News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting my 69 Charger, in my driveway

Started by miller time, January 24, 2010, 08:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

My car needs to be strippd to metal and painted completely, I have all the i need accept the paint currently. Me and abuddy of mine are going to sandblast the car completely then I have to spray primer soon after that, my question is how can I get the bottom of the car? I have jacks, winches, and an engine hoist, any ideas?
And for those that care, http://socaltrucks.com/html/archive_images/2007_silverado_web.jpg , thatsthe color I'm ging with, 2 stage, mid grade paint, high grade clear and low end primer. 2 gallons of everything cost is $584 or so.
Thanks

motorcitydak

The only good way to get to the bottom is to have the car on a rotisserie. If you think about it, you would want the car at atleast a 45 degree angle so you can get to everything with the blaster and paint gun. I would not recommend trying to tilt the car that far over using a few hi lift jacks or something. You can pull the car up onto 2 ramps on 1 side to tilt it a little but be careful not to pull the car off the other end.

I am goint to spray the bottom of my car with the eastwood rubberized undercoating BTW. You could probably get that done by tilting the car just enough
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Silver R/T

You don't want to sandblast the car, it will warp body panels.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

69bronzeT5

I assume media blasting is the better way?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi-hampton

I've painted under carriages with out a Rotisserrie, You'll need a Pressure pot to do it though. LEON.

moparguy01

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 25, 2010, 08:48:19 PM
You don't want to sandblast the car, it will warp body panels.

Not if your careful. I've done it many times without any problems whatsoever. Use an extreme angle on the gun, and keep a good distance from the panels and MOVE FAST. I never had a warping issue. But i would definately recommend using a crap fender or something to practice. You will go through a huge amount of sand here, but thats what happens.

68r/t

You will also need a serious compressor, those 2hp ones will have a cardiac arrest trying to keep up.

69DodgeCharger

I figured you would end up ruining that car and that is exactly what will happen if you sandblast it. You can buy an entire roll of 80 grit paper for pretty cheap and strip it. Why don't you trade that thing off to somebody who will fix it correctly for something you can just get in and drive. Shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Finn

A DA sander would be much safer than sandblasting.  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Finn

But to answer your question, if the paint/coating is still decent on the bottom of the car I would leave it and just touch up where you need to.
Also, if you're going to spray it in the driveway Id look into making some sort of paint booth. A car tent with sides that zip up would help keep dust, bugs, leaves, etc, off the paint. My friend made one out of basic lumber and heavy duty plastic painters tarp (which you can get at home depot).
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

miller time

69DodgeCharger, it's yours minus drivetrain for $20k :yesnod:
But since you wont pay that, lets not go there.
Well everything went to hell, as close to literal as posible, so new plan, finish the cowl, I have paint and primer for it, do the door jams, do some body work and drag it to a paint shop and get a $350-$500 paint job on the out sides and engine bay.
I just got a job so that should help, and I have some money to throw around, checks from my last jobs just showed up, finally.
Well its prep, pain and panel bond the cowl back to close to stock. Still going with the silver color, then either get it painted or driveing, I think painted first, then finish building it.
Thanks, my computer is a POS so if i dont get on for another month, it's not personal. :2thumbs: