News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 11, 2010, 07:21:04 AM

You guys are like my wife. Why do you have to take things to the extreme?  Something wrong with getting 4 people around in a car that can get over 125mpg? ( Or whatever the true numbers are? ) You need to go pay 5.00 a gallon again to remember what it is like for the oil companies to have you by the nuts. Did you do the same complaining when carbs went to fuel injection, or the big bad car companies stopped using points and went with electronic ignition.  I wonder if the negative talk is about because another company than Mopar is involved?  You can't be that shallow?
Thanks for posting that link Brock, it looks interesting.

It is obvious from your statement you no absolutely jack shit about me.

I own four cars.

1.  My 1969 Super Bee.

2.  My wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee- because she wanted it.

3.  My GMC Yukon- my daily driver which I have had for 10 years and 250,000 miles.

4.  My GMC Sierra 3500 - my camper hauler which I have had for 3 years and 150,000 miles.

My problem is not with an electric car, my problem is you get a $7500.00 tax credit to buy this fuckin car. This is the government "nudging" people to buy a government made car.  You don't see them doing this with the F-350 do ya?  Nope.  Why?  Because people want it.  Let the car sink or swim on its own merit.

My next problem with this car is size.  I have absolutely no use for, or the desire to drive some little cracker box car like this.  When Ford can build me a electric F-450 crew cab long bed 4X4 which pulls 16000lbs I may be interested.  Until then. . . .

My next problem is with GM.  They are running on taxpayer money.  I don't care what kind of phony bullshit commercial they stuck out there.  They are still running off money paid by in by me.  Until they are not a wholly owned subsidiary of the Federal Government, Ford will be the only company getting my new car business.

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Khyron

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 11, 2010, 09:18:41 AM
  When Ford can build me a electric F-450 crew cab long bed 4X4 which pulls 16000lbs I may be interested.  Until then. . . .

that will be a lot of D cells  :o

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Dans 68

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 10, 2010, 10:21:04 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on November 10, 2010, 08:30:29 PM
I wonder why there are sooo many rebates (read subsidized by the Government) offered on this car? http://www.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/chevy-volt-will-cost-41000-before-tax-rebate/1 The answer is it can't make it on its own merits, and that this technology is not mature enough for the market. "Here, purchase this car! It will save you money and the earth!"  :scratchchin:   :stirthepot:   :rofl:   :D

Dan

That is exactly right, it can not.  
You guys are like my wife. Why do you have to take things to the extreme?  Something wrong with getting 4 people around in a car that can get over 125mpg? ( Or whatever the true numbers are? ) You need to go pay 5.00 a gallon again to remember what it is like for the oil companies to have you by the nuts. Did you do the same complaining when carbs went to fuel injection, or the big bad car companies stopped using points and went with electronic ignition.  I wonder if the negative talk is about because another company than Mopar is involved?  You can't be that shallow?

Ouch!  :o   :icon_smile_wink:  I don't think it is taking it to the extreme. Just an observation in these times of economic uncertainty. I have noooo doubt it is a technological marvel, and can probably save energy...it is just that my tax dollars are being used to get the public to buy it. Why? That is the only problem I have with it. I'm a form follows function kind of guy. Design the product to what the public will buy, and not what the public should buy. Just a bit of mind altering pot stirring here.  :scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Khyron

not to get into a huge argument here, but im all for anything that will get people to buy American....People have lost so much faith in the big 3 they can use any help they can get... besides, I can thing of a million other things you guys should be complaining about your tax dollars being used for, this isn't one of them...

In my humble opinion.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Khyron on November 11, 2010, 10:32:51 AM
not to get into a huge argument here, but im all for anything that will get people to buy American....People have lost so much faith in the big 3 they can use any help they can get... besides, I can thing of a million other things you guys should be complaining about your tax dollars being used for, this isn't one of them...

In my humble opinion.

How about i pay full price for the car and i get $7500 worth of lap dances for free!  That just might put more people in the drivers seat.  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

You guys are like my wife. Why do you have to take things to the extreme?  Something wrong with getting 4 people around in a car that can get over 125mpg? ( Or whatever the true numbers are? ) You need to go pay 5.00 a gallon again to remember what it is like for the oil companies to have you by the nuts. Did you do the same complaining when carbs went to fuel injection, or the big bad car companies stopped using points and went with electronic ignition.  I wonder if the negative talk is about because another company than Mopar is involved?  You can't be that shallow?

I own four cars.

1.  My 1969 Super Bee.

3.  My GMC Yukon- my daily driver which I have had for 10 years and 250,000 miles.

4.  My GMC Sierra 3500 - my camper hauler which I have had for 3 years and 150,000 miles.

My problem is not with an electric car, my problem is you get a $7500.00 tax credit to buy this fuckin car. This is the government "nudging" people to buy a government made car.  You don't see them doing this with the F-350 do ya?  Nope.  Why?  Because people want it.  Let the car sink or swim on its own merit.

My next problem with this car is size.  I have absolutely no use for, or the desire to drive some little cracker box car like this.  When Ford can build me a electric F-450 crew cab long bed 4X4 which pulls 16000lbs I may be interested.  Until then. . . .

My next problem is with GM.  They are running on taxpayer money.  I don't care what kind of phony bullshit commercial they stuck out there.  They are still running off money paid by in by me.  Until they are not a wholly owned subsidiary of the Federal Government, Ford will be the only company getting my new car business.

Yep, I know little about you and by the way you respond that's probably o.k
None of the things that bother you, bother me.  I look at the big picture of a car company coming up with something different compared to what's been draining our wallets for the last so many years. Didn't Chrysler get help from uncle Sam some years back?  So what?  Who cares.  They pulled through and are here today on their own.

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Khyron on November 11, 2010, 10:32:51 AM

In my humble opinion.
:patriot: :iagree:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tricky lugnuts

IMHO:

I don't doubt the Volt is a technological marvel, even though I think most of the benefits are overly hyped up at this point . . .

I also can't really complain TOO much about the federal subsidies - look at how heavily oil production and procurement is subsidized - and I have to agree there are plenty of other things in the federal budget and tax code that are much more wasteful.

The one thing that REALLY, REALLY irks me is all the so-called greenies (for example, writers at New York Times) constantly pitching this Volt and other electric cars as an "emissions-free, guilt-free pleasure ride" toward some gloriously sustainable planet of human superiority.

That is a crock of bull$H!#. This thing uses electricity AND gas - best case scenario, more electricity and less gas.

Until we figure out cold fusion or some sort of sustainable hydrogen economy to provide electricity, that means burning coal - most certainly not emissions-free - or nuclear reactions using enriched uranium, which opens up a whole host of other environmental problems, from mining to waste disposal.

It probably takes at least 4,000 pounds of fossil fuels to build one of these Volts, just like any other car - possibly three times that when you consider all the lithium and copper and everything else that has to be mined (environmental damage), and probably a regular ongoing amount equal to that to strip mine all the coal needed to power this thing and keep it from running on gasoline.

An environmental savior the electric car is NOT. A handy tool for politicians and car companies to say they are improving gas mileage and reducing our dependance on oil, slightly more so. But I know, to some its the start of a new "Chevy Revolution," to others just more BS.

:Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

I own four cars.

1.  My 1969 Super Bee.

" My next problem with this car is size.  I have absolutely no use for, or the desire to drive some little cracker box car like this.  When Ford can build me a electric F-450 crew cab long bed 4X4 which pulls 16000lbs I may be interested.  Until then. . . . "

That's the point you don't get?  This is the start of what you wish for.  Someone had to start somewhere and GM took the leap and did.  And when that big ass truck is on the road your rebate will be gone and you'll be pissed at that also.

Soooo those GM trucks are pretty strong  huy?  :icon_smile_big:

1969chargerrtse

I think the Volt is a cool step to propel a car for less money and not much more.  While this is going on, Hydrogen is being used more and more.  Basically it was gas cars, then hybrids, now the Volt and with all the billions spent on a Hydrogen future it look like Hydrogen is next.  I'm just looking to get as many miles as I can for a little per mile cost, along with not being reliant on people that sell the oil to me but want me dead.  That's all.  :shruggy:

Dans 68

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on November 11, 2010, 11:13:32 AM
IMHO: ... just more BS.

:Twocents:

Well stated.  ;)  And again, I will be looking at the volt with high intensity (pun intended) to marvel at the technology used.  :angel:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NYCMille on November 11, 2010, 08:23:48 AM
Guys -

I just drove the Volt from NY to Detroit on Monday and Tuesday. It's a great car and one that we're currently working up a full review on. If you'd like, ask any questions you'd like as I assure you you'll get honest answers. The full review will be posted up at Ridelust.com, a site for which I am the Editor-in-Chief. Shoot me questions and I'll incorporate them into the review.

Mike
Awesome, good or bad reviews it's a start of something different.  And it doesn't look like some tiny car as previously suggested?

Brock Samson

I posted this some time ago, maybe on this very thread... waaaaay back in the midsts of time...  :smilielol: anyhow,.. educate yourselves... I like the Fusker I mean the Fisker Karma,

http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/

...it should be on line pretty soon, funny how much the Fisker and the Tesla X look like the Chevy SS Concept which looked like the '99 Charger Hemi Concept. But as usual I digress...

http://www.greencar.com/
The whole green Eco Movement makes me check to make sure I still have my wallett whenever the word "Green" appears or I see a leaf in a Logo... It's the greatest thing for Advertisers and Graphic Designers since the advent of the Jet...
  age...

NYCMille

A few quick observations.

- It drives beautifully
- Is in no way a pint-size car, in fact with the rear seats down it has almost as much cargo space as my Magnum and will sit four average size adults with ease.
- 350-370 miles on a full charge and 9 gallons of fuel. If you have a commute less than 40 miles round trip you NEVER have to put fuel in it.
- Electric power steering is fantastic
- No drive train vibration means less physical fatigue over long distances

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NYCMille on November 11, 2010, 11:37:48 AM
A few quick observations.

- It drives beautifully
- Is in no way a pint-size car, in fact with the rear seats down it has almost as much cargo space as my Magnum and will sit four average size adults with ease.
- 350-370 miles on a full charge and 9 gallons of fuel. If you have a commute less than 40 miles round trip you NEVER have to put fuel in it.
- Electric power steering is fantastic
- No drive train vibration means less physical fatigue over long distances

:nixon: :patriot: :boogie:

That is great stuff to hear.  I along with so many other Americans are very proud.  GM done good it seems.
People should understand my frustration.  If you go back to the beginning when I posted the Volt was coming, It was unreal of all the negative comments.  Oh the grid won't handle it, oh if you do the math it's not possible, and on and on  :violin: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
Well, it's finally here and the future looks cool.

Brock Samson

Wow! talk about drinking the kool aid! Were you so high on the EV-1?..
   Mike I know these electric cars can be quite quick if all the charge is used to accelerate... but the heavy drivetrain makes them a pig to handle, the pious is a such a pig... so how's this one?.. did you do a handeling evaluation?
BTW:  I can think of 100 cars (most of them used) I'd rather have.  :shruggy: But that's just me..

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 11, 2010, 11:45:01 AM
Wow! talk about drinking the kool aid! Were you so high on the EV-1?..
   Mike I know these electric cars can be quite quick if all the charge is used to accelerate... but the heavy drivetrain makes them a pig to handle, the pious is a such a pig... so how's this one?.. did you do a handling evaluation?
BTW:  I can think of 100 cars (most of them used) I'd rather have.  :shruggy: But that's just me..

Nope, not a green guy.  Have no interest in the old Ev1 cars.  Just proud of American technologies and a different way to drive a car.  That's all.

NYCMille

The Volt is definitely not a car for everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not a good car. We're working no the full review right now so stay tuned as I'll post it up as soon as it's done. I'll cover handling, acceleration, braking... and everything. This will be a pretty in depth review so don't worry.

Brock Samson

I'm not worried, I'd just rather spend the money on sumpthin else... besides I think it's pretty ugly...  :eek2:

Ponch ®

I could be wrong, but IIRC there is some sort of huge tax break for vehicles over 6000lbs....the F350 is among them.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Dans 68

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 11, 2010, 12:57:27 PM

I could be wrong, but IIRC there is some sort of huge tax break for vehicles over 6000lbs....the F350 is among them.

There is an accelerated depreciation schedule for all large (read "commercial") vehicles over 6k lbs for business purposes. So yes, you are correct. That is another thorny subject probably not fit for this car forum.   :D

Dan

Khyron

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 11, 2010, 11:07:32 AM

How about i pay full price for the car and i get $7500 worth of lap dances for free!  That just might put more people in the drivers seat.  :yesnod:

sold! and for $7500 i better get a happy e.....ummm, family board right? :D

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 11, 2010, 01:06:49 PM

There is an accelerated depreciation schedule for all large (read "commercial") vehicles over 6k lbs for business purposes. So yes, you are correct. That is another thorny subject probably not fit for this car forum.   :D

Dan

Ah. I remember a couple of years ago people were getting their panties in a bunch (esp. the treehuggers) over how some were buying Hummers and getting that tax break, or something along those lines.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerboy69

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 11, 2010, 01:06:49 PM

Dan

Yes Dan is correct, for business use only.

As a side note, the current administration ended this program as of the first of the year according my my accountant.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 11, 2010, 11:11:55 AM

Yep, I little about you and by the way you respond that's probably o.k
None of the things that bother you, bother me.  I look at the big picture of a car company coming up with something different compared to what's been draining our wallets for the last so many years. Didn't Chrysler get help from uncle Sam some years back?  So what?  Who cares.  They pulled through and are here today on their own.

Yea you are probably better off.  I tend to be an opinionated a-hole.  Though I really did not have much of a opinion on Chryslers loan from back in the day, mainly because I was 5.  Should they have received it? Probably not.  I did not agree with the current bailouts, so in order to be consistent, I would say no.

I would also not consider Chrysler really standing on it's own.  Not when they owe billions in bailout money.  

--Gerald Ford