News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Price gauge for 8 3/4 chunk rebuild?

Started by terrible one, February 15, 2010, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Is there anyone here that has rebuilt their own differential for an 8 3/4 or can at least provide me with some pricing information? I bought my chunk used and it looked pretty nice and seemed all good,but I could tell it had been apart before and just have a hard time not wondering about it. I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know how it functions, but I am currently in drivetrain class here at school and have the chance to bring in a project; the perfect time to go through this thing. 

So, before I even think about pulling out of the car, I need to know what I should be looking to spend on parts for this thing? If its not in budget i'm just going to have to let it be and hope for the best. It is a clutch-type suregrip unit in a 741 case with 3.55 gears. There is some pitting on the gears so I know I would probably be smart to replace the ring and pinion. Other than that I don't even know what would be normal to replace. Bearings? Clutches?

If anyone can give me an estimate on what I'll spend to get all the parts for this thing it would really help me out!

Troy

I've never built one myself but check here for prices:
http://www.doctordiff.com/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Well, if one cannot/will not dive into the Sure Grip units that are rebuildable (I HAVE rebuilt the old "Cone load" type myself with the help of a brake lathe), one will have to pay labor...

By the time you buy all the bearings, Clutches, Ring and pinion if needed (Gear change), any hard parts (Spider gears), you can dump anywhere from $400-$1000 when labor costs get involved....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68chargerboy

Quote from: terrible one on February 15, 2010, 04:16:05 PM

Is there anyone here that has rebuilt their own differential for an 8 3/4 or can at least provide me with some pricing information? I bought my chunk used and it looked pretty nice and seemed all good,but I could tell it had been apart before and just have a hard time not wondering about it. I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know how it functions, but I am currently in drivetrain class here at school and have the chance to bring in a project; the perfect time to go through this thing. 

So, before I even think about pulling out of the car, I need to know what I should be looking to spend on parts for this thing? If its not in budget i'm just going to have to let it be and hope for the best. It is a clutch-type suregrip unit in a 741 case with 3.55 gears. There is some pitting on the gears so I know I would probably be smart to replace the ring and pinion. Other than that I don't even know what would be normal to replace. Bearings? Clutches?

where are you located?

Zach
If anyone can give me an estimate on what I'll spend to get all the parts for this thing it would really help me out!

bigbluedodge

I did one for my Charger. It cost $210 for the ring and pinion and $100 for the kit from Richmond to put it together.
I don't know about overhauling the suregrip, it may not need it. The kit comes with everything you need, even a tube of ink for checking the tooth engagement.  I also would recommend contacting doctor diff, at least for parts and advice.

terrible one

Everyone, please read . . . I am going to be rebuilding it myself. All machining, etc. and any other special tools and knowledge are available at the school. I'm looking to get an idea for what I will have to spend on parts alone.

terrible one

Quote from: bigbluedodge on February 15, 2010, 07:49:38 PM
I did one for my Charger. It cost $210 for the ring and pinion and $100 for the kit from Richmond to put it together.
I don't know about overhauling the suregrip, it may not need it. The kit comes with everything you need, even a tube of ink for checking the tooth engagement.  I also would recommend contacting doctor diff, at least for parts and advice.

That's what I'm looking for, thanks man. Did the kit from Richmond come with the necessary bearings, etc.?

If I can mimic you it looks like I'll be in for a bit under $300 for both the ring&pinion (found for $175 on the link Troy posted) and the rebuild kit. Looking more on the parts sites it looks like, if I don't need spider gears, etc. the only other thing that may be needed is a new clutch pack for it for $40 . . .

Wow that gets pretty expensive, especially if I had to pay labor costs.

68chargerboy

sorry didnt see that, where do you go to school?

terrible one

Quote from: 68chargerboy on February 15, 2010, 08:55:16 PM

Haha it's all good, I can't say anything because I didn't see where you asked that the first time! I'm at McPherson College in McPherson, KS.

-J

68chargerboy

ive heard of it, i just got done with my drivetrains class at southern illinois universitys auto program

speedfreak68

Quote from: terrible one on February 15, 2010, 08:57:29 PM

Haha it's all good, I can't say anything because I didn't see where you asked that the first time! I'm at McPherson College in McPherson, KS.

-J

What!!!??? Who are you?? Im here too. I thought I was like the only charger guy here!!

terrible one

Quote from: 68chargerboy on February 15, 2010, 09:01:23 PM
ive heard of it, i just got done with my drivetrains class at southern illinois universitys auto program

Ah right on man.  :2thumbs: There's nothing like going to school and actually enjoying all of it!

terrible one

Quote from: speedfreak68 on February 16, 2010, 10:40:28 AM

-J

What!!!??? Who are you?? Im here too. I thought I was like the only charger guy here!!

Haha holy shit man you just rocked my world! Try finding a Mopar guy around school let alone another Charger fan! I just started my second semester here. What year are you? Do you have your Charger here at Mustang or something? You've got to show me some pictures!

Here's one of mine from a while back before moving up here, not much has changed aside from engine/transmission/exhaust being installed.

speedfreak68

Quote from: terrible one on February 16, 2010, 08:25:12 PM
Quote from: speedfreak68 on February 16, 2010, 10:40:28 AM

-J

Haha holy shit man you just rocked my world! Try finding a Mopar guy around school let alone another Charger fan! I just started my second semester here. What year are you? Do you have your Charger here at Mustang or something? You've got to show me some pictures!

Here's one of mine from a while back before moving up here, not much has changed aside from engine/transmission/exhaust being installed.

I'm a senior this year, after my spring semester i'm done!!  :2thumbs: do you have your car up here? I'm from wilson KS so I keep my car there and just go home to work on it.
here's a link to my build  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63123.0.html  I haven't really had time to update it so its changed a little.

terrible one

Ah right on man, hate that our stints at school don't overlap more. Oh well. My car is up here in my small ass garage . . . I'm renting a house in town.

Very nice 68 you've got there! I don't know how I missed that thread. I wondered about those frames after seeing one on Ebay . . . it looks great!

BTW if you are ever looking to get rid of those slots Ive got a buddy who's been hunting for a set in Dodge pattern.

ACUDANUT