News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hedman Headers installed now plug wire issues

Started by Rayzor, February 12, 2010, 06:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

Ok, went with the headman headers on my 68 440. Overall they went in fairly easy considering the horror stories I have heard. They only just touch the torsion bar on the drivers side so I need to make a dimple there. Spark plug wires are gonna be  the issue that I forsee. There is less then a quarter inch clearence in some spots. So what are you guys doing to keep from cooking your plug wire boots. And who sells the best plug wires hands down for living in frying temps. would like to get this right the first time around. also was there not a spark plug floating around that had a shorter body. Anyone have a make and part number for the beast that will fit a 440

flyinlow

Accel makes a shorty spark plug. I use Jegs plug boot covers on two plugs ,they help. I carry a spare plug and coil wire in the cars tool kit.

Rayzor

I found the plugs thanks! I was thinking about using some of that header heat wrap stuff up near the plugs to give the boots a chance. Any thoughts?

elacruze

Quote from: Rayzor on February 13, 2010, 12:03:06 AM
I found the plugs thanks! I was thinking about using some of that header heat wrap stuff up near the plugs to give the boots a chance. Any thoughts?

What no pictures?

Heat wrap works, the problems are many-it absorbs water, so makes your headers rust if they're not coated. It gets dirty and ugly over time. It's hard to keep attached and close to the header, usually ends up looking like the Mummy.
That's my experience with motorcycles, never used it in a car where the wind isn't an issue.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Paul G

The best plug wires I have used are Firecore's. Just put a set on my 360. Ron, "firefighter3931" can get you a set.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=250 

Tell him what you have. They can use straight and angled plug boots to help get around the headers.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

c00nhunterjoe

weird, i run heddmans on my 383 without issue on plug wires. should be the same clearance at teh heads on both our engines. mine however are 1 3/4's do you have the 1 7/8's?

Rayzor

Yes mine are the 1 7/8 and they are tight. I have ordered the accel shorty plugs and msd wires with boot covers from jegs. I am thinkin about getting some header wrap for just the area around the high heat area near the plugs and starter. I have other issues now though. I discovered one of my exhaust bolt holes is mostly stripped. When you run the nut down on the stud it starts pulling it out. of coarse its the second to the back port so clearence for a drill and tap is not going to happen. any ideas short of pulling the head?

firefighter3931

Rayzor,

Can you post some pics of those trouble spots ? It might help to see how tight the clearance is  :yesnod:

You can heat up and dimple the header tubes for additional clearance if need be.  ;)

Keep a close eye on those MSD wires....the plug boots are made of plastic and will split if exposed to heat....then you get a light show under the hood and lots of misfiring.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenpigs

MSD wires are pricey so I would get some 'socks' for the boots. Plus you can re use them if you get another set of wires. Alot of us have switched to Firecore 50 wires as mentioned earlier. Can you return the MSD's?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Rayzor

I will call Jegs and see if I can turn back the wires. Also I will attempt to get a pic of the problem area.

Silver R/T

that's why I still don't have headers on my car, cheap ones suck and I'm saving for quality ones
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

I run Hedman headers and they fit fine, its the BIG boot they put on MSD wires that is the problem. My Firecore 50 wires fit just dandy around my $160 headers. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Rayzor

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 14, 2010, 03:11:15 PM
that's why I still don't have headers on my car, cheap ones suck and I'm saving for quality ones
I really cannot complain about the headers fit or quality. To be honest I am really impressed with how well they stuffed into such tight confines. The ground clearence is real good to, maybe about a inch below the oil pan. There could be more room near the plugs and starter, thats my only bitch for now. Im sure with proper parts selection I will get past that to.

c00nhunterjoe

i have yet to see a header on a big block that i liked how they fit around the starter...fenderwell headers excluded

Purple440

I have hedmans also and with my long boot taylors I have to bend some of then to fit, which makes it tough to know for sure it they're all the way on the plug because I can't get enough leverage to push hard.  And I'm concerned they loosen up with engine vibration.

sucks!