News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine/tranny from below

Started by HeavyFuel, February 03, 2010, 05:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

When doing a complete resto/reassembly of the car:

Any thoughts on assembling the k frame with engine, tranny, and suspension, then lowering the body onto the assembly, similiar to how the factory did it?  What are some of the pros and cons?  I can think of some, but what are your thoughts?

I have thought about doing this, however I am a little concerned about getting the car safely into the air and then lowered again in a highly controlled manner.  I am working out of a home garage.  :rotz:

FLG

With a nice hoist or crane it shouldnt be a problem. Its really the best way IMO if your going to do not only a engine and tranny rebuilt, but also a front end rebuild as well.

As long as the back wheels have stoppers on em i dont see any real major safety issues, besides foward and backwards i cant see it going anywhere.

khodne

I just did it that way last fall.  Was very easy.  Lifted the front end with a cherry picker and set the car onto the k-frame only the four bolts to tighten to 150 ft lbs and a cross member to install.  Here's a link to some of the pictures.  www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62330.0.html  I didn't assemble the front suspension until after the k-frame was in.  I've seen others assemble the majority of the suspension before installing.

HeavyFuel

Thanks.....good info on the link, and your install.  Yours is coming along nicely, maybe in about 6-8 months I'll be at the same point.

mjolson

I have removed the drivetrain and front suspension this way and will give two bits of my experience.  Make sure before you are dangling your car in the air that the hoist hydraulics are bled properly allowing you to lift high enough and that the garage ceiling gives enough clearance.  You may find yourself pulling your manifold from underneath a dangling car for that extra inch of clearance.  Otherwise, worked great!

kamkuda

I did not know how easy it was going to be to install the engine from the bottom I did it last fall and it Worked beautifully :2thumbs:

oldschool

it,s the only way i do it. it makes it very easy if you have a lift  :yesnod:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!