News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I'm happy that electric cars are finally available to those who want them, for whatever the reason. I bought Alcoa and General Electric stock.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1969chargerrtse

So gas is going above 3.00.  One of my biggest points against the nay sayers was wait until gas goes up again and see how you feel about a car that can get over 100.00 mpg.  I asked the wife last night if she would consider selling our Honda Pilot to get a Volt and she reminded me how the Pilot holds eight, we are a family of 5, and the Volt holds 4.  So the answer was no, but I tried.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

I still feel the same.  Happy that they're exploring other technologies, but I also think a lot of the hype right now is just smoke and mirrors to get good press.  This will keep the greens off their backs and hopefully get more people to buy the gas powered trucks and cars that are actually profitable. 
So to further answer the question, I'm not the least bit interested in buying a Volt or any of the other street legal golf carts right now.  Then again, I'm not much of a Honda fan either.  :shruggy:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  I wonder if with a name like "Charger" they will ever get some sort of electric drivetrain?..
Just imagine the fits Bull could have with that!  :D

Chargerrtforme

Car sounds great to me. I don't wanna hear about politics, show me the mpg!!

Brock Samson

1969chargerrtse

Awesome news!!

Posted: Dec. 14, 2010 | Updated: 6:54 p.m. Dec. 14, 2010
Second Chevy Volt auctions for $225,000
By GREG GARDNER
Free Press Business Writer

Fueled by last minute bidding, General Motors raised $225,000 for Detroit Public Schools by auctioning the second Chevrolet Volt built at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

The automaker kept the first Volt for display at the GM Heritage Museum.

Bidding opened on Nov. 30 at $50,000 and appeared to stop at $185,000 on Dec. 3 with no competing bid offered until 5:43 p.m. Tuesday, 17 minutes before the auction's 6 p.m. deadline GM will not reveal the winning bidder until a GM event Thursday night. The price shot from $185,000 to $225,000 in a frantic down-to-the-wire exchange between two people with screen names "Volter" and "ChargeOn," with the latter submitting the winning bid just 14 seconds before the deadline.

The auctioned car features a Viridian Joule Tricoat exterior and a Light Neutral with Dark Accents interior along with the Premium Trim Package and other amenities. The donated package includes a 240-volt charging station and installation.

Contact Greg Gardner: 313-222-8762 or ggardner99@freepress.com

Read more: Second Chevy Volt auctions for $225,000 | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101214/BUSINESS0101/101214043/Second-Chevy-Volt-auctions-for-225-000#ixzz18EYlTlZ6
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Silver R/T

How long do you have to charge it for? Electric energy is expensive around here so if I have to pay additional $$ for electricity then I probably wouldn't be saving that much $$
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 15, 2010, 07:32:13 PM
How long do you have to charge it for? Electric energy is expensive around here so if I have to pay additional $$ for electricity then I probably wouldn't be saving that much $$
I don't remember the exact conversion, but it was something like 7 cents a mile when plugged in compared to .30 something for gas.  There's no way it would not be a cost savings anywhere in the US running off the power grid compared to the rising cost of gas per mile. No way.  That was the whole point of building the car.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2010, 09:06:42 PM
It's already the subject of a book.
http://www.qbookshop.com/products/149684/9780760338933/Chevrolet-Volt.html?utm_source=constantcontact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gift120710-Transportation
That's amazing, and my whole point of the car was about how we are finally taking a different step towards independence from people that sell fossil fuel and want us dead.  
Few saw that as they were to busy trying to come up with thoughts of why it won't work? It works.  It's here and we as Americans should be proud.  :patriot:
Oh say can you seeeee...........    :thumbup:

Silver R/T

I hope it sells and sells very well. That way US consumer will buy American made cars again vs Japs. Our economy might have a change for good once again.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargerboy69

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 17, 2010, 01:04:46 PM
I hope it sells and sells very well. That way US consumer will buy American made cars again vs Japs. Our economy might have a change for good once again.

It should.  The Government. . I mean us, as taxpayers are paying for 25 percent of each vehicle sold. I know I would want a different car if I knew one of my fellow citizens were forced to pay for a good chunk of it.  :insertsarcasm:  Ahh I love the free market system.  ::)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Silver R/T

Only thing is it's not AWD, otherwise I'm sold. Living in WA you need some type of AWD/4x4 vehicle, at least one per family.
Too bad it's 10K more than Prius. If they really want to sell them they need competitive price.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 17, 2010, 01:35:31 PM
Only thing is it's not AWD, otherwise I'm sold. Living in WA you need some type of AWD/4x4 vehicle, at least one per family.
Too bad it's 10K more than Prius. If they really want to sell them they need competitive price.
It's so much more car than a Prius.  They aren't even close in anyway to compare.  Go to the Chevy site and study up on it.  Apples and Oranges by far.

Silver R/T

I know, try explaining that one to a Toyota lover. Prius just looks ugly imo but 'greenies' don't care about looks, they'll keep on driving their "smart" car, prius, etc.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 17, 2010, 10:24:16 PM
I know, try explaining that one to a Toyota lover. Prius just looks ugly imo but 'greenies' don't care about looks, they'll keep on driving their "smart" car, prius, etc.
The main points I'm comparing is the Prius is a gas powered car that uses the electric motors just at first at very low speeds than the gas engine takes over and it's powered by pistons.  The Volt is all electric and gas free up to 40 miles, and then after that the gas engine fires up but runs a generator that allows the car to still be all electric.  The Volt is not a Hybrid, but an all electric car that never runs out of electricity as the generator supplies the electric power.
I don't get into the greenie thing.  I could care less about the Government loan, It's a new cool car with FINALLY a different way to power it and It'll open many more creative ideas from other companies as they Battle to build something better.  We all reap the rewards.  Also to me the more high tech cars get, the cooler our old Muscle cars will be.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ACUDANUT

Yes, and what is sad is that our own members here are shoving it down our throats...Conspiracy against the DC.com :stirthepot: Go green and ride a Horse.  :smilielol:

Ghoste

A different way to power it?  The electric car came into being the same time the internal combustion powered ones did.  They died then for the very same reason that this one could very well perish, expensive to buy, heavy, limited range and useability.  The Volt is more money for one reason because it utilizes a different sort of battery than the Pious.  The Pious makers have quickly jumped onto the technology though and are already testing a plug in Pious of their own to release sometime next year.  I applaud the efforts to find new ways to keep our world on wheels but lets not pop the champagne corks yet.  The fad is in it's infancy and is still being driven far more by government decree and public relations exercises than it is the free market.  If these things take over and we all start driving them and they are still around in five or ten years then maybe it could be something to get all hot and bothered about.
Of course, if they do take over the market, then we will still be arguing about energy because as soon as the world switches to plugging in their cars all the time the greens will start doing their utmost to kill off affordable electricity (which is already too often tax subsidized -wind and solar as a quick example).  They'll be closing all the coal and nuke plants and the rates will skyrocket and blah blah blah the more things change the more they stay the same.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1969chargerrtse

It's all good.  My main goal is to be less reliant from people that hate me for being an American.  Funding them to hurt me sucks.

mauve66

too bad the time line didn't show how they bought (not just fixed a recall)  all those vehicles back that one year they were leasing them due to problems, wonder which landfill all those lead acid batteries went into
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

tricky lugnuts

Yeah, that and too bad nobody's buying one:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132515106

They sold what 250-350 Volts in December - whoa, I gotta hold onto my butt because I'm feeling such a huge "wave of change."  :shruggy:

And these pathetic sales, despite an alleged list of 50,000 people supposedly waiting to buy one???

What gives???

69chargerrtse was all yee-haw a couple months ago about GM rehiring 1,000 people saying what a great thing the Volt was doing for all of us . . . How production of the Volt was singlehandedly going to pull the U.S. out of a 30-year decline.

I'm not trying to be too mean here, but weren't you singing, Oh say can you see? A new national anthem inspired by the "patriotic" Chevy Volt?

Seriously dude, I hope you're getting paid, cause you are one hell of a fan boy for a Charger forum.

No one, let me repeat that, no one without ridiculous amounts of disposable income, is going to buy a $41,000 feel-good car (that doesn't really feel that good) until the national unemployment rate falls below 10 percent at least, and the average American stops believing the economy is two months away at most from another freaking depression.

That, and nobody is going to shell out that kind of coin until gasoline prices are up and stay up for good. Like everyone has said over and over and over, the electric car is older than the gasoline powered car.

It lost back then - for the same reason it could lose again now.

Seriously, Volt fans, if you really want to see people buy Volts, and if you really want to witness the glorious future of electric vehicles, complete with a smart grid, which seems to be the case here, tell your congressman to put a new $5 per gallon federal tax on gasoline.

Otherwise, you don't really want to do $HI% to promote electric cars. Because making gasoline more expensive is the only, I repeat the only, thing that this Volt and others like it can hope for to survive.

And spare me the BS about our "oil addiction" funding all of these people who hate us. You sound like such a repentant Puritan.

Besides, it's wrong, unless your saying Canada and Mexico and Venezuela really hate us that much.

And if you want to stop buying oil from the Middle East, read- Saudi Arabia - which I sense is what you're trying to say - start walking somewhere. Stop driving your Charger. Ride a bus. Take your bike. Get a hang-glider. Buy a camel. There's lots of options, and plenty of that evil Middle East Oil is getting burned up just to mine and build these Volts.