News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

Does anyone know what type of traction it has? I mean, are there electric motors on each wheel, so it can be a true 4WD, or are there motors on 2 wheels, or is there a main motor that powers a drive shaft?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jeryst on August 23, 2010, 10:46:04 PM
Does anyone know what type of traction it has? I mean, are there electric motors on each wheel, so it can be a true 4WD, or are there motors on 2 wheels, or is there a main motor that powers a drive shaft?
Around the 1:30 mark they show how the generator kicks in and powers the batteries that power the motors and it looks like front wheel drive.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

Oh yeah, if you go to Jay Lenos site on the Volt clip, he has a old electric car powered by a gas engine with a generator.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

1969chargerrtse

Start beating me up.  I guess Chevy is taking a beating for claiming the car was 100% electric drive when in fact after 70mph the motor helps it along.  I think it was released yeaterday?

BB1

Delete my profile

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 13, 2010, 08:07:41 PM
Start beating me up.  I guess Chevy is taking a beating for claiming the car was 100% electric drive when in fact after 70mph the motor helps it along.  I think it was released yeaterday?

The Camaro guys have been  :boxing_smiley: about it for several days, have a look:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110252
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

1969chargerrtse

"When the car reaches 70 mph the main motor spins too fast to be maximally efficient, and a clutch disengages the ring from the case. This allows the second electric motor to participate and both motors act in parallel to reach speeds of 101 mph with adequate power.

In charge sustaining mode, the gas engine goes on and clutches to the generator causing it to produce electricity to continue powering the main motor.

However of particular interest, when going above 70 mph in charge sustaining mode, and the generator gets coupled to the drivetrain, the gas engine participates in the motive force. GM says the engine never drives the wheels all by itself, but will participate in this particular situation in the name of efficiency, which is improved by 10 to 15 percent."

http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/11/motor-...ts-powertrain/

TUFCAT

I saw three silver Volts going down the road yesterday in Plymouth MI. They looked like regular production cars....and very good looking!

I'd roll one.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

1969chargerrtse

Well it's November and the Volt is out, and the Motor Trend article does it good.  America should be proud.  Job well done, and the future looks great.  :patriot:

1969chargerrtse

Charger440RDN

The more the technology improves the uglier the cars get :rotz: This is a great step toward the future though.

Silver R/T

This bites Toyota in the ass big time. First all those recalls and now domestic competition. I'm afraid Mr. Toyoda will have to perform seppuku.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

did the article say anything about a speaker system to make it SOUND like a car???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mauve66 on November 09, 2010, 09:13:20 PM
did the article say anything about a speaker system to make it SOUND like a car???
Actually I read there is some type of horn that alerts people the car is coming because of how quite it rolls.
I just think a different type of technology to propell cars is cool.  I also think it's sharp looking.  Can't wait to see one here in Ct.  I know some others have seen them and say it's nice.  GO America!!

Khyron

Im gonna go stick 500 D size batterys up my cars ass and see how it does ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Brock Samson

A couple things,
For one Toyota has invested heavily in TESLA Motors and Panasonic jumped in bed I mean on board last week,.. Toyota even reused the old NUMI motors factory here in Fremont Calif. which they used to share with GM to produce the Vibe/Matrix twins, Toyota trucks were made there too as a mater of fact. Helps the local economy quite a bit to re-hire some of the thousands of recently laid-off assembly-line workers. So no way should Toyota be counted out of the Electric Race. An Electric RAV -4 is just around the corner. BTW: The last quarter numbers posted by TESLA even if massaged as no doubt they were are nothing to sneeze at.

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 09, 2010, 08:50:23 PM
This bites Toyota in the ass big time. First all those recalls and now domestic competition. I'm afraid Mr. Toyoda will have to perform seppuku.
Silver just once I wish you'd do a teeny tiny bit of research before posting everything your tiny mind seems to know, kinda'.  http://green.autoblog.com/category/tesla-motors/
Another think - I mean thing is that Mike Musto of Drive Angry fame had one all this past week and did a looong cross country drive inna Volt... look for a full report here soon.
                      http://www.ridelust.com/2011-chevrolet-volt-road-test-preview/#more-63139

Dans 68

I wonder why there are sooo many rebates (read subsidized by the Government) offered on this car? http://www.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/chevy-volt-will-cost-41000-before-tax-rebate/1 The answer is it can't make it on its own merits, and that this technology is not mature enough for the market. "Here, purchase this car! It will save you money and the earth!"  :scratchchin:   :stirthepot:   :rofl:   :D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

chargerboy69

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 10, 2010, 08:30:29 PM
I wonder why there are sooo many rebates (read subsidized by the Government) offered on this car? http://www.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/chevy-volt-will-cost-41000-before-tax-rebate/1 The answer is it can't make it on its own merits, and that this technology is not mature enough for the market. "Here, purchase this car! It will save you money and the earth!"  :scratchchin:   :stirthepot:   :rofl:   :D

Dan

That is exactly right, it can not. 
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 10, 2010, 10:21:04 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on November 10, 2010, 08:30:29 PM
I wonder why there are sooo many rebates (read subsidized by the Government) offered on this car? http://www.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/chevy-volt-will-cost-41000-before-tax-rebate/1 The answer is it can't make it on its own merits, and that this technology is not mature enough for the market. "Here, purchase this car! It will save you money and the earth!"  :scratchchin:   :stirthepot:   :rofl:   :D

Dan

That is exactly right, it can not.  
You guys are like my wife. Why do you have to take things to the extreme?  Something wrong with getting 4 people around in a car that can get over 125mpg? ( Or whatever the true numbers are? ) You need to go pay 5.00 a gallon again to remember what it is like for the oil companies to have you by the nuts. Did you do the same complaining when carbs went to fuel injection, or the big bad car companies stopped using points and went with electronic ignition.  I wonder if the negative talk is about because another company than Mopar is involved?  You can't be that shallow?
Thanks for posting that link Brock, it looks interesting.

NYCMille

Guys -

I just drove the Volt from NY to Detroit on Monday and Tuesday. It's a great car and one that we're currently working up a full review on. If you'd like, ask any questions you'd like as I assure you you'll get honest answers. The full review will be posted up at Ridelust.com, a site for which I am the Editor-in-Chief. Shoot me questions and I'll incorporate them into the review.

Mike