News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 19, 2010, 05:58:21 AM
Quote from: bull on November 19, 2010, 12:17:15 AM
All this hype and excitement over electric and hybrid cars and still no one sufficiently addresses the big issues. How much more time, energy and fuel goes into the battery production which is added to the time, energy and fuel that goes into making the car itself? The car itself costs as much as any other car to produce but then you add to that the environmental, financial and diesel fuel costs of battery production and it looks a lot less efficient. Although lithium-ion batteries are said to have no contaminants, certain elements used in the batteries still must be collected through mining (carbons and oxides among others) which when added to the already-huge production of lithium-ion for cameras, laptops, cordless tools, etc., compounds the production and disposal issues more. And I have to wonder how many points on the globe these elements visit prior to making their way into the Volt.

The plug-in electricity is still produced mainly by the burning of coal and hydroelectric energy from dams. No doubt that demand will increase. In all, it seems like a convoluted solution to a problem that could be solved more simply by perfecting the proven technologies at hand. IMO we've only scratched the surface of the potential in diesel engines (Google Helen and John Taylor). The Volt might be a decent short-term answer but I'm not completely convinced of that. I believe it is better than the nickel-metal hydride in the Prius though, which itself could create a disposal nightmare when they start failing.

To me it's all about cost per mpg.  If I can run all the errands I run for the family and just plug it in and that cost is much much less per kw than gallon, I'm flippin thrilled.  Cars will move on to Hydrogen, etc in the future.  The excitement is that the Volt is the first step in a long time for a new direction.  Again, if gas was 5.00 a gallon there would be a huge waiting list like there was for the loud smelly VW diesel Rabbit.
MPG.  That's all I care about.  This 8 mpg with the Charger is killing me.   :RantExplode: :icon_smile_wink:

so even if the production of the batteries and the disposal of the batteries 30 years from now leads to a epa nightmare (similar to what those new light bulbs with mercury in them will do) its ok as long as you get better mpg????
thats what all the states that did nuclear plants said when they built them for energy, now, no one wants the spent fuel rods in "their" state, lets ship them to someone elses state to make them pay for our problems.  then the government says, hmmmmmm, lots of voters in this state, not very many in that state, hmmmmmmmm, sounds good to me....................................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bull

That's my point too. It's all about the here and now with these people where the ends justify the means when it comes to our reliance on foreign oil. As long as the mess to create and dispose of these cars is made in someone else's back yard we're ok with it. The jist of it is these cars are not the environmental savior they're being sold as. In fact I would contend that over the life of the car they are probably more harmful to your pocket book and the environment than a Jetta, Yaris or any other common-fuel high mpg car. I'm sure you've heard the carbon footprint comparison between the Prius and the Hummer.

Brock Samson

What's wrong with recycling old cars,.. instead of the material energy and pollution costs associated with the production of millions of new ones, ain't there enough cars to go around as is?..
I reuse my grocery bags and water bottles... I don't need the entire Grid to be redesigned to be more efficient.

moparstuart

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 19, 2010, 04:42:37 PM
What's wrong with recycling old cars,.. instead of the material energy and pollution costs associated with the production of millions of new ones, ain't there enough cars to go around as is?..
I reuse my grocery bags and water bottles... I don't need the entire Grid to be redesigned to be more efficient.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   I make my living recycling cars , try to sell every part i can off them before crushing and then recycling the rest .   Less raw material need to be mined and so forth .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

I wonder why more effort isn't "spent" there's that old BTU exchange question again... On making the maximum Use of Solar, Wind and Tide Power generation?..  :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Yep. It'll all work out just fine. But less money per mile and less money to people that want me dead is the main goal for me. One door closes and another opens. They'll do just fine with recycling batteries or battery parts. Look what they do with tires today?  50 years ago they were thrown in huge piles and buried. Now they make tons of productive things from them along with fish homes.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Samson

So,..  are you gonna buy one of these Volts and I gonna be subsidising your purchase?..  :popcrn:

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 19, 2010, 05:33:38 PM
Yep. It'll all work out just fine. But less money per mile and less money to people that want me dead is the main goal for me. One door closes and another opens. They'll do just fine with recycling batteries or battery parts. Look what they do with tires today?  50 years ago they were thrown in huge piles and buried. Now they make tons of productive things from them along with fish homes.
yeah but i still have to pay big buck to get tires hauled off if i cant sell decent used ones or crush 4 with every car . !!!!!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 19, 2010, 05:39:38 PM
So,..  are you gonna buy one of these Volts and I gonna be subsidising your purchase?..  :popcrn:
Oh that's funny and thank you.  :2thumbs:  No,I can't afford the tax on it let alone the car.  Can't wait to see one.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 19, 2010, 05:50:32 PM
Oh that's funny and thank you.  :2thumbs:  No,I can't afford the tax on it let alone the car.  Can't wait to see one.

C'mon Rob!  10 pages of this thread and you are not buying one?  This is like watching the movie "Kids"   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 24, 2010, 02:12:11 PM

C'mon Rob!  10 pages of this thread and you are not buying one?  This is like watching the movie "Kids"   :icon_smile_big:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 24, 2010, 02:12:11 PM
So,..  are you gonna buy one of these Volts and I gonna be subsidising your purchase?..  :popcorn:
Oh that's funny and thank you.  :2thumbs:  No,I can't afford the tax on it let alone the car.  Can't wait to see one.

Carmon Rob!  10 pages of this thread and you are not buying one?  This is like watching the movie "Kids"   :icon_smile_big:
Hey I didn't ask for the ten pages?  I read today the Nissan Leaf was just officially listed as 99 mpg by the EPA.
Looks like an electric future is on the way.  More gas for us is how I see it.  :2thumbs:

"  the news earlier this week that the EPA has approved a "fuel-economy" label for the 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car showing a rating of 99 "miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe)."

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 24, 2010, 06:15:09 PM
Hey I didn't ask for the ten pages?  I read today the Nissan Leaf was just officially listed as 99 mpg by the EPA.
Looks like an electric future is on the way.  More gas for us is how I see it.  :2thumbs:

Until they eliminate everything but the high ethanol blend to the point that our cars won't run. :P

1969chargerrtse

Hey the Volt numbers are in also.  Just got a GM/Volt email.

" On Wednesday the EPA released the information to GM who then immediately announced it publicly. Now the cars can be delivered to customers, allowing the company to achieve a hole in one for a delivery date first anticipated over three years ago.

Here are the official numbers:

1. 93 MPGe for all-electric range, combined city highway. This is expressed as miles per gallon equivalents showing how far the car can drive purely on the amount of electric energy that would be contained in a gallon of gas (33.7kwh)

2. Official full charge time is 4 hours at 240-v

3. EV Range is 35 miles officially, GM still says 25 to 50, based on driving style, temperature, and terrain.

4. Extended range charge-sustaining combined city and highway fuel economy is 37 mpg. It is 35 mpg city and 40 mpg highway.

5. Total range is 379 miles, 344 of gas range plus 35 miles electric range.

6. 60 MPG is the official overall combined number (MPGe + MPG) of fuel economy behavior over lifetime of the vehicle. It would be 93 if driving purely electric and 37 if you only drove using gas. This is the highest, of course, in the segment. "

Brock Samson

Motor Trend Magazine Disembowels Rush Limbaugh
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/Motor-Trend-Magazine-Disembowels-Rush-Limbaugh-2602
  Assuming you've been anywhere near the biggest automotive technological breakthrough since ... I don't know, maybe the self-starter, could you even find your way to the front seat? Or are you happy attacking a car that you've never even seen in person?

Last time you ranted about the Volt, you got confused about the "range," and said on the air that the car could be driven no more than 40 miles at a time, period. At least you stayed away from that issue this time, but you continue to attack it as the car only a tree hugging, Obama-supporting Government Motors customer would want. As radio loudmouths like you would note, none of those potential customers were to be found after November 2.

Back to us for a moment, our credibility, Mr. Limbaugh, comes from actually driving and testing the car, and understanding its advanced technology. It comes from driving and testing virtually every new car sold, and from doing this once a year with all the all-new or significantly improved models all at the same time. We test, make judgments and write about things we understand.
If you can stop shilling for your favorite political party long enough to go for a drive, you might really enjoy the Chevy Volt. I'm sure GM would be happy to lend you one for the weekend. Just remember: driving and Oxycontin don't mix.
  Motor Trend

I laughed a bit upon reading that...

and in further Electric Auto news...
  The RAV4 electric.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-debuts-100-mile-range-rav4-179314.aspx

Brock Samson

ACUDANUT

Nope, just tired of hearing about it.  I BET your not buying one, so S.A.D.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 25, 2010, 03:46:09 PM
I'm not buying one for the simple reason I can't afford to buy any new car right now.  But if I was it would be the Volt.  I think it's cool and look forward to the new direction public transportation is heading in.
Piston engine cars have been the main driving force for how many decades and people haven't had a problem talking about them yet?  The technology in Volt is just coming on board and already your tired of it?

Brock Samson

So don't read the thread.  :slap:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 26, 2010, 08:08:50 AM

I thought that also, but didn't want to say it.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mauve66 on November 26, 2010, 10:02:33 AM
cars are private transportation, not public
Yeah, I really mean private and public. They have hydrogen buses and electric buses around here, I think all that stuff is cool.  In N.Y I think they switched to hybrid UPS trucks which again is neat because that eliminates so many truck engines just idling from stop to stop, That sort of thing.  To me it's all Good.

1969chargerrtse

More jobs for people coming soon.  Thank you Chevy Volt.  :2thumbs:

"The hiring was announced by CEO Dan Akerson during a ceremony as the company prepares to deliver the first Chevrolet Volt rechargeable electric cars to customers. Akerson also disclosed that GM is selling the $41,000 Volt at "close to cost," but said its vehicles of the future will benefit from Volt technology "

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/11/30/business-us-gm-jobs_8171808.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

GM has had 240,000 inquiries about buying the Volt on its websites, Reuss said. The company is preparing to add production should demand be higher than anticipated, he said. The company will export Volts from the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, but it will not limit sales in North America at the expense of exports,

Landonsrt

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 26, 2010, 08:44:27 AM
Quote from: Brock Samson on November 26, 2010, 08:08:50 AM

I thought that also, but didn't want to say it.

Say it! I wish I could buy a volt. I'm impressed. Motortrend and automobile car of the year. Something obviously was done right.....