News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger

Started by Darkman, February 17, 2010, 11:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger´69

Quote from: Darkman on June 03, 2010, 06:15:03 PM
Don't worry guys! The more I look at the 68's, the more I dislike the 69's   :nana: :rofl:

It will stay a 68 front and back (minus the side marker lights, door/trunk locks and wheel arch trim). The vinyl roof will go and the trim around the sails panel too. Shaved bumpers (thought about shaving the door handles but decided they will stay). Already have the round LED brake lights for it as the original ones have melted and the centre bit has sagged. 17 inch rims up font, 18 inch at the back, deep dish type rims (most likely a 5 spoke type of rim), and as low as legally possible. Disc brakes front and back.

Inside will be a different story though - converted to right hand drive, custom dash panel (most likely with digital guages), original AC will go and replaced with under dash unit (due to the RHD conversion), under dash brake boosters, Holden Commodore fully electric front bucket seats (leather), rear seat upholstered in leather to match front, restored centre console, new carpet, custom door trim with power windows, decent (not crazy) custom stereo, central locking, tinted windows. I'm also messing around with the idea of paddle shift on the steering wheel for the transmission and putting in retractable seat belts front and back.

Colour will be a whole different story though. Still undecided. I would like either a darker metallic blue with a purple pearl to it, black with a purple pearl to it, or a deep plum crazy purple. I saw a plum crazy plymouth GTX clone that had reflected different shades of purple in different angles of light. It looked insane. I'm not sure if that was a standard Plum Crazy or a slightly altered mix. It will be a 2 stage paint job though

Interesting project indeed  :2thumbs:

But two things that I don´t understand why.. First, how are you going to shave bumpers? Do you take them off or just modify those? And second, why you want to put digital gauges to old classic car?  :scratchchin: I love those old school gauges and I wouldn´t even think to upgrade those to something what is used in Toyota Prius etc.  :o

I think that you should build your car just the way you want it because it´s your´s Charger, but there is some things that I don´t understand at all that why you´re going to do those things  :scratchchin: :icon_smile_big:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Darkman

You can get digital guages that look old school. That decision will be made when the conversion is done. Either way, I will be converting the speedo from mph to kmh so the guages are going either way. This car will be driven regularly (almost a daily driver) and I don't want to be thinking about converting mph to kmh and I want to be comfortable. To register this car on the road in South Australia in left hand drive, it needs to be restored to full original. No offence to those with original Chargers, but I don't want another Charger that looks the same as everyone elses! I can do what I want to it if it is converted, hence my decision. IMO, if you restore the car to original, then donate it to a motor museum and don't drive it. I want this car to be driven and noticed, appreciated for what it is and what I have done to it. My tastes are different to yours and I will do to the car what appeals to me and not the general opinion of others (sorry again if this offends), although advice from members here will be considered. If some do not like what I am doing, then I would prefer and appreciate if they don't post questioning/attacking what I am doing. I do not want to be made to feel guilty because I haven't done a complete resto. The car will be new from ground up and be driven as it was intended. As I said, apart from the rims, from the outside, the car will look like a 1968 Dodge Charger. Who's going to see inside the car when I'm driving it anyway?

What I meant about shaving the bumpers is removing the bolts from the out side so that they are nice and smooth
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Charger´69

Sounds very cool project  :2thumbs:

Don´t understand me wrong, I was just interested to know how you have planned to build your car, I like everything what is different because original museum cars is seen already  :cheers:

Do it like you want to, this project is something that I´m going to follow with big interest  :2thumbs:

Oh, and I was thinking first that you´re going to put that kind of digital gauges to it like K.I.T.T. had in 80´s  :o :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: Those would be cool if those look like old school and still are digital  :2thumbs:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Darkman

Thanks for your input. Believe me I know the difference between genuine questions and people just being difficult, but I thought I would just clarify my position before I go further  :yesnod:. Charger Steve has these guages in his 67 Charger. They use the original bezels and look fantastic (this is the post http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19711.msg775910.html#msg775910).

It will be a long process (as most of you already know), but one that I am eager to commence.

My car will look very similar to this (kcederwall08's Charger) (from the outside) but most likely Plum Crazy or a derivative of.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.msg790502.html#msg790502

Bob T

gidday Darkman, well done finding a 68 and getting it over, what happened to the 68R/T you were chasing earlier? too rusty or too much dough?
Much as I can appreciate an owner wanting to personalise their own car with high tech, I like my 68 low tech factory  :icon_smile_big:

:cheers: Kiwi Bob T 
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

PocketThunder

Can you post up a picture of this car you bought Darkman?   :scratchchin:

Read thru this thread.  A few of the modifications you mentioned are done to this members car.   :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19141.0.html

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Darkman

Quote from: Bob T on June 04, 2010, 05:56:21 AM
gidday Darkman, well done finding a 68 and getting it over, what happened to the 68R/T you were chasing earlier? too rusty or too much dough?
Much as I can appreciate an owner wanting to personalise their own car with high tech, I like my 68 low tech factory  :icon_smile_big:

:cheers: Kiwi Bob T 

Felt guilty in hacking up an R/T. Plus the R/T needed more body work

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 04, 2010, 11:33:17 AM
Can you post up a picture of this car you bought Darkman?   :scratchchin:

Darkman

Well I have returned from my road trip, 15 hours each way. I also returned with an empty trailer! The car was far too rusted for the price (which was way too much) and needed more work than suggested. Below is the add of the car (I added the TRUTH to it)

QuoteThis Charger is better than it looks and is a genuine Black Plate Californian Charger not a back east hillbilly rust bucket (probably a west hillbilly rust bucket). Charger has all original panels and has never had a major accident (bull, the rear driver's quarter was cut an replaced, badly, and about 10mm layer of bog all over the panel. The trunk floor was not fixed either so it didn't match the rear panel). Interior floors are excellent except for passenger front which has rust probably due to heater core leak (need new floor section). Trunk floor has rust but no major holes (no major holes, but LOYS and LOT of little holes so a new trunk floor is needed). Left hand quarter has had a repair and right hand quarter needs a patch due to rust (and has a big dent so a new quarter is needed). Very solid bodied Charger which has never been repainted in jambs or trunk. Under the hood it is all original except for wrong booster and master cyclinder. Options include factory air conditioning with all A/C components under dash complete.. Charger also has power steering and bucket seats and centre console. Windows are tinted glass. Note under the mexican upholstery still reside the original bucket seats. Engine and trans are missing but there are a few items in the boot that belong to this car -- Inlet manifold, exhaust manifolds, water pump, tailshaft and heads.
Best value restorer Charger in Aus ($17,000 NO WAY is it best value).

Note this Charger is a triple red car -- Red exterior paint, red interior and red Vinyl top (the red vinyl top makes this only one of four made with a red vinyl top) Not true, Dodge Chargers never came out with red vinyl and the Fender Tag stated it was a black vinyl roof

I was glad that I used my experience and not emotion to walk away from this. It was in far worse condition that stated so I didn't take it and got my money back.

I will now source one direct from the US and import it myself.

Anyone know where I can get a 383 auto 68 Charger for about $12 000 in OK condition?

Sorry Dan68, I can't get those plates for you

charger Downunder

Hey darkman talk to g_man about his red 68 and its in Australia.
[/quote]

Darkman

I messaged ages ago about it, but I never got a reply

doctor4766

G'day mate.
That Charger looks like it was from Russell at Just Mustangs.
I bought my '69 from him and actually found his description to be less than factual ie it was a better car than he made it out to be (no rust... that's right, zero)
There have been a couple of project Chargers on ebay here lately.. you might wanna check them out
Alternately there are usually a couple registered cars on the bay at any given time but they're often priced in the 40k bracket.ALthough you prolly know that already.
SA rego laws seem to be very sucky when it comes to LHD/RHD
Makes me glad to be in WA
Good luck in finding a car and all the best in your venture. It'll be worth it
Gotta love a '69

Darkman

You are spot on. It was from Russell at Just Mustangs! I'm sure I will find something very soon for the money I have. I will need just a little help that's all

doctor4766

Just out of interest I had one of the vendors in the US make me a KMH gauge overlay for my Charger.
Cost me an extra 60 clams at the time for them to custom make it but now they offer MPH and KMH overlays with their kits.
Gotta love a '69

Bob T

Quote from: Darkman on June 14, 2010, 02:52:29 AM
Well I have returned from my road trip, 15 hours each way. I also returned with an empty trailer! The car was far too rusted for the price (which was way too much) and needed more work than suggested. Below is the add of the car (I added the TRUTH to it)

I was glad that I used my experience and not emotion to walk away from this. It was in far worse condition that stated so I didn't take it and got my money back.

I will now source one direct from the US and import it myself.

Anyone know where I can get a 383 auto 68 Charger for about $12 000 in OK condition?

Sorry Dan68, I can't get those plates for you

Geeez what a pile of "restorers dream " , 15 hours each way, man you must have been ropeable with his description. well done for walking, bide your time, you will do much better in the long run.

Good luck on the hunt .

Cheers Bob T
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

68r/t

I looked at a couple of Chargers that Russel had and they were very overstated on there condition, the guy is full of it,,,,

Darkman

I would like to give JB666 a big thanks in this as I have been reading his thread about his GL. I drove 15 hours to get there and didn't want to leave with an empty trailer, but then thought of jeff's battle and burid my emotions.

The worst part of it, is tha Russell thinks he will sell that quickly....I hope for his sake, he does.

Dans 68

Quote from: Darkman on June 14, 2010, 02:52:29 AM
Well I have returned from my road trip, 15 hours each way. I also returned with an empty trailer! The car was far too rusted for the price (which was way too much) and needed more work than suggested...

Sorry you drove all that way but I'm very happy you didn't get it. That took a lot of strength to turn down...I know. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35861.msg392695.html#msg392695

Quote from: Darkman on June 14, 2010, 02:52:29 AM...Sorry Dans68, I can't get those plates for you

No worries, mate! We'll keep looking for you. :cheers:

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Darkman

Should the VIN number on the dash plate match the one on the Fender Tag. I'm sure it should, but this one didn't and he couldn't give me a straight answer about it

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

Dans 68

Quote from: Darkman on June 14, 2010, 06:39:26 PM
Should the VIN number on the dash plate match the one on the Fender Tag. I'm sure it should, but this one didn't and he couldn't give me a straight answer about it

Are you talking about a '68? Then no. On a '68 the fender tag contains the S.O. number (shipping order) and has nothing to do with the VIN. On '69 and up the fender tag matches the dash VIN.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

doctor4766

If there are two XP29 numbers on the car they should match though right?
Gotta love a '69

Dans 68

Yes they should.

Dan

Darkman

Well, I strongly believe that things happen for a reason! I have just finished discussing what "I want" regarding a 68 Charger and my budget with a US based Aussie car importer and he has already found me a couple of contenders!

For the money I was going to spend on the red rust bucket posted earlier in this thread, I will get a decent driver shipped to my door (and by the looks of it a lot sooner than I thought too). I will post up the pictures of it once the transaction is complete.  :woohoo:

Dans 68

Darkman

Another 68 Charger leaving US soil.....

We (my US agent and I) put in an offer on a 68 Charger (was a 318 but now has a 383, 727 auto and 8&3/4 rear, so not a rare car) and it was accepted!  :woohoo:

The funds are being transferred as we speak (or write) and it will be heading to LA to be loaded and shipped to The sunny desert of Central Australia (via Adelaide)!

It is not a mint condition car, it has a few minor problems but at least it is complete and with no great effort will be ready for the road.

Pics soon!

PS: Sorry Dans 68, it is not from Cali and doesn't have black plates  ;D