News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapping distributor springs

Started by greenpigs, March 04, 2010, 09:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

Anyone use the Moroso springs listed to bring all the mechanical advance in between 2000 to 2800 RPM? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-925B/

I see they are just called the limiter springs....do lighter weights(not springs) help manipulate the curve even more or are just the springs enough. By that I am saying the lighter weight enables the springs to move quicker and the mechanical advance as well? This is a tuning 101 question I guess and Big Squeezes DVD said to not use too weak of a spring. I have a little flutter now when checking the timing that I believe to be from weak springs installed years ago. So my thinking is these are the ticket for the curve I want and takes the trial and error out...or should at least be close. Plus at $5 it's worth a try. :scratchchin:

I didn't see anything when I searched for this subject, which is why I posted.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

Lighter weights move the advance more slowly, lighter springs move it more quickly.

greenpigs

Guess there isnt much to this subject.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

It really depends what vintage distributor you have. The older stock & MP distributors had a slow curve....there was one heavy and one medium spring installed in those and the curve was slow. Using the Mr Gasket #925 kit worked well....the trick was to keep the medium spring and replace the heavy spring with one from that kit.

The newer MP distributors come with lighter weight springs and the curve is more performance oriented coming all in by 2500 so in that case the spring re-curve kit isn't needed.

I guess the answer is ; it depends. Get a timing light on your motor and note the rpm at which the curve no longer advances....then decide from there.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs