News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Almost got suckered into 71 "Superbee" Taillights.

Started by ACUDANUT, February 18, 2010, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

It's funny and deceptive at the same time. They are the same taillights as PLAIN 71 Charger taillights.  :slap:
I know I am not the first to fall for this.

Ghoste

Type in Hemi on e-bay and see how many listings are for things like "Hemi fuel filters" or "Hemi brake lines" or "Hemi door handles" etc.
You are right, it's deceptive but I don't find anything funny about it.

hemi68charger

Superbee taillamps are NOT like the R/T's.......
Reference thanks to Johnny's 71Superbee site.

Superbee

R/T ( my former R/T )

Attached, standard Charger
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ACUDANUT

Yep, Superbee tailights are The same as a reg 71 Charger.

last426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 18, 2010, 02:55:21 PM

Unless you have colored bumpers then they are like r/ts.

G-man

I must say the RT ones look the best. Nice white Charger!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: last426 on February 18, 2010, 03:48:10 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 18, 2010, 02:55:21 PM

Unless you have colored bumpers then they are like r/ts.

NOT EVEN CLOSE

JohnnyBee

Standard bumpers did get the standard lights, but if you did order get the "Urethane painted bumper package", you did get the louvered taillights like the RT.

Hemidoug

The funny thing is they put the R/T lights on 500s in 71....So if you ever see a set of 71 500 TL for sale snap 'em up.  :D
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

ACUDANUT

Well, I must say..I did not know about colored bumpers getting R/T tailights. But, let's face it. We are talking about maybe 5% of those.  :Twocents: :shruggy: 

Hemidoug

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

TylerCharger69

I like the R/T taillights the best.....just my preference

ACUDANUT

JPL

hemi68charger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 18, 2010, 06:58:51 PM
Well, I must say..I did not know about colored bumpers getting R/T tailights. But, let's face it. We are talking about maybe 5% of those.  :Twocents: :shruggy: 

Yeap.. that's the case. An original Elastomeric bumper '71 Superbee got the louvered taillamps. I won't call them "R/T" taillamps since 500's got them too and they were on the '72 Rallye Chargers. Believe as well they were only offered with High-Impact colors. One green Hemi-'71 Charger R/T is the expection from what I know

COLORED BUMPER GROUP* CODE A54
(NA w/CONCEALED HEADLAMPS)

* Front & Rear Colored Bumpers
    * Black Painted Grille (Std R/T & Super Bee)
    * Louvered Taillights (Std 500 & R/T)
   $21.40
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

ipstrategies

I like them both but think the standard 71 are the best of the 3rd gens - excluding the rt version
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

71charger_fan

"suckered" implies misrepresentation. If they were advertised as Superbee taillights, I don't see where there was anything to fall for unless at some point the seller stated they were the same as R/T-500 items.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 71charger_fan on February 19, 2010, 12:58:05 PM
"suckered" implies misrepresentation. If they were advertised as Superbee taillights, I don't see where there was anything to fall for unless at some point the seller stated they were the same as R/T-500 items.

Yeap.. It's like when I go to swap meets and see people selling "'69 Charger 500" grilles for righteous bucks. Then I inform them that the NOS grille they have that's NOT painted black is a standard Coronet grille, nothing "special"........   :icon_smile_big:

Granted, if you find a real nice '68 Coronet grille, get it for your '69 C500's. If it isn't painted black, paint it black.......   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

FJMG

Let's not forget the "special" daytona front park lamps that came with all the valiants.

last426

71383bee

Yep...

Colored bumpers got the louvers.  There are 2 different finishes.  R/T, and 500 got an argent finish with black on certain surfaces and bumper group cars and 72 rallyes got a satin black type of finish.

My car is originally a chrome bumper car...I like the louvers A LOT better.  It changes the character of the whole car IMHO

Original...

Correct for bumper Group...

Now I guess the real questions is...did you apologize to who ever you blasted for not having the right lights?    :pity:
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

hemi68charger

Quote from: 71383bee on February 20, 2010, 12:56:16 PM

Now I guess the real questions is...did you apologize to who ever you blasted for not having the right lights?    :pity:

Yeap..    ;D    Just remember, we all love our cars and we should make them the way we want to.. I'll probably get blasted for changing the future '69 C500 from an auto to a 4-speed,, but heck... That's what I want..   :icon_smile_big:

ENJOY !!!!!!
Troy