News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time to Install a Vinyl Top??

Started by baullz, February 04, 2010, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baullz

What I want to know is how long (in hours) it should approximately take for a professional body shop to prep the roof and install a vinyl top on a '69.

I just got a bill from my body man and it says it took him 14.3 hours to install the vinyl top, is this crazy cause for some reason it seems a bit much to me.  Am I right or am i just wishing my bill was cheaper  :shruggy:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just 6T9 CHGR

What kind of "prep" was needed on the roof?

I just had my old top removed & a new one installed for $300 last season.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

baullz

Basically just minor prep it was primed and sealed so I think all he did at most was do some light sanding so the adhesive would stick better.

Belgium R/T -68

Me and the wife installed my vinyltop  in 4 hours, first time ever. Then add the trimming which maybe took 3-4 hours and according to my opinion the
biggest PITA when doing a vinyltop. Once you start glueing the roof for the vinyl it's no turning back so I guess a pro must be able to glue the roof in a couple of
hours and then add prep and trimming but 14,3? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

FLG

If he did prime and seal I can see that adding a few hours. Might seem a bit high but how was his work? Generally you get what ya pay for.

khodne

Did my first one a few years ago, about 2.5 hours on a prepped roof, two guys.

baullz

Thanks for the replies guys and I will hopefully go and see the car sometime this week and just ask him about it and see what the 14 hours all intailed for sure.

But as far as quality goes he has done some awesome work so far so maybe it is just that, you get what you pay for.

Thanks again

Troy

Were the windows out? Did you use the factory trim? Did you have a reproduction top or did he have to make one?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hemidog

Remember the half hour coffee and smoke break every hour!

baullz

Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2010, 12:18:25 PM
Were the windows out? Did you use the factory trim? Did you have a reproduction top or did he have to make one?

Troy

Yup windows were out, it was factory trim and he had a reproduction top.

Troy

Then I'd say that's really high.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

too high imo. I'm new to this but I would say it would take me less than that.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71green go

My buddy just had a padded vinyl roof installed on his 76 T bird...installer supplied vinyl roof...All for $750 Canadian.....just for an example

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jeryst

I'm going to talk to a guy that does them. He just installs them (from scratch, no reproduction top), so any prep work other than a light scuffing
and the actual glueing would have to be done by someone else. I've heard he's high, but does excellent work. I'll let you know what kind of time/price
estimate he gives me.

Als73charger

Just curious, being a newbie, what is involved in replacing the vinyl? I know this is a loaded question,but do you have to remove all the glass? I figure I will remove the Opera windows, but anything else? Who sells the vinyl kits?
Al

baullz

Well talked to the bodyman and there was a little more too her then just glueing on the new vinyl (reprimed and prep, drilling new holes and aligning the trim, etc)  plus he does excellent work so I dont feel to bad about the 14 hours.

Thanks for the replies and still interested to see what you find out jeryst.

twodko

We're getting our top installed for $400. The glass will be out, the roof shot with epoxy primer and I'm supplying the Legendary vinyl top.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!