News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 11, 2010, 02:33:16 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 11, 2010, 11:11:55 AM

Yep, I little about you and by the way you respond that's probably o.k
None of the things that bother you, bother me.  I look at the big picture of a car company coming up with something different compared to what's been draining our wallets for the last so many years. Didn't Chrysler get help from uncle Sam some years back?  So what?  Who cares.  They pulled through and are here today on their own.

Yea you are probably better off.  I tend to be an opinionated a-hole.  Though I really did not have much of a opinion on Chryslers loan from back in the day, mainly because I was 5.  Should they have received it? Probably not.  I did not agree with the current bailouts, so in order to be consistent, I would say no.

I would also not consider Chrysler really standing on it's own.  Not when they owe billions in bailout money.  
" Yea you are probably better off "  Now that's funny.   :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NYCMille on November 15, 2010, 01:39:22 PM
Hey guys -

Here's the review did of the http://www.ridelust.com/ridelust-review-the-2011-chevy-volt-green-meets-practical/:
Thanks for the link, you guys did a great job and so did GM.  This is a brand new car, I'm sure as the years move on better and better upgrades will be added.

"  It's not an exaggeration to call the Volt the most important car in GM's history, but I'll go one further: I believe the Volt will be among the five or ten most important cars in the history of the automobile. When you get the opportunity to drive one, jump at the chance. I'm glad I did. "

BB1

Dude your dreaming. It will be the worst car in history, with names like Ford Edsel, Pinto, Yugo, and the famous EV1.  :Twocents:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on November 16, 2010, 11:22:20 AM
Dude your dreaming. It will be the worst car in history, with names like Ford Edsel, Pinto, Yugo, and the famous EV1.  :Twocents:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  you forgot prius   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: moparstuart on November 16, 2010, 02:29:52 PM
Quote from: BB1 on November 16, 2010, 11:22:20 AM
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  you forgot prius  
Yeah O.K, you're right and all the auto professionals are wrong.  ::)

" Volt, Unshockingly, Wins Two Car of the Year Awards "

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1169322&icid=autos_065&GT1=22022

" The much-hyped, oft-debated Chevy Volt extended-range plug-in hybrid has just been announced as Car of the Year by two separate publications within just a couple hours of one another, lending credence to GM's relentless PR push attempting to label the vehicle as a game-changer and a vehicle unlike any other on the road. "

"Automobile Magazine associate editor Eric Tingwall noted that "on its way to becoming Automobile Magazine's 2011 Automobile of the Year, the Chevrolet Volt endured more scrutiny and skepticism than any of the other nine semifinalists." The Volt, Tingwall said, is "genuinely an all-new car, in the most simplistic sense as well as in the greater notion that the Volt is unlike any vehicle we have ever driven."

In the Motor Trend contest, the Volt beat out such notable rides as the Audi A8, Honda CR-Z, and stablemate Chevy Cruze, to name just a few. In Automobile Magazine's competition, the Volt came out on top against, among others, the Buick Regal and Ford Fiesta; the publication also named the Jaguar XJ as the design of the year, along with announcing other awards. "

66chargerkid

It looks like a mix between a prius and a camry hybrid in styling. Why cant we have a good looking hybrid.
Second of all, everybody thought the prius would change the world too, it just raised Americans gas mileage but still made the H2 (in the overall picture) more gas efficient. Car of the year means little when so many other cars have been car of the year before it and some are most definitely turds.
Short term hype is great, I am not a person against the environment by any means, but saying this car will change the history of automobiles when we have yet to see the long term effects is a little bold.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 66chargerkid on November 17, 2010, 12:21:41 AM
It looks like a mix between a prius and a camry hybrid in styling. Why cant we have a good looking hybrid.

The reason why it looks like a turd is so that it stands out so much that people think, hey what was that turd?  Then they are going to look it up and read about it.  Then they will see that our tax dollars help to pay for it and then they might be interested in buying one. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

As a partially related aside, I would like to point out that when Chrylser received help a couple of decades ago, it was NOT the government that loaned them money.  Uncle Sam essentially just co-signed on the loans that Chrysler still had to borrow from the banks and promise that if Chrysler defaulted on the loans then and ONLY then would taxpayer money be used.  In exchange for this risk the government of the day got a nice fat payment from Chrysler as a forced thank you.
Yes, there was taxpayer money at risk but contrary to the now popular myth the feds did not actually ever put money into the company.
Todays version is of course different and the irony is that now with tax dollars actually being used, it's no longer really an American company.  Still a domestic in my books though and I'm happy to see them turning around and I'm happy to see GM do well too.  Do I think the Volt will save the day?  No, but I do think it's a great step and a positive attempt to steal some of the thunder that the Pious keeps wrongfully (IMO) stealing.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ponch ®

As Mike said in his review...a lot of us muscle car types may not like the car, or its looks, or its relative lack of power...but that's because it doesn't fit OUR lifestyle. But to the average Point A to Point B car buyer, this is a great car. I agree w/ Khyron too...anything that helps the domestic car industry is good.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Landonsrt

Chrysler got bailed out too and still had to be saved by another manufacturer. GM actually turned a profit this last quarter and still paid back their loan ahead of schedule. I hope the Volt will do well. I think its better looking than the prius and honda's version. Cant remember the name.
They are all hatch backs with the same look to be more streamlined for fuel economy. I think the volt pulls it off the best. My  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Chryslers bail out and buyout were all part of the same deal really.  One wasn't going to happen without the other so it's a little unfair if you are implying that they got money, blew it and had to find a new owner.(IMO)  As for GM, unless I missed something (and it's quite likely I did) GM's loan repayment wasn't quite as complete as their public relations campaign was leading us all to believe either.  But both are just kicking the cat, the important thing is that the domestics come back.

TUFCAT

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 17, 2010, 06:46:09 PM
As Mike said in his review...a lot of us muscle car types may not like the car, or its looks, or its relative lack of power...but that's because it doesn't fit OUR lifestyle. But to the average Point A to Point B car buyer, this is a great car. I agree w/ Khyron too...anything that helps the domestic car industry is good.
Well, said except for one misunderstanding.  This car, and electric cars have super kick.  This is no slow poke.  Electric cars are awesome fast, this is just a family type of car, and I like the styling and it's not a hybrid like the prius etc...

1969chargerrtse

Dans 68

This article from last Tuesday made me think of this thread.  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

1969chargerrtse

Yeah I know they did more testing on the Volt than any car they ever built.  It's actually been road tested in all climates for years before finally being released.  But just like the Prius issues and this article, I wonder after 10's of thousands are built what odd and dangerous things can happen?

bull

All this hype and excitement over electric and hybrid cars and still no one sufficiently addresses the big issues. How much more time, energy and fuel goes into the battery production which is added to the time, energy and fuel that goes into making the car itself? The car itself costs as much as any other car to produce but then you add to that the environmental, financial and diesel fuel costs of battery production and it looks a lot less efficient. Although lithium-ion batteries are said to have no contaminants, certain elements used in the batteries still must be collected through mining (carbons and oxides among others) which when added to the already-huge production of lithium-ion for cameras, laptops, cordless tools, etc., compounds the production and disposal issues more. And I have to wonder how many points on the globe these elements visit prior to making their way into the Volt.

The plug-in electricity is still produced mainly by the burning of coal and hydroelectric energy from dams. No doubt that demand will increase. In all, it seems like a convoluted solution to a problem that could be solved more simply by perfecting the proven technologies at hand. IMO we've only scratched the surface of the potential in diesel engines (Google Helen and John Taylor). The Volt might be a decent short-term answer but I'm not completely convinced of that. I believe it is better than the nickel-metal hydride in the Prius though, which itself could create a disposal nightmare when they start failing.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on November 19, 2010, 12:17:15 AM
All this hype and excitement over electric and hybrid cars and still no one sufficiently addresses the big issues. How much more time, energy and fuel goes into the battery production which is added to the time, energy and fuel that goes into making the car itself? The car itself costs as much as any other car to produce but then you add to that the environmental, financial and diesel fuel costs of battery production and it looks a lot less efficient. Although lithium-ion batteries are said to have no contaminants, certain elements used in the batteries still must be collected through mining (carbons and oxides among others) which when added to the already-huge production of lithium-ion for cameras, laptops, cordless tools, etc., compounds the production and disposal issues more. And I have to wonder how many points on the globe these elements visit prior to making their way into the Volt.

The plug-in electricity is still produced mainly by the burning of coal and hydroelectric energy from dams. No doubt that demand will increase. In all, it seems like a convoluted solution to a problem that could be solved more simply by perfecting the proven technologies at hand. IMO we've only scratched the surface of the potential in diesel engines (Google Helen and John Taylor). The Volt might be a decent short-term answer but I'm not completely convinced of that. I believe it is better than the nickel-metal hydride in the Prius though, which itself could create a disposal nightmare when they start failing.

Its simple...we need to build more nuclear plants. Unless you're some kinda greenie tree hugger that thinks theyre evil...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

I really don't have a problem with nuclear plants. :shruggy: In actuality, though, I think a better solution would be to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

I only approached my above argument from the "greenie treehugger" standpoint because that's what's driving this current fad of hybrid vehicle production. Just trying to inject some logic before they pee their pants with excitement.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on November 19, 2010, 12:17:15 AM

To me it's all about cost per mpg.  If I can run all the errands I run for the family and just plug it in and that cost is much much less per kw than gallon, I'm flippin thrilled.  Cars will move on to Hydrogen, etc in the future.  The excitement is that the Volt is the first step in a long time for a new direction.  Again, if gas was 5.00 a gallon there would be a huge waiting list like there was for the loud smelly VW diesel Rabbit.
MPG.  That's all I care about.  This 8 mpg with the Charger is killing me.   :RantExplode: :icon_smile_wink:

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on November 19, 2010, 12:40:38 AM
I really don't have a problem with nuclear plants. :shruggy: In actuality, though, I think a better solution would be to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

I only approached my above argument from the "greenie treehugger" standpoint because that's what's driving this current fad of hybrid vehicle production. Just trying to inject some logic before they pee their pants with excitement.

Bull dont you live in greenie treehugger central out there in Portland, how do you survive day to day being surrounded by them all the time?   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."