News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

For starters gas is not cheaper per mile than electric.  This is the main point, most of the information thought out there is just plain incorrect.  Also, I made the point from day one how politics is where all the anger is about this car, because it's extremely well built and gets 99 mpg average.  So what's to hate? American designed ,created,and built.  I've never read anything ever about anything from the government involved of creating this car?  It was probably on the table long before anyone even knew what an Obama was/is? ( We'll know in a few months ).  I do remember when the idea was thought about building a electric car generator backed up that gas was around 5.00 a gallon.  Good ole Americans auto designers were hard at work trying to figure out how to make it happen.  Toyota even went public saying it couldn't be done.  It was done, the car is here, and like any new technology it's not price competitive, yet.  Stop the  :'(  and enjoy the ride, I drove one and it was a great ride.
And stroker400wedge we don't agree anymore. Gas is more per mile than electric so, you would be saving money.  And the car cost 41 not 50.  It was fun having someone to agree with a tiny bit for a short time anyway.  :'(
Ghoste we hit the "whatever" point so you can just sit back and read, no need to comment anymore.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

1969chargerrtse

Ghoste

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2012, 05:25:18 AM
Ghoste we hit the "whatever" point so you can just sit back and read, no need to comment anymore.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm pretty sure I'll continue to comment.

JB400

Hey, we ain't done yet.  You buckle yourself back up.  We're still going for a ride.  

True, the Volt was in development before our dearly beloved CiC :eek2: become pres.  But, he was the one that is responsible for the rapid development of this car to get on the market  before it was even ready.  You can't tell me the gov. did not get into GM without their own agenda.

Second,  the chevy Volt is  cheaper to run on electricity than on gasoline.  These are the numbers I come up with.  You can't argue with me about the specs on this car, I have a factory brochure.

US Energy Information Administration.

Average Price of Kilowatt hour: national average  7/12            $00.12
Average Price  of a gallon of gasoline:  national average   9/24/12          $3.826

Your Volt can go 35 miles on one charge.  Battery capacity  16Kwh.   Total cost to charge the car full charge   $1.92  Total cost per mile   $.05/mile
Your Volt on gasoline  same 35 miles.  9 gallon fuel tank.   Total cost of fill up  $34.43.   Total cost per mile  $.98.

How I come up with my numbers.   I took the national avg. x fuel capacity= a.    I then took (a)/35 miles=cpm

If I didn't figure it right, let me know.

Ghoste

Too bad there isn't some way to determine its true environmental impact over the long term.  We all know the gas car has an impact but the greens and the government keep insisting these electric cars including ones with back up generators are so clean.  Lithium mines aren't exactly tulip fields.  The electricity has to be generated somehow, there are still penty of petrochemicals invvolved, the batteries have to be disposed of sooner or later.
It isn't the car I dislike nearly so much as the hype and hypocrisy which surrounds it.

JB400

I agree.  We don't know the full impact or consequences of these cars.  Everyone looks at the pro's, but what are the cons? :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 25, 2012, 06:56:33 AM

I agree.  We don't know the full impact or consequences of these cars.  Everyone looks at the pro's, but what are the cons? :shruggy:
Trust me there's been no lack of input on what could be on the con side.  I don't think lt  could be much worse than the 8 mile per gallon charger I was driving.

Ghoste

Was the Charger being traded in every few years for a new 8mpg Charger?  Was it being driven thousands of miles each year?

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2012, 07:14:32 AM
Was the Charger being traded in every few years for a new 8mpg Charger?  Was it being driven thousands of miles each year?
Probably sat in the driveway

1969chargerrtse

Those numbers stroker posted are incorrect but I don't have time right now to post the correct numbers. I'll get back to this later.  For starters the EPA numbers are 99 miles per gallon is nothing you can  say  or read is going to change that.

1969chargerrtse

JB400

Hit me with the digits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I used the sales brochure from the factory.  You got to look past all the bs and read the fine print. :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 25, 2012, 07:22:43 AM
Hit me with the digits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I used the sales brochure from the factory.  You got to look past all the bs and read the fine print. :2thumbs:
I can't right now for starters you don't put the price of charging a full battery 100 percent because the battery pack never goes down that low the numbers were twisted out of shape to make it look like that but the bottom line is that car gets 99 miles per gallon combined with electric and gas thats a fact that's awesome it's a great car let's all go get one.    :2thumbs:

JB400

This is what your reading:
EPA- estimated 35 mile range based on 94MPGe (electric);  340-mile range based on 35 MPG city/40 highway (gas)

My figures are actual costs per mile  based on the amount of electricity is in a battery charge and how much it costs to charge the battery; compared to how much it would cost in gas to fill it and how much it cost per gallon to go one mile.

Ghoste

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2012, 07:26:24 AM
it's a great car let's all go get one.    :2thumbs:

Interesting statement considering how you don't have one yourself.

JB400

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 25, 2012, 07:22:43 AM

I used the sales brochure from the factory.  You got to look past all the bs and read the fine print. :2thumbs:
I can't right now for starters you don't put the price of charging a full battery 100 percent because the battery pack never goes down that low the numbers were twisted out of shape to make it look like that but the bottom line is that car gets 99 miles per gallon combined with electric and gas thats a fact that's awesome it's a great car let's all go get one.    :2thumbs:
In other words, you can't back up your own bs. :smilielol: :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2012, 07:44:57 AM
it's a great car let's all go get one.    :2thumbs:

Interesting statement considering how you don't have one yourself.
Datona  is a great car also, I'd love to have. Can't afford that either   You  guys are just being dumb now, not worthy of continuing on.

Ghoste

You tell us to buy one but we're being dumb by pointing out that you don't have one of these yourself?  The Daytona analogy is as relevant as bringing up the mileage on a toy you no longer own. 

Dino

You guys are still at it huh?  Didn't think you'd make it 28 pages but I stand corrected!

You do realize you're never going to agree right?   :icon_smile_big:

Just messing with you guys, carry on.   :coolgleamA:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Dino on September 25, 2012, 11:31:52 AM
You guys are still at it huh?  Didn't think you'd make it 28 pages but I stand corrected!

You do realize you're never going to agree right?   :icon_smile_big:

Just messing with you guys, carry on.   :coolgleamA:

One side bases their argument on facts and figures with a little detective work to back it up.  The other side goes along with what GM tells them the fact and figures are.  Its a roundy round that never stops.  :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Sometimes I think its still a useful debate and then the next time I feel like its a pissing contest to see who types the last word. :lol:

Cooter

Question is, when is it a "Pissing contest" and a "useful debate"?

Most times, each party will go with the latter when they are the last poster.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Sometimes I think its still a useful debate and then the next time I feel like its a pissing contest to see who types the last word. :lol:
That's too funny. I was thinking the  same thing?   Next.