News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Great news that our American made Chevy Volt is doing much better sales than the limited miles Leaf.

"Nissan reports that sales of the electric LEAF checked in at 510 units in May 2012, compared to 370 units in April, 579 units in March and 478 units in February 2012. That's approximately half the 1,142 LEAFs sold in May 2011. Sales of the Chevy Volt increased a bit with General Motors reporting it sold 1,680 units in May 2012, compared to 1,462 units in April and a record-setting 2,289 units in March 2012. For the sake of comparison, General Motors sold only 481 Chevy Volts in May 2011.

In terms of 2012 year-to-date numbers, the tally for the Nissan LEAF now checks in at 2,613 units. Meanwhile, the 2012 YTD results for the Chevy Volt ring in at 7,057 units. Last year at this exact time, General Motors' year-to-date Volt sales stood at 2,184 units and Nissan's mark for the LEAF was 2,167 units. If this trend for Nissan continues, then LEAF sales in 2012 could represent a decline from last year.

Despite these numbers, 2012 already shows signs of significant growth in the plug-in segment, especially since the recent launch of the Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid. Additionally, there's still reason to believe that the introduction of a handful of additional plug-in vehicles, including the Tesla Model S and the Toyota RAV4 EV, by year's end will increase sales in the segment."
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

What do you mean "limited miles Leaf", don't they both get about 100 miles or less out of a charge?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on June 01, 2012, 01:50:05 PM
What do you mean "limited miles Leaf", don't they both get about 100 miles or less out of a charge?
What I mean is the Leaf is done if you run out of juice, unlike the Volt.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

And you thought this thread was lost?
I know you're all excited to learn about total Chevy Volt sales in June. Hang in there one day to go!  I did read that since Ca is now allowing the car in their special lane, sales went up 40%. One driver said in the electric car lane it takes an hour to get to work, and in normal traffic lanes it takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Traffic sucks. Sitting in a car with the engine off must help?
If and when my car sells, I know a few of you were concerned if I left the site who would update  the Volt thread?  So I'll stick around.    :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 29, 2012, 10:35:44 AM
I did read that since Ca is now allowing the car in their special lane, sales went up 40%.
Not a knock on the car but this stuff is a joke. They let hybrids and electrics in the carpool lane even if there's only one person inside. Does it help car sales? Sure! But the whole point of the carpool lane is to reduce the number of cars on the road to ease congestion. It would be the same (shorter) trip to work if the person had someone else with them - and they wouldn't have had to buy a new car! Politicians just love to tweak the rules to dole out favors don't they?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1969chargerrtse

Yeah I hear ya. Power and politics. I was just having fun with the thread. I could care less about Volts. Been there done that.

mauve66

and the volt isn't paying fuel taxes to build and maintain that carpool like a regular car is, so what happens when it needs to get paved in 5-8 years of volt traffic????
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

It's okay, California could well be bankrupt by then so they'll hit the feds up for a loan.

mauve66

we've been talking about the carbon footprint to make them for years, and the 80K miles for the volt and 197K miles for the leaf, they all forgot that in order to get to that point you will have to get a new set of batteries so that sets you even farther back

this statement is spot on

"Except for funding basic research, government involvement in industry can only lead to corruption and waste"
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Ghoste

Exactly and even funding and research become suspect IMO.  (just look at the groups "researching" climate change on the taxpayers dime)

1969chargerrtse

Yeah you Volt lovers!!!     :scope:

" Report: Chevy Volt sales up so far in 2012, Nissan LEAF sales down
Posted: Jul 04, 2012

General Motors reported Chevy Volt sales of 1,760 units in June, doubling the number it sold in June 2011.

In the first half of 2012, GM sold a total of 8,817 units of the Volt plug-in hybrid, more than triple the 2,745 it sold during the same period in 2011. In fact, during all of 2011, GM sold 7,600 units of the Volt.

Nissan LEAF sales on the other hand saw a 69 percent drop in June to 535 units. So far in 2012, Nissan has sold 3,418 units of the LEAF – down 19 percent during the same period in 2011.
- By: Omar Rana "

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mauve66 on July 03, 2012, 07:44:41 PM
we've been talking about the carbon footprint to make them for years, and the 80K miles for the volt and 197K miles for the leaf, they all forgot that in order to get to that point you will have to get a new set of batteries so that sets you even farther back

this statement is spot on

"Except for funding basic research, government involvement in industry can only lead to corruption and waste"
Batteries again?  This went on when the Pirus first came out and look how many are on the road today?  I talked to a 1990 Honda insight owner. Never a problem and still has original batteries.
I think the Volt batteries are covered for 100k. That's a lot of mileage.
It's new technology. It's not perfect for every issue or person. It's a starting point of something new.

mauve66

that's fine and good, i'm all for new technology, in everything, except my car driving itself down the highway, the problem i have is my tax dollars going to it when i have no say then they tell me, sorry SS is no longer available for you, but look what we spent it on.......................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

aussiemuscle

Quote from: mauve66 on July 05, 2012, 03:35:03 PM
that's fine and good, i'm all for new technology, in everything, except my car driving itself down the highway,
i dunno. with the total lack of ability, the less people we have driving the better. if the car can drive itself, the women* can do their make up without crashing. (*or men, either way, they're dangerous).

Fred

If it were compulsory for all the idiots to buy these cars that would probably be a good thing but I for one need to know that I'm in full control at all times. No one plays with my life but me!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ghoste

If you are willing to place your complete faith in technology I guess you could trust your car and the millions of others to be safe.  NASA takes every precaution possible and builds triple redundacy into each safety system and we still lose the occasional astronaut.  Do you trust a company who can't ensure a molding stays attached to the body to build you an automatic car?

1969chargerrtse

Not really getting that deep into it. Nothing about complete trust, etc. my point from day one was its nice to see a change, and anything that pulls us away from buying oil from people that want us dead is a good thing.
Some of you guys would of had a hard time back in the day when the auto buggy was looking like it was gonna replace the horse. 
I do understand the political points, gov involvement etc.....  But that's not going to deter me from thinking its kinda cool.

Ghoste

I'm not talking about the Volt or any other brand of car, I'm talking about faith in technology.  Nothing more nothing less.  My point in that post applied only to the notion that automatic cars which drive themselves would be safer. 

mauve66

Quote from: aussiemuscle on July 05, 2012, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on July 05, 2012, 03:35:03 PM
that's fine and good, i'm all for new technology, in everything, except my car driving itself down the highway,
i dunno. with the total lack of ability, the less people we have driving the better. if the car can drive itself, the women* can do their make up without crashing. (*or men, either way, they're dangerous).

my computer at home crashes way more than i would like my car to if a computer was controlling it

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 06, 2012, 08:29:21 AM
Not really getting that deep into it. Nothing about complete trust, etc. my point from day one was its nice to see a change, and anything that pulls us away from buying oil from people that want us dead is a good thing.
Some of you guys would of had a hard time back in the day when the auto buggy was looking like it was gonna replace the horse.  
I do understand the political points, gov involvement etc.....  But that's not going to deter me from thinking its kinda cool.

canadians and argentinians want us dead??? close the borders, oh wait, i have to buy some stuff from BE&A first....................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Ghoste

I think most of the fanatics who want western infidels dead are basically impoverished as it is.  Even if their funding is indirectly coming from oil though I can promise you this, if every internal combustion engine in the "free" world were taken away right now and subsituted with electric vehicles, the oil pumps would go right on sucking away at the deserts because it is used for so many other things and so many other nations.  Their hatred for us is religious and that isn't going away, they want all the crusaders dead and the money will come from somewhere no matter how many hundreds of Volts Chevrolet sells this month.

Charger_Fan

I finally saw my very first Volt four days ago. It drove by very quietly.
It was a darker grey than the catalog pics I've seen, but no cool "daytime LED lights". I guess the owner was probably conserving that last 1700 yards of battery distance between plug-in's.
So yeah, it was quiet...but so is a new 2012 whatever gas car. So no big woop in that department.
That is all.

Also, I love the responses in that article! ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mytur Binsdirti

"GM sold 10,666 Volts through July, way up from the 2,870 sold during the same period a year earlier."

If it werre any other production car, that low amount of sales would be considered a disaster & heads would roll. At a production run of only 3 years, 118,287 Edsels werre built, and that car was considered a flop. Thank goodness the government is subsidizing GM & every Volt that is sold (to keep the real price down).   ::)