News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Hoods

Started by MoparManJim, February 14, 2010, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

Okay sense a good question was bought up about hood release's on old cars. It got me think on this question. 

For those of us that had cars that had hood repleases inside the car down under the dash, when you got the other year of chargers that had the hood release on the out side. How long did it to take you to fingure out where the dang releases was and then on top of that the other one to boot?  :lol: 

I'll start, for me, my parents had the cars with the ones on the inside of the cars and not the out side. When I got my charger many years ago. My late dad went to the inside of the charger looking for that release handle and told me that it was missing and I thought your right it is missing  :lol:. At the time we wasn't use to chargers very much yet. So we look high and low in the car for a leaver  :smilielol:. Didn't find anything, my late mom walks out to the car and ask us what are we looking for  :lol:, we my dad told her and then ask for a cup of coffee. Mom went and got one for him, well we was taking a break mom found the dang hood latch and wasn't even looking for it either and didn't tell us until later on as we was cleaning out the interior (it was very dusty) and still looking for a hood release leaver to get the hood open.  Then the 2nd latch was fun to find as well  :lol: :lol: 

Put it this my dad wasn't to found at to openning my hood up on my car very much.  :lol:

skip68

:hah:   It took me about 15 minutes to find mine.   :rotz:   I had to look up under the front of the hood to figure it out.     :rofl:    I felt stupid at first because I couldn't open my hood.   :rotz:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MoparManJim

Quote from: skip68 on February 14, 2010, 09:07:53 PM
:hah:   It took me about 15 minutes to find mine.   :rotz:   I had to look up under the front of the hood to figure it out.     :rofl:    I felt stupid at first because I couldn't open my hood.   :rotz:

It took us (dad and I) 4 hours of looking and 2 hours later mom told us what she had earlier but didn't think anything of it though and didn't think it was what we was looking for. Turns out it was!  :-\ :lol: 

It was around dust when we finally did get the hood open, it would have been sooner if dear old mom would have told us sooner. 

Then poor old dad when he was under the hood the dang thing came down on him  :smilielol: , it didn't hurt him though but it was funny as it look like the car had a tongue sticking out.  It happen to me afew times also. 

Leason, don't have hood open when there is alittle wind out as that can push the hood close real fast if it right.  :lol: 

skip68

Have you ever hit your head on the latch part that hangs down ?   :smilielol:   I did once when the hood wasn't open all the way.   :rotz: :slap:    That hurts.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MoparManJim

Quote from: skip68 on February 14, 2010, 09:26:20 PM
Have you ever hit your head on the latch part that hangs down ?   :smilielol:   I did once when the hood wasn't open all the way.   :rotz: :slap:    That hurts.   

Oh yea, sure did afew times to be honest... and your right that does hurt like a sob and soon after hitting it I was doing this   :RantExplode: to it  :lol:

69charger2002

man i think hitting your head on the under hood latch is a rite of passage for a charger owner. i can't tell you how many times the first couple years i owned mine i did that. not anymore!! now i watch friends and other family hit it when they want a peek under the hood. i've learned my lesson!
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

FLG

Quote from: 69charger2002 on February 14, 2010, 10:00:05 PM
man i think hitting your head on the under hood latch is a rite of passage for a charger owner. i can't tell you how many times the first couple years i owned mine i did that. not anymore!! now i watch friends and other family hit it when they want a peek under the hood. i've learned my lesson!

LOL!!

Same here, cant count the friends and strangers that are looking under the hood and hit the latch...i get a good kick out of it.

BTW, took me about 10 minutes to find me hood release, there was one inside the car (broken) so i figured i was out of luck...tuns out someone also put an exterior one on as well finally found it and popped it.

TylerCharger69

oh...i smacked it real good one day....took 4 stitches!!

MoparManJim

Quote from: 69charger2002 on February 14, 2010, 10:00:05 PM

I remember one evening, my dad was under the charger hood working on the engine. We was talking and joking around around, he did somthing wrong and I started to rub it into him about it as he just told me afew minutes before what not to do and then he did it LOL. Anyways I get out from under the hood and are getting a drink of soda, I notice that he is just under the latch.. I try to tell him but all he would do is tell me "Not a word out of you" as he would cut me off each time with "Not a word". Well I stand there and mom is setting on the glider watching also and I turn around and giver her that commical look and then turn backfacing where my dad is and going to tell him and yet again he cut me off. Sure enough a second later wam! he nailed that latch  :lol: I didn't even look as a slightly turn my head down towards the ground laughing and dad  :RantExplode: going of at the latch  :hah: . He looks at me while rubbing the back of his head and says "Why didn't you tell me?!" and I look at him and replyed "Dad, I was trying to but you kapt telling me to hush up though  :lol:" and he look at mom and she told him it was true  :lol:. The latch hasn't work right after that. But it was sure funny though  :smilielol:

One time last year, I was under the hood and I sure gave that little sob latch a good hit with my head and I mean good wallop to. I seen General Lee's, stars, birds, daisy's (the flower kind) and the lights almost went out in georgia to!   

A friend of mine Mark did it afew times also  :lol: 

ChgrSteve67

I put a tennis ball on mine when I work on the motor and at car shows so no one gets hurt

FLG

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 14, 2010, 11:04:08 PM

I put a tennis ball on mine when I work on the motor and at car shows so no one gets hurt

How many times have you attempted to close it with the tennis ball still there??  :rofl:

devilgear

I call that latch the "Death Hook"....Fudge I can't tell you how many times I have carved up my skull...Even when I say to myself watch for that damn thing-I do it anyway...HAHAH

A383Wing

Quote from: devilgear on February 15, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
I call that latch the "Death Hook"....Fudge I can't tell you how many times I have carved up my skull...Even when I say to myself watch for that damn thing-I do it anyway...HAHAH

same here....tennis ball works good

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: FLG on February 14, 2010, 11:05:02 PM
How many times have you attempted to close it with the tennis ball still there??  :rofl:

Not as many times as I have forgotten to put it on and hit my head on it.
Being 6'3" its right in the spot my head alway wants to occupy.

My 79 Mustang had the hook of death and a prop rod to hold the hood up.
I was replacing the water pump and hit the prop rod, the hood came down and the hook got me in the middle of the back.

elacruze

Uh...I guess I'm old enough that nearly everything I worked on when young had outside hood latches-interior releases were newish luxuries (which in Michigan took only too two or three seasons to sieze up)

'Death Hook' indeed. Maybe I'll find a beeping clown nose to put on it...that should bring some laughs.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

tan top

Have you ever hit your head on the latch part that hangs down ?   :smilielol:   I did once when the hood wasn't open all the way.   :rotz: :slap:    That hurts.  

yeah ouch !  :icon_smile_blackeye:  done it  first time i ever looked under the hood  , hurt ! no stiches but some blood :yesnod: , i looked at it & thought how many guys have hit their head on it over the years  :scratchchin:
 still  do it from time to time also , made  a tennis ball , but forget to put it on   all the time ::)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Jonas_N

Yep, when I got my car home I wanted to pop the hood and look at the engine bay...
I crawled around inside the compartment for a looong time trying to find some lever or something hidden...I thought the previous owner broke it.

Then my dad came and said, -lets pop the hood!  ...and he did, from the front.  :icon_smile_blackeye: