked away from her.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

jaak

I thought of another (pair of cars) I could have bought....it was in '99-'00. There was a small battery shop near were my wife lived when we dated, there was always some Mopars around. Well anyways there was a Purple '69 out front, I stopped to look at it, it was a decent car, had a decent paint job, running 383 auto. all the interior was was the dash and later model buckets, nothing else. There was also a nice '72 Challenger, very nice driver, black/black interior, 318/Auto.... the guy wanted to sell them as a pair...6K for both!!! All I wanted was the charger, so I passed.
Yep, Im officially a dumb-ass :brickwall:

Jason

paironines

Maybe 6 yrs ago a local guy was parting out a 70 V-code orange 70 Charger and I could've bought the body, seats, dash for about $2000. I passed cause it was terribly rusty.  I sometimes wonder if I could have saved it....???

1970Moparmann

I had my 69 RT that needed to be restored, and was at a Chicagoland Mopar event.  I had a couple people come up to me asking if I would sell it, I said no.  A couple hours later, In the car corral there was a 70 V-code for sale for $11k.  I looked like hell to find the two people that came up to me earlier, an no dice.   This was around 1998. 

Love the stories. :popcrn: :popcrn:

I purchased my 72 Chally from a kid that was going to Iraq for his 3rd tour.  I tried to convince him to keep it, since he got married with that car, had his two kids with the car, but he wouldn't say no.  He didn't want his wife to deal with the car in case something happened.  Even though I got it for a steal, I told him that I will keep it and when he wants it back whatever I have in it, he can buy it back. 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

jeryst

About 5 years ago, I saw an ad in the local car rag for a 69 Charger for $2500. I called from work, but got no answer. I used reverse phone lookup to see if I could find the address, and discovered that it was only about 10 minutes from where I worked. So after work, I headed out to look for the address. It was in a posh housing development with huge, high-dollar homes. When I got to the address, there was a beautiful 69 dark green 440 Charger R/T sitting there. It was immaculate. I went up to the door and a lady answered. She said that it was her husbands car, and that it had been sitting in the garage for over 30 years, and he got tired of moving around it. Some guy came out the night before, and bought it.

Guy must have been a lawyer, or doctor, or something, and didnt keep up with the car scene. Sold it for $2500 as advertised.

Interesting note: The car rag only came out that morning, so the car had to be bought by someone that had access to it before it hit the shelves.
Probably someone that worked for the rag, or someone that delivered it.

Black Charger

Back in 1991 I saw a 1973 Charger sitting in front of a flower shop with a for sale sign on it. The car had definitely seen better days, but it was complete, running and actually driveable. It had a 318 with auto, and it was metallic brown with a tan vinyl top and brown interior. I went inside the shop to ask how much, and the price was $300. It was driven for years by the owner's son, and I actually remembered seeing it around town when it was in better condition. I had the money to buy the car and was ready to fork over the cash, but my Dad went back with me to look at the car, and he told me it was a pile of junk and to forget it. Since I was still living at home at the time (just out of high school the year before), I had to respect his wishes. I still think about that car sometimes, as it was one that came without the opera windows that seem to be so common with '73 Chargers.

Two years later, a 1973 Challenger wound up at a local Buick dealership as a trade-in. It was definitely in need of a total restoration but it was also driveable. It had an amateur-looking lemon twist yellow paint job on it and it had a 318 with auto. The dealer wanted $1000, so I sold off some music gear I had to raise the funds (namely a vintage Marshall amp). By the time I got back to the dealer a few weeks later, the car was gone. After learning a little more about vintage Mopars, I discovered it was a Challenger Rallye (it had the twin scooped hood and louvers on the front fenders). I found out that the dealer sold it for $500 just to get rid of it. I never did find out who got it or where it went.

scatpack69

I could have traded a 70 R/T lime green Charger I had almost finished redoing, for an original General Lee. I passed because the Lee was as used and not in best shape. My R/T was a really crappy resto. this was back in 95