News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Network connection

Started by charger_cody, February 08, 2010, 08:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

What do I need to get wireless internet on my computer (not a laptop) from my router?

Cody

green69rt

Quote from: charger_cody on February 08, 2010, 08:27:59 PM
What do I need to get wireless internet on my computer (not a laptop) from my router?

Cody

Just go to Best Buy.  They'll probably tell you that you need a wireless internet card.  It's really just a radio receiver that you mount inside your computer.  Not a big deal.  You'll also need a wireless router to transmit.

Mitch

charger_cody

Quote from: green69rt on February 08, 2010, 08:39:26 PM

Cody

Just go to Best Buy.  They'll probably tell you that you need a wireless internet card.  It's really just a radio receiver that you mount inside your computer.  Not a big deal.  You'll also need a wireless router to transmit.

Mitch

Thanks mitch!!!

Any clue how much one is?

bakerhillpins

Cody

Don't buy a card, buy a USB based wireless adapter. That way you can use it on any PC. Run anywhere from 8 bucks to 100.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

FLG

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 08, 2010, 10:48:41 PM

Cody

Don't buy a card, buy a USB based wireless adapter. That way you can use it on any PC. Run anywhere from 8 bucks to 100.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

Bryan

Good idea,

But i find that the USB based cards are slower than the internal ones. Its your call, but if your only going to use it on that computer and nothing else...go internal.

charger_cody

Ya the one I am using it for is my gaming computer. So it will be strictly for that one. Just needed to make sure that I am going to best way. But I think I may run a cord through the attic.

Cody

FLG

Quote from: charger_cody on February 08, 2010, 11:42:35 PM
Ya the one I am using it for is my gaming computer. So it will be strictly for that one. Just needed to make sure that I am going to best way. But I think I may run a cord through the attic.

Cody

If your going to do any online gaming run a Cat 5 cable up to it...you will get much better speed. Alot of time the wifi tends to lag under heavy loads.

charger_cody

Is a cat 5 cable expensive. I think I may need about 100ft ish.

Cody

FLG

Check newegg.com....even amazon has some good deals sometimes.

Best thing to do is get online, local best buy will rape you...if they even have it that long.

A383Wing

Quote from: charger_cody on February 08, 2010, 11:45:38 PM

Cody

I got a 100' Cat 5 cable at Frys last year for less than $10

charger_cody

Quote from: A383Wing on February 08, 2010, 11:53:21 PM
Quote from: charger_cody on February 08, 2010, 11:45:38 PM

Cody

I got a 100' Cat 5 cable at Frys last year for less than $10

Whats frys?

1970Moparmann

I second the opinion--run the cable.  You won't be happy with the wireless card on a desktop.   :cheers:  www.frys.com is the website.  You can pick up a CAT5 at Home Depot, Radio Shack....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

FLG

http://www.frys.com/

Do a bit of shopping online...honestly you can probably get it for around 7-10$...just find out who has the best shipping price or best price overall if you want...might save a few bucks.

Maybe look local, but usually there overpriced...highly. If you can get it locally for 10-15$...maybe even 20$ go for it just for the convenience.