News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Finally the Chevy Volt is due out in a couple States this November.  There is talk already how you will see one on YouTube blowing the doors off any muscle car of any era.  
Oh yea, someone will take all that high tech battery power that is made and saved for 40 miles of driving and make it do all the work in a 1/4 mile very fast.
Go ahead laugh, but electric cars are, and will be very very fast.  100% torque off the line.  The car as we know it is about to change.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1042373_chevy-volt-production-date-is-official-job-1-set-for-november-1st
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

skip68

I've said it before, electric motors are very powerful.  :yesnod:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

RD

decent looking car too.. wait, did I say that about a chevy?  Mopar Gods are going to strike me down with a thunderVOLT.. i mean bolt :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BB1

To bad the US electrical grid is over taxed as it is.  :P God save us.

It's all hype to me, no chance it will replace the gas engine.
Delete my profile

Silver R/T

Quote from: BB1 on February 15, 2010, 08:07:22 PM
To bad the US electrical grid is over taxed as it is.  :P God save us.

Oil "gods" won't allow that for sure
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

The biggest "Oil God" of them all only gave us so much oil on the planet to work with.  We'll minimize oil usage gradually as it gets harder to cheaply extract the lightest grades.

Chevy Volt, Chevy schmolt.  I still like oil-burning Chargers. 

BB1

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 15, 2010, 08:13:05 PM
To bad the US electrical grid is over taxed as it is.  :P God save us.

Oil "gods" won't allow that for sure

Oh please, what do oil companies have to do with stupid environmentalist wanting to keep nuclear power plants from being built, or any electrical generating plant from getting permit to build because it will impact a rat.

I guess they hold stock in oil companies right?  :slap:

Delete my profile

1969chargerrtse

To bad the US electrical grid is over taxed as it is.  :P God save us.

It's not hype at all. Go to Jay Lenos garage and see a road test and learn more. Why is getting 3 digit gas mileage hype? You can buy it brand new, drive it for the first 40 miles on pure electric power, never plug it in again and the gas engine will quietly and smoothly take over and power the generator that will propel the electric motors and give you over 100 mpg. No hype. Fact.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/clips/green-garage-2011-chevy-volt/1188266/
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

Until they create a cleaner, cheaper way to generate electricity and dispose of spent batteries this is just another exercise in futility. But the greenies currently have their heads buried in the sand regarding "clean" energy so we're pressing on regardless.

6bblgt

Has anyone seen any information regarding the cost to charge the batteries in order to take that 40 mile trip?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 15, 2010, 08:55:33 PM
Has anyone seen any information regarding the cost to charge the batteries in order to take that 40 mile trip?
I had read a long time ago some pretty amazing numbers. It was like over 200 mpg in comparison of what it cost electric wise to charge up for the 40 mile run. When converted over after 40 miles you get over a 100 mpg in comparison as what it cost to run the engine which powers the generator to drive the car. This info is what I read a long while back when it was being designed. If it's changed or incorrect, sorry. I'm pretty sure it's very close to accurate.
These are not your daddy batteries. All this stuff is high tech. We Americans should be very very proud. I think GM has done good. Very good.

BB1

I beg to differ, Hype Hype Hype.

GM had another electric car years ago... where is it now?

Do you know how much lead it would take to make the batteries?

Do you know the environmental destruction it does to the water supply, air, ext...

One car ain't going to change jack squat in the whole automotive world. It still comes down to where do you get the power to charger the batteries.

Green car my ass.
Delete my profile

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BB1 on February 15, 2010, 09:48:57 PM
I beg to differ, Hype Hype Hype.

GM had another electric car years ago... where is it now?

Do you know how much lead it would take to make the batteries?

Do you know the environmental destruction it does to the water supply, air, ext...

One car ain't going to change jack squat in the whole automotive world. It still comes down to where do you get the power to charger the batteries.

Green car my ass.
This is the last time I will waste my time trying to explain facts to you.  There is no lead in the batteries.  This is not the 1980's.
The batteries have been being produce months ago to prepare for the launch.  They are not at all even close to lead batteries. :slap:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4257460.html

From April 2008

Right here, right now, in this lab, GM is testing two batteries in what amounts to a horse race for the future of driving: a nonophosphate unit with cylindrical cells from A123 Systems and large, stacked wafers of manganese oxide from Compact Power, a division of LG. The new battery packs are currently being installed as hundreds of engineers work around the clock, and a fleet of mules will test them at various GM proving grounds around the country by summer
I think A123 from Mass is the battery company.

One last comment.  It's not just the Volt, by next year there are many more big players following GM.  Just read any Motor Tread type magazine of what's coming out next year.  Hype?    :down:

Mike DC

IMHO the gasoline-powered electric cars (batteries power the wheels, gasoline motor helps power the batteries) could be a legitimate thing.  It still has the practical problems of using batteries, but the gas engine really helps keep the size of those problems under control compared to a 100% electric vehicle.    

The principle is similar to an old WWII diesel/electric submarine.  Run the diesel engine on the surface, run the electric power underwater, and use the diesel engine to recharge the electric batteries periodically.  

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 15, 2010, 10:24:23 PM

IMHO the gasoline-powered electric cars (batteries power the wheels, gasoline motor helps power the batteries) could be a legitimate thing.  It still has the practical problems of using batteries, but the gas engine really helps keep the size of those problems under control compared to a 100% electric vehicle.    

The principle is similar to an old WWII diesel/electric submarine.  Run the diesel engine on the surface, run the electric power underwater, and use the diesel engine to recharge the electric batteries periodically.  

I'm so glad to see your positive comment as I've always agreed with what you post. Thing is, all the testing is done. The car is here right now and will be on the streets soon. So people can make all the negative comments they want, GM put millions into this, Toyota laughed at GM and said it couldn't be done.  I read where GM worked 24/7 on getting this done.  ITS HERE! ( In Nov ). :woohoo:

elacruze

Hey, Mr. Facts;

Go to your local warehouse and test-drive a brand new Mitsubishi/Caterpillar forklift. That will tell you just how powerful/fast electric motors can be. Despite anybody's misguided marketing hype, no electric car is going to best gasoline engines in the performance department anytime soon.

Are they torquey? Yes. Fast? Potentially. Can you go around your errands all day without plugging in? sure. Can you buy less gasoline? yes. Will you be able to operate the vehicle over the long term for the equivalent of 100mpg? Not likely given the cost of electricity, especially in California.

Modern SMD electronics and SEM drive motors and regenerative braking is all cool, worthwhile and usable. But you can't escape physics; Batteries and electric motors are heavy. A 13" armature electric drive motor produces enough torque to snap the pinion off the equivaent of a Dana 60 if abused, but it draws near 700amps at 48volts. You don't get that sort of current delivery very long without a fire somewhere.

The math to figure out performance isn't really that hard. You can find easily how much horsepower per pound it takes to 1/4 mile at a given E.T.-then google watt's and ohm's laws, and calculate the amperage necessary to make that horsepower.

None of what you hear, only half of what you see.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: elacruze on February 15, 2010, 10:33:23 PM
Hey, Mr. Facts;

Go to your local warehouse and test-drive a brand new Mitsubishi/Caterpillar forklift. That will tell you just how powerful/fast electric motors can be. Despite anybody's misguided marketing hype, no electric car is going to best gasoline engines in the performance department anytime soon.

Are they torquey? Yes. Fast? Potentially. Can you go around your errands all day without plugging in? sure. Can you buy less gasoline? yes. Will you be able to operate the vehicle over the long term for the equivalent of 100mpg? Not likely given the cost of electricity, especially in California.

Modern SMD electronics and SEM drive motors and regenerative braking is all cool, worthwhile and usable. But you can't escape physics; Batteries and electric motors are heavy. A 13" armature electric drive motor produces enough torque to snap the pinion off the equivalent of a Dana 60 if abused, but it draws near 700amps at 48volts. You don't get that sort of current delivery very long without a fire somewhere.

The math to figure out performance isn't really that hard. You can find easily how much horsepower per pound it takes to 1/4 mile at a given E.T.-then google watt's and ohm's laws, and calculate the amperage necessary to make that horsepower.

None of what you hear, only half of what you see.
You make no sense. :shruggy:
Lets try this again.  Forget about the electric part o.k?  You buy it brand new.  The batteries are fully charged.  You drive 40 miles.  The small gas engine fires up and powers the generator that powers the high tech batteries that power electric motors that power the car.  You never ever again plug it in. You get over 100 mpg running on gas. Where is the electric issue?
2) Electric cars can't beat gas cars? :smilielol:  You need to hit You Tube and watch a little electric Toyota blow away a BMW M car and a Z06 vette.

How about the Tesla? 0 to 60 in 3.9

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Yeah lets compare with fork lifts.

1969chargerrtse

Silver R/T

I think it's about time Big 3 kicked Toyota's ass, as long as they don't have sticking pedals I think GM will do just fine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 15, 2010, 10:55:08 PM
I think it's about time Big 3 kicked Toyota's ass, as long as they don't have sticking pedals I think GM will do just fine
:patriot:  Thank You.  :2thumbs:

( couldn't help myself )

Bye bye Viper.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32E4li3xHI&feature=related

And it's not all about being green. Have some of you already forgotten about when we were paying 5.00 a gallon for gas from people that don't think kind of us?

mikesbbody

I saw the volt in a...old MCG magazine I think it looked good as long as I can still drive my Charger, I'm ok with these car's its unlikely I will own one unless they become mainstream (affordable) I do like the idea about not having to plug it in ever again.
If I recall correctly, there was a guy who built a electric car here in New Zealand he had a lot of overseas's interest in it and it was crazy fast.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mikesbbody on February 15, 2010, 11:46:21 PM
I saw the volt in a...old MCG magazine I think it looked good as long as I can still drive my Charger, I'm ok with these car's its unlikely I will own one unless they become mainstream (affordable) I do like the idea about not having to plug it in ever again.
If I recall correctly, there was a guy who built a electric car here in New Zealand he had a lot of overseas's interest in it and it was crazy fast.
I think they are about 32,000.00 which I think is dirt cheap compared to the 100,00.00 tesla and being new technology. 

mikesbbody

Well, maybe in 10-20 years I will be able to afford one  :lol: I sure hope we can still drive our Charger's then.

skip68

Look at a train.   They, (far as I know) have diesel engines that run generators for the electric motors.   They are very powerful indeed. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

Are any of us very satisfied about what has been happening to our (gasoline powered) cars & trucks in the last 20 years while trying to get the mileage improved?  

I don't want an electric car personally but I say bring on the alternative powered vehicles.  Get the soccer moms using less gas on average, and we'll ultimately benefit from it.  

IMHO our cars aren't in danger from it.  I don't care who wants to stop gas burning, it's just not gonna happen.  Trying to kick gasoline-powered cars off the road any time soon would be about as feasible as trying to outlaw using electricity.  We've built in the dependence for a century; they can't just switch that off overnight.  It would take decades to turn the inertia around and phase out widespread gasoline usage if they tried.