News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optima batteries?

Started by Ghoste, February 01, 2010, 11:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Overpriced hype or electrical secret weapon?

elacruze

I'm a believer that with batteries, you get what you pay for. I have a pair of yellow-tops in my pickup that were stone dead and 1-1/2 years old when I got them (at the RV dealer) nearly 3 years ago. They sit in the truck for 6 months at a time and maybe get run once if the girls remember to start it. So far, it fires right up when I come home with no sign of deterioration. No wet battery would stand up to that sort of abuse without failure.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Lennard

Electrical secret weapon, one of the best batteries available. :Twocents:

Ghoste

The reason I ask is because it seems like all of a sudden I'm hearing a lot of stories about them not holding a charge.

bakerhillpins

Hearing from where? The net. Lots of times one thing makes the rounds several times (we all get the same email joke several times) and it seems that way.

You do get what you pay for, all across the board with battery tech. Plus, all batteries have to be cared for per mfgs instructions no matter what.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

No, not the net.  It's from sources I trust in the line of work that I'm in and it's old car related employment so it wasn't something I took lightly.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on February 02, 2010, 01:17:29 PM
No, not the net.  It's from sources I trust in the line of work that I'm in and it's old car related employment so it wasn't something I took lightly.

Ok, So if they are being handled per specs then they could have hit a quality problem. Check their webpage/press releases to see if they moved their production facilities lately?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

LeadfootBob

Used an older version in a commuter car for three years without a hitch, and it was a hand-me-down from a guy well-known for beating on his vehicles. One of the terminals was cocked almost 45 degrees in the mounting hole (I 've always wondered how he managed to do THAT),  didn't seem to hurt performance at all. Since then I'm a firm believer in these things. Come to think of it, the battery was probably worth thrice as much as the car  :lol:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Rolling_Thunder

Well...   I have had 3 Optima batteries go dead on me for no apparent reason - they also did not hold a charge after said event...          one even ruptured - don't know how that one happened - apparently I just have really bad luck.   

Others have had good success with them and never an issue....      I guess I just have poor luck.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

The Optima batteries used to be a quality product but the company was sold in the last 2 years and the product has suffered negatively. I went with an Oddysey battery which is a true waterless unit that employs MAB technology. These are Military grade batteries and aren't cheap but they carry a punch. The one i'm using now is slightly smaller than a Group 24 but has 1500 CCA's. Average service life is 10 years and it can be left alone for 24 months then brought back to full charge.  :2thumbs:

When the batteries on the Dually crap out i'll be installing a pair of Oddysey's....but it won't be cheap.  :P

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

E5 Charger

I've had one in my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee since Jan of 2005 and it still works great. It's been through some very cold Canadian winters. I love it and I never have to clean the posts. I was planning to buy one for my Charger when it is finished, since I won't drive it in the winter and they are supposed to hold their charge better. I'm sorry to hear they aren't the same any more.

Silver R/T

I bought one brand new. It sat in Charger for few weeks at a time cause I didn't drive it. It was disconnected. Now it just doesn't take charge. They're overpriced crap imo. I'll just stick with good old lead battery
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FLG

Ive had good luck with my yellow top so far. Judging by the reviews now ill probably switch over to a odyssey when the time comes.

matrout76

I've been hearing about Optimas not holding a charge, but haven't experienced it.  I have an Optima blue top in each of my Jeeps (YJ and CJ-8) and have a couple red-tops of others that get used for various things.

the red tops were free because they "wouldn't hold a charge".  when i hooked my electronic Vector battery charger up to them, the "FAULT" light would come on.  so, i hooked up my 1 amp Schumaker trickle charger and let it sit for a few days.  after that, they were fine.

On my YJ, an interior light was left on for a few weeks and the battery was DEAD.  I jump started the engine, but it would die after removing the jumper cables.  i hooked up the 1 amp trickle charger for a few days and its been fine ever since (at least 3 years ago).  this is my off-road /  snow-plow jeep and the battery gets used hard during winching and running the plow.

for less than $20, you can pick up a 1 amp trickle charger and try to bring the battery back from the dead.  if it works, please let me know.  so far, i haven't heard of it not working yet.

Matt

devilgear

My Optima has been great.Plus it came with an 8 year warrenty...I think the first 5 years if its broke the replace it..The last 3 are pro rated...I also know that Sams Club here in Mn sells them for like $50 less than anyone else...These batteries kick ass.My Charger has allways fired right up when I use it...I keep mine in the basment by the way in the winter...

Cooperman

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

68 CHARGER R/T

i'd recommend the redtop optima over the yellow .cause the yellow is more for stereo buffs who need the batteries to recharge at a quicker rate  :Twocents:

Purple68

I had a red top fail after not being used much for a couple seasons. It was only 2 years old. This time after a lot of research I bought one made by East Penn. I think if I was buying another Optima I'd go yellow top for a car that's used seasonally.

Chryco Psycho

you cannot let them sit but mine lasted 13 years in my daily driver