News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

man, how much have dealers hurt the hobby?

Started by ramairthree, January 18, 2010, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I believe he sold it in the upper 20's.  Was on ebay a couple times but didn't get reserve. I tried to get with him on it about a trade with my 69 Coronet R/T but didn't get much correspondance.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61891.0.html

69charger440

Thats to bad, that is one nice car!! Great buy for who ever purchased the car!! hopefully someone here picked it up! :cheers:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

BigBlockSam

i think that's a strange looking car . it's like it couldn't decide what it wants to be . then it says hemi on the top of the fenders  and it has a 440 . i like the quality of the car but they should have planned it out better.  :Twocents:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ramairthree

oh,  i thought it made like 22 on ebay. I could be wrong. I was thinking he needed  cash, sold it and then wham, there it is for ten grand more.  just commenting on the middle man adds up the price, like a real estate agent- without  actually producing something.

yes, it is "off" for sure, wondered about the 440 and hemi as well.

stripedelete

Quote from: ramairthree on January 23, 2010, 08:24:28 AM
oh,  i thought it made like 22 on ebay. I could be wrong. I was thinking he needed  cash, sold it and then wham, there it is for ten grand more.  just commenting on the middle man adds up the price, like a real estate agent- without  actually producing something

Risk.  He is taking risk.  He may only get $22K, $24K or even $15K for it.  The guy that drops 26k-28K on it will probably spend $3K on some repop. parts.  Pay some one to ship it to his house, maybe even pay someone to work on it.  I don't see this hurting the hobby.

There are still low/easy entry points in our catagory.  They just entail more labor and they are probably not hemi 4 speeds.

rob-dirt

Thats about right for that car remeber 2006 price are over - WHEN YOUR WORRIED ABOUT THE MONEY ITS NO LONER A HOBBY  :icon_smile_cool:

AUTO ON THE COLUMN
NO BACK PLUG
NO A PILLER MOLDINGS
THATS JUST A GLANCE
DONT KNOW WHAT THE PARKING LIGHT ARE OFF OF
A GOOD SET OF MAG 500,S WOULD LOOK BETTER
THEY JUST PUT A WING , STRIPE AND NOSE ON IT ! STILL THINK ITS CHEEP ?  :shruggy: still a nice car

oldcarnut

oh,  i thought it made like 22 on ebay. I could be wrong. I was thinking he needed  cash, sold it and then wham, there it is for ten grand more.  just commenting on the middle man adds up the price, like a real estate agent- without  actually producing something.

I think your partially correct about it.  His partner had told me that it was bought out of Texas if I remember right for about 20 give or take then they did some paint, panel replacement, and misc work to it for the resell after he drove it for awhile.  Sometimes the middle man isn't sooo bad as he makes somethings available to a lot of folks for a chance to buy that otherwise maybe one guy or nobody would have an opportunity.  The mark up regardless how bad is only as good as the amount someone will pay.  I knocked a big chunk out my costs for Teds Superbird kit selling a decent 70 Challenger I drove for a couple years that I had took in trade + cash for a 31 Ford Roadster I had for even a shorter time. But, I sold it for less than I could have got for it just to help the next guy out.  I'm not a wheeler dealer by any means and I've given away far more than I've made money on but it's the only way I've been able afford to move up to better cars without taking house money.  Not defending flippers at all especially those that take advantage of unsuspecting or unknowable owners and then try an sock it to the next guy which has been the subject of several previous posts.   If I had to pick out some guys that I feel have driven up prices I'd start with the Barrett Jackson type auctions and the high rollers that have raised the bar so high. It's nice to to be able to get so much for your car and nicer to be able to plunk out the cash but when they started up those auctions and televised them, everyone with a pile of rust in their yard saw the finished cars dollars signs in their dreams

Old Moparz

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 23, 2010, 11:20:54 AM

I think your partially correct about it.  His partner had told me that it was bought out of Texas if I remember right for about 20 give or take then they did some paint, panel replacement, and misc work to it for the resell after he drove it for awhile.  Sometimes the middle man isn't sooo bad as he makes somethings available to a lot of folks for a chance to buy that otherwise maybe one guy or nobody would have an opportunity.  The mark up regardless how bad is only as good as the amount someone will pay.  I knocked a big chunk out my costs for Teds Superbird kit selling a decent 70 Challenger I drove for a couple years that I had took in trade + cash for a 31 Ford Roadster I had for even a shorter time. But, I sold it for less than I could have got for it just to help the next guy out.  I'm not a wheeler dealer by any means and I've given away far more than I've made money on but it's the only way I've been able afford to move up to better cars without taking house money.  Not defending flippers at all especially those that take advantage of unsuspecting or unknowable owners and then try an sock it to the next guy which has been the subject of several previous posts.   If I had to pick out some guys that I feel have driven up prices I'd start with the Barrett Jackson type auctions and the high rollers that have raised the bar so high. It's nice to to be able to get so much for your car and nicer to be able to plunk out the cash but when they started up those auctions and televised them, everyone with a pile of rust in their yard saw the finished cars dollars signs in their dreams

Hey there Dave,

Good point about how you can move up in the hobby by trading up, I've done that myself, but with parts. When I had my 1970 GTX in the mid 1980's, I bought a bunch of parts from a local guy who was parting out another GTX. I was able to get a complete front clip, including an air grabber hood, two doors, & a pile of NOS trim & lenses, all for $400. I kept all of it & still have it except for the NOS trim & lenses that I listed on Moparts years later since I never did get another GTX. I was shocked that I got close to $1700 which I used to buy my '68 Charger shell. I even had money leftover.

If not for trading or selling up, I wouldn't have a lot of the cars & parts that I do have. I've also bought parts at junkyards when I see them while there for something else. They were fairly easy to get back then, but not now. I resold them at swap meets for what the average prices were. Am I a flipper? maybe in a way, but I never took advantage of someone to get something cheap with plans to resell it because they had no idea that something was worth more. I've given a few things away to friends, traded parts, & never usually worried about the value since I love the hobby as a hobby.

Heck, I've even driven 1700 miles round trip to swap a dash pad for a Vega hatch.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

oldcarnut

Hi Bob, I'm with ya on the hobby.  I finally got around to opening the box and the pad looked great  :2thumbs:. Looking forward to the day I get to the stage of my interior--sometime this year  :lol: and seeing the hatch on your Charger.   Nuttin wrong with making some honest money.  I may have a little bit of flipper in me also but I've done it just a few times to make some money for my own car needs when an opportunity presented itself.

rob-dirt

Quote from: rob-dirt on January 23, 2010, 10:11:37 AM
Thats about right for that car remeber 2006 price are over - WHEN YOUR WORRIED ABOUT THE MONEY ITS NO LONER A HOBBY  :icon_smile_cool:

AUTO ON THE COLUMN
NO BACK PLUG
NO A PILLER MOLDINGS
THATS JUST A GLANCE
DONT KNOW WHAT THE PARKING LIGHT ARE OFF OF
A GOOD SET OF MAG 500,S WOULD LOOK BETTER
THEY JUST PUT A WING , STRIPE AND NOSE ON IT ! STILL THINK ITS CHEEP ? :shruggy: STILL A NICE CAR

YOU CAN STILL BUY IT IF YOU WANT   :o  ITS FOR SALE ON MOPARTS

ramairthree

Im with you on trading up.  If a guy owns something that goes up in value later on, good for him.

I am all for guys that buy something and can put their time and labor into it for a profit, wheter a hobby or business.

I would just as soon buy from owners though, not guys flipping.  Or dealers that buy, do nothing to it, and then sell for a profit.

I remember trying to get some toys for the kids.  Losers were hanging out at the stores, buying all the high demand toys, and then selling  them for a profit on ebay.  Similar principal.  Prices going up for the end owner buyer because people that did not make, do, produce, etc. anything just getting in the middle and driving costs up.

Just my opinion of something I dont like and think is bad for the hobby. I would rather a guy buy a 10 k car and spend 10k on american businesses for parts and labor than 20K for a 10k car a dealer made 10k on.  Not trying to convince anybody, but its how I look at it.