News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

So we can start junking out Volts now to repower New England?  I'm all for that :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Actually I was kind of wondering if there is enough power in your recycled Volt battery to recharge your Volt when the power goes out? :lol:

Steve P.

Your answer is YES. Because the battery backups will have more batteries inside them than your VOLT.

I test drove a Chevy truck a few years back, that had a few efficiency deals going on with it. One was while stopping it charged the batteries. Another that it shut off when you stopped. It had ELECTRONIC A/C that kept the truck interior cold for a few minutes. 3-4 I think, then it shut off until you started up again. To restart at the GREEN light, just hit the gas peddle. The truck also had an inverter that you could use as a generator to use on job sites or as back up to your home.. I have no idea how it went with that bundle of ideas, but if we were not trying new things, we would still be riding horses and greasing bearings with the last horses ass that died before this one.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

I was just being facetious Steve, but still good to know.

JB400

I wonder if that can work in reverse?  Use the Volt as a generator and power the house when the power goes out.   :scratchchin:

Well, that answers that question :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mauve66 on November 16, 2012, 12:27:30 PM
so the battery only uses 30% of its life for a car but is still available for hours of use in 3-5 houses or a small commercial building??  
i haven't had a power outage in the past 15 years
don't want one of those things sitting next to the sidewalk in my neighborhood every 3-5 houses
I lose power all the time.  From Monday to Saturday this last storm.  Probaly 3 times plus a year.  Just picked up a sweet winco 9k generator ( 900.00 on GL ) powered by propane to a Briggs twin Vangaurd 16hp engine.  Just tonight I picked up some flex hose so I could vent it outside. I'm already for the next power loss storm.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 16, 2012, 03:47:43 PM
So we can start junking out Volts now to repower New England?  I'm all for that :2thumbs:
:lol:  Good one.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Getting off topic (or least its a huge tangent) but how long will that power your home on what size tank of porpane?

JB400

Generator in the garage is a big no no. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:  Even venting it outside with a hose is not such a good idea either.  Best way to do it, build a special shed for it with ventilation.  Better safe than sorry.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 16, 2012, 11:00:48 PM
Generator in the garage is a big no no. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:  Even venting it outside with a hose is not such a good idea either.  Best way to do it, build a special shed for it with ventilation.  Better safe than sorry.
It's propane not gasoline.  Carbon dioxide not monoxide, plus it's been in that garage running 3 plus times a year for over 20 years and were still alive.  The garage is also on the side of the house not above. But...... Thanks. :icon_smile_big:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 16, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
Getting off topic (or least its a huge tangent) but how long will that power your home on what size tank of porpane?
Propane is so great!!!!!!.  No carb clogging. Pure and clean.  The tank outside says 100 on it.  I'm thinking 100 gallons propane fuel as that thing is so heavy.  We ran it for a little less than a week the last 2 storms.  With plenty of fuel to go.  The propane guy swings by and tops it off. There is a fuel use chart somewhere on the net?

Finally found a greart site for info.  If looking for one look in CL for "propane generator"

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/PropaneNGUse.html

Example listed
Using these factors we can arrive at run times based on average load for any generator.   For instance:

How long would a 5000 Watt Generator with a 10 HP engine at 50% load run on a 20# propane cylinder?

10 HP at 50% load would be using 5 horse power to generate 2500 watts of energy.

5hp x 10,000 BTU would consume 50,000 BTU per hour.  

Using a 20# cylinder that produces 441,600 total BTU, the engine consuming 50,000 BTU per hour would run for about 8.8 hours.

Here's what my 100 gallon tank looks like.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 16, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
Getting off topic (or least its a huge tangent) but how long will that power your home on what size tank of propane?
Here's an example of one for sale.
Powerland LPG Propane 6500 Watt Portable Generator can power common household appliances and power tools. It is equipped with 120 volt outlets, a 12 volt DC outlet for battery charging, and a 120/240 volt outlet.

A generator of this size is ideal for camping and running essential household appliances during power outages.This generator is a real workhorse with great features like a 16HP 4-Stroke OHV engine, Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and an Automatic Voltage Regulator for an affordable price. It boasts an engine run time of 8 hours at 50% on a common 20Lb (gas grill type) cylinder (LPG cylinder not included). A 5 foot propane fuel hose with a regulator is included for your added convenience. The engine is surprisingly quiet; it runs at less than 72db. This is a great generator for anyone who needs affordable power.

Steve P.

That is a 100 POUND tank. Not gallon and I don't care what is burning inside, it can kill you if not properly ventilated. If your garage is attached to the house or you spend much time in the garage while it is in use, you are in danger of DEATH. Talk to any fireman that has dealt with outages. Every year that we get hit hard by hurricanes, twisters or just severe storms, we end up with someone who thinks they can run a generator inside their house or a propane cooker inside for heat and cooking... Well, many are no longer around to warn you not to do what they did...

I have run a generator in my UNATTACHED shop with the overhead door cracked open by an 2x4. The wind we normally have with our storms churn up enough air not to worry, but if the shop were attached to my house there is NO WAY IN HELL I would even think about it.. A small generator shack would be a much better idea. 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

JB400

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on November 17, 2012, 08:12:13 PM
That is a 100 POUND tank. Not gallon and I don't care what is burning inside, it can kill you if not properly ventilated. If your garage is attached to the house or you spend much time in the garage while it is in use, you are in danger of DEATH. Talk to any fireman that has dealt with outages. Every year that we get hit hard by hurricanes, twisters or just severe storms, we end up with someone who thinks they can run a generator inside their house or a propane cooker inside for heat and cooking... Well, many are no longer around to warn you not to do what they did...

I have run a generator in my UNATTACHED shop with the overhead door cracked open by an 2x4. The wind we normally have with our storms churn up enough air not to worry, but if the shop were attached to my house there is NO WAY IN HELL I would even think about it.. A small generator shack would be a much better idea.  
It is a 420lb 100 gallon tank.  Propane tanks are rated by gallons not lbs.  They run propane trucks in closed shops all over the country.  I was a fireman pump operator for 12 years I have a little experience.  I appreciate the info but a 4k generator ran in that attached garage with the door open for over 20 years.  Now I have a 9k in there and vented it out back so I can keep the garage door shut so snow doesn't blow in.  There is nothing wrong here or unsafe.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 17, 2012, 08:33:19 PM
CO2 is just as deadly and CO.
Gotta disagree there.  

"Which is more deadly carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide?.

Carbon Monoxide

It binds to hemoglobin (oxygen-carrying molecule in the red blood cells) 40x more than carbon dioxide. It is a lot tougher to remove."

1969chargerrtse

Carbon dioxide CO2 and carbon monoxide CO are sometimes confused. They are quite different in their effects on humans.

Carbon dioxide CO2 is present in the atmosphere today at 385 parts per million (by volume) or 0.039 percent. 50 years ago it was 280 parts per million. The increase is caused by people burning things, especially fuels - coal, oil, and natural gas, especially coal. Burning wood also puts CO2 in the atmosphere.

Almost all life is dependent on plants getting CO2 from the atmosphere. That's where the carbon in wood and leaves comes from.

Human and animals breathe in air, take some of the oxygen from it (air is 20 percent oxygen), and breathe out a mixture that includes CO2 obtained by combining part of ones food with oxygen.

Air can be about 5 percent CO2, from a stuffy room, before people become uncomfortable. According to the Wikipedia article, amounts above 800 ppm are considered unhealthy, amounts above 5,000 ppm are considered very unhealthy, and those above about 50,000 ppm are considered dangerous to animal life.

Carbon monoxide CO, unlike CO2, is a bad poison. CO is produced by incomplete combustion, i.e. when there isn't enough oxygen to make CO2, you get CO.

Carbon monoxide binds very strongly to the iron in the hemoglobin in the blood. Once carbon monoxide attaches, it is very difficult to release. So if you breath in carbon monoxide, it sticks to your hemoglobin and takes up all of the oxygen binding sites Your blood loses all of its ability to transport oxygen, and you suffocate.

Because carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin so strongly, you can be poisoned by carbon monoxide even at very low concentrations if you are exposed for a long period of time. Concentrations as low as 20 or 30 parts per million (PPM) can be harmful if you are exposed for several hours. Exposure at 2,000 PPM for one hour will cause unconsciousness.

Many common devices produce carbon monoxide, including cars, gas appliances, wood stoves and cigarettes, especially if used in a confined space.

Tilar

In another 3 months this thread about a car that was a bad investment of my tax money will be 3 years old. Can't this damn thing go away or be locked or something?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

JB400

Talk to someone on a submarine or on a space craft. Ask them what they have to worry about.  In the event that they lose their oxygen tanks, they end up breathing the CO2 that they previously gave off.  When they get a lack of oxygen, they go to sleep.  They keep breathing long enough, they use up what oxygen is in the air, and they die. 

Yes, CO is deadly, but CO2 can be as well.  Too much of any gas can be deadly.

Steve P.

From a quick search:

1.1) Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that results from incomplete combustion of organic materials such as wood, paper, petrol, coal, heating oil, etc. What makes carbon monoxide particularly dangerous is that it has neither color nor odor (you cannot detect it easily), and you get little or no warning just before it makes you lose consciousness. Exposures to 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health.

Hemoglobin (Hb) is what transports oxygen (O2) in our blood, but CO has 240 times more affinity for Hb than O2. So CO reaches Hb, forms the HbCO complex and inhibits the transportation of O2 from the lungs to tissues, therefore starving them of O2 (especially the brain and the heart), therefore killing you.

And I am certainly no PROPANE PRO, but I have owned a few 20 POUND propane tanks and when they refill the tanks they ask if my tank is a 20 or 30 pound tank. Also my next door neighbors have a 250 pound tank for their fireplace that says on it 60 gallon fluid capacity.  It's not easy to see from your pic, but I believe my 80 gallon air compressor tank looks a hell of a lot bigger than the tank in your picture... Also my neighbors tank sits on a slab. Not on any type of wire stand or other. The tank sits only on a collar similar to a 20 pound tank used for a gas grill. So maybe they sell tanks both ways or by the gallon after a certain size. I don't know...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

JB400

Quote from: Tilar on November 17, 2012, 09:58:47 PM
In another 3 months this thread about a car that was a bad investment of my tax money will be 3 years old. Can't this damn thing go away or be locked or something?
Start a petition.

djcarguy

:scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
  is any way to block thread or all post from this member???????????????????

IS ANY WAY TO BLOCK THREAD OR ALL POST FROM THIS MEMBER???????????????????????????????????? :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 18, 2012, 03:39:58 AM
Start a petition.
\

No kidding. I don't think I've ever seen so much drivel about one's daily driver on any car forum. Ever. For some bizzare reason, the original poster just won't let this thread end. As soon as it gets near the bottom of the page, he drags it up again. ::)

For the love of god man, you're a GM guy now; aren't there Firebird & Volt forums where you can take thos to? Are you that desperate for internet attention? 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 18, 2012, 12:28:00 AM
Talk to someone on a submarine or on a space craft. Ask them what they have to worry about.  In the event that they lose their oxygen tanks, they end up breathing the CO2 that they previously gave off.  When they get a lack of oxygen, they go to sleep.  They keep breathing long enough, they use up what oxygen is in the air, and they die. 

Yes, CO is deadly, but CO2 can be as well.  Too much of any gas can be deadly.
This point is true, to much gas of anything is not good.The main point was you guys commented that the propane gas is as deadly as the Gasoline gas and it is not.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on November 18, 2012, 03:39:15 AM
From a quick search:

1.1) Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that results from incomplete combustion of organic materials such as wood, paper, petrol, coal, heating oil, etc. What makes carbon monoxide particularly dangerous is that it has neither color nor odor (you cannot detect it easily), and you get little or no warning just before it makes you lose consciousness. Exposures to 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health.

Hemoglobin (Hb) is what transports oxygen (O2) in our blood, but CO has 240 times more affinity for Hb than O2. So CO reaches Hb, forms the HbCO complex and inhibits the transportation of O2 from the lungs to tissues, therefore starving them of O2 (especially the brain and the heart), therefore killing you.

And I am certainly no PROPANE PRO, but I have owned a few 20 POUND propane tanks and when they refill the tanks they ask if my tank is a 20 or 30 pound tank. Also my next door neighbors have a 250 pound tank for their fireplace that says on it 60 gallon fluid capacity.  It's not easy to see from your pic, but I believe my 80 gallon air compressor tank looks a hell of a lot bigger than the tank in your picture... Also my neighbors tank sits on a slab. Not on any type of wire stand or other. The tank sits only on a collar similar to a 20 pound tank used for a gas grill. So maybe they sell tanks both ways or by the gallon after a certain size. I don't know...

You're posting about Carbon Monoxide.  I'm well aware of that info.  As for tanks.  My tank says 100 on it.  On the Propane site I went on it said bottles are rated by gallon size not weight.  100 gallan tank holds 420lbs of propane.