News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a starter problem or something else?

Started by dspaulding70, February 06, 2010, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

Drove my charger around today in Austin.  Weather was 70 degrees and sunny!  Wonderful time and could not stop having people come talk to me about the car.  Must have put 100 miles on it today.....started and stopped the vehicle a dozen times or more.  Left lots of tread on the streets!!!!

When I got home, I turned it off, went inside and came back outside about 15 minutes later.  Car would not start.  I could hear the starter trying to turn over which it did very slowly.  No clicking like a typical dad battery.  Checked voltage and getting 12 across the battery which drops to 9 when I try to start car.  Tried to jump start with no success.

Took battery to get tested.  I have a Optima Yellow top and it checked out fine so battery does not seem to be the problem.

Starter is from 440 source and it is one of their mini starters.  Car only have 200 miles since the complete rebuild so the starter is practically new.

Any thoughts?

Charger-Bodie

Some starters will do that when they get hot. Did it start later after cooling off?

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

Check ground straps, battery cable connections and starter mounting bolts.

TylerCharger69

i agree....and....is there a heat shield to protect it?

john.v

had this on my drag race car, find out that my + cable was to thin.
it refuses to start after some start and switch off in the pit lane. Smell some rubber melting. after some check and replace the cable for a ticker one. no more trouble after that.

elacruze

Leaky rear main seal/greasy block + loose bolts + heat = no ground.

It's a high probability that you have a circuit problem not a starter/battery problem. Since the solenoid is staying engaged, it's most likely on the ground side of the starter/engine/body/battery.

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

stevekarlo

Could be a timing issue. If you have way lots of advance once the car heats up and you turn the engine off the heat generated prevents the engine from turning over with that much advance (at least I seem to remember reading that somewhere before)