News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stupid rearend question

Started by Bandit72, December 07, 2005, 12:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

ok, i currently in my parts pile have a complete rear-end assembly out of a 65 dodge shortbed truck with 3.91 posi gears (mopar 8 3/4), but like i say this is out of a pickup truck. besides having to move the shock mounts and leaf spring "pads" will this work or be too narrow, i'm thinking it'll be way to narrow but i figured i'd check before i go and find an assembly out of a 71-72 B-Body....

thanks Bandit
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Blown70

I think a truck one is wider than a car.  I could be wrong usually they have to be narrowed a bit and with the other things you noted I now the leaf pads need to be moved.

Tom

andy74

im pretty sure blown is correct,there was a rear end width chart,i think on the moparts tech page?i found this chart,no truck info though

Duey

Unless you want to run very skinny tires, you'll have to shorten the axel tubes which also means you'll need new axels...might be cheaper just to find a cheap B-body 8 3/4 rear axel (like with an open 2.76 in it...use this "horrible differential" as leverage at the wrecker yad..."Man, a 2.76 open...that's horrible!  I'll give you $50 to take it off your hands!")  :D

Then you can  transplant your 3.91 Sure-Grip pig onto the B-body axel...might be a cheaper way to go with less messing around.

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

cudaken

:iagree: with Duey. Andy, the speck's you posted will be helpfull for many. I am saving it.

Ken

I am back